Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Apr 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3055931)   #1
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Drivers' Parade

Despite this year being my dad's 22nd Le Mans and my 13th, neither of us have ever been to the drivers' parade!

So, I was wondering, as a first timer, what advice and tips those of you who have been might have for me.

It would also be appreciated if anyone could reccomend a decent restaurant in the city centre, for we intend to eat there on that Friday.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3055938)   #2
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I went for the first time last year and didn't rate it at all.

Despite a lot of people saying it was pretty average we went because I think you do need to go and see these things for yourself.

I just got bored of waiting around. You need to get there very early. And I'd say your enjoyment will depend on where you end up standing.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3055951)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ginge,

The problem with the Parade is that to get a good view you have to bag a place at the fence early doors, so as others have suggested there's lot of hanging around.

The other technique is to just sit at a table at one of the bars in the Place de la Republique and then watch the parade from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It would also be appreciated if anyone could reccomend a decent restaurant in the city centre, for we intend to eat there on that Friday.
We normally eat at either the Le Mans Legends Café or the Bar Bureau, they are both part of the same chain and do not too bad pizzas and similar 'pub grub'. Both are just off the square. The Leg-ends has plenty of memorabilia on show. If you want something posher then head to the Old Town area.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3055953)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The drivers throw things out, photo cards and the like. For some reason, this makes people go pretty mental. I saw a grown man pinch a cap out of a young boy's hand, for example...

If you can find a place with a decent view and respectful people, it can be pretty good. They often have some really cool cars in a parade before the drivers come out.

Worth doing once or twice, but it's not something I'd make an annual tradition of.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3055971)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been several times in recent years, the last being in 2009 when the Tourists famously 'landlocked' themselves within the parade route and couldn't get out until the roads were opened again (see my 2009 story). In my opinion, it's worth doing once, just to experience it. You may not want to do it again, unless you're an autograph hunter. For the last two years I did it, I hung around in the collection area at the start - you see far more of the drivers than just standing somewhere on the route.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk/gallery/20...e4/09page4.htm

If you can get right into the centre of the town, the restaurants in the square near the Hotel de Ville (the city hall) are very good.

This was from 2008 - it's Tenther AllonFS in the red shirt. This was at Le Fontainebleau. Note that this isn't a chain or fast-food, it's the real deal.... But I imagine Eric (Batmobile) can give you better advice than I can - as he's a local!

Old 9 Apr 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3055985)   #6
silas184
Rookie

silas184 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worth doing once I think, notorious in our experience for pickpockets.
One of our party had someone nick his wallet and get away in the crowd a few years ago. Difficult to get a restaurant due to the crowds involved.
Old 9 Apr 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3055992)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You'll be lucky to just walk into any decent restaurant on that night. We booked in advance. The first year we ate in the square there (in a different restaurant in 2006), we'd booked at lunchtime and just got in. We were a party of 6, so it was a good earner for them..... (particularly if they'd known how much wine we'd be ordering.... ).
Old 9 Apr 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3055999)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If your not looking for anything fancy there are lots of temporary bars and restaurants in the main square. We stay in the town last year and it was very easy for us. We stayed in the bars while the tram filled up!
Old 9 Apr 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3056005)   #9
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We just went to a restaurant in the main square positioned pretty much behind where they positioned the grandstand. Nothing fancy but it filled the hole.

When we'd finished we went and got a pretty marginal place. Not a brilliant view by that time. Could have done with a bit of local knowledge and prior planning. Where Ayse went sounds like a good idea. It was pretty obvious that no drivers were going to venture over to us. Was nice to see the 787B so close up but after a lot of waiting we left after about three crews had gone past!
Old 9 Apr 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3056023)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'd definitely recommend hanging around the 'collection area' as I call it. Our Chief Tourist managed to walk in with no accreditation at all. We came to the conclusion that they thought he was Hugh Chamberlain.....

As to eating habits, the Tourists always liked to do things in style...... It's why I'm the shape I am......
Old 9 Apr 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3056027)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Its not a patch on what it usd to be . Personally , I wouldnt do it again .
Old 9 Apr 2012, 20:47 (Ref:3056033)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think that's the key word, G - 'again'. Most of us have done it and bought the proverbial t-shirt. But once is likely to be enough for most. Personally, I'd rather have a nice quiet meal out on Friday night (as I shall this year) and (dare I say) get an early night in preparation for the rigours to come!
Old 9 Apr 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3056075)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
with the tram now working so well it is easy to get there and back but to get a good view like everyone else says you will have to get there early and stand around for hours, after the parade it will be hard to get into any place to eat so perhaps better to head back to camp and start the BBQ up
Old 10 Apr 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3056360)   #14
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank you for the responses, they're all appreciated. I guess it's a case of going in to the town earlier in the week and booking a restaurant if we want something nice as a group?

We're not going with high expectations, and we intend to go back to the campsight and soak up the traditional friday night atmosphere there; it's just a case of actually doing it, so we're not bothered about views or getting autographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
The drivers throw things out, photo cards and the like. For some reason, this makes people go pretty mental. I saw a grown man pinch a cap out of a young boy's hand, for example...
I'm very aware of this sort of thing, it happens on the Friday pitwalk. When I was 11, a grown man of around 50 snatched a signed Aston Martin flag out of my hand.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3056775)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Oh sorry, was that you.........?

Old 11 Apr 2012, 00:01 (Ref:3056883)   #16
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We always have a big lunch before going into the town and then once there just go with the flow ! We've gate crashed the collection area a few times in the past with not too much problem, now though we tend to find a nice viewing point, sitting on grass relaxing whilst enjoying the parade .
If you want to meet the drivers, place yourselves near the end of the parade route, there you will find that most are happy to chat and sign autographs. It can often be total chaos down there when nobody seems to know what is going on, so be prepared, especially if it rains !
We do as GT6 does and have a good old fashioned BBQ back at base when we return.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3057974)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Autograph hunters are far better off getting to Le Mans early for the scrutineering. When I went in 2010, they were just wandering around amongst the punters. I mean James even completely missed Alan McNish walking past him as he was hob-knobbing with the people from Strakka.....
Old 12 Apr 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3058099)   #18
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Autograph hunters are far better off getting to Le Mans early for the scrutineering. When I went in 2010, they were just wandering around amongst the punters. I mean James even completely missed Alan McNish walking past him as he was hob-knobbing with the people from Strakka.....
Allan who?
Old 15 Apr 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3059318)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
McGnash.........

Old 15 Apr 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3059486)   #20
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I've been several times in recent years, the last being in 2009 when the Tourists famously 'landlocked' themselves within the parade route and couldn't get out until the roads were opened again (see my 2009 story). In my opinion, it's worth doing once, just to experience it. You may not want to do it again, unless you're an autograph hunter. For the last two years I did it, I hung around in the collection area at the start - you see far more of the drivers than just standing somewhere on the route.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk/gallery/20...e4/09page4.htm

If you can get right into the centre of the town, the restaurants in the square near the Hotel de Ville (the city hall) are very good.

This was from 2008 - it's Tenther AllonFS in the red shirt. This was at Le Fontainebleau. Note that this isn't a chain or fast-food, it's the real deal.... But I imagine Eric (Batmobile) can give you better advice than I can - as he's a local!

It depends if you want to eat along the drivers' parade way or not. Then we have to wait for the drivers' parade plan into the center of the town because of the big works for the second tram line.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 11:08 (Ref:3628468)   #21
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Friday Parade in Town

I was told that because of security the drivers parade route will be modified and so not go up to the Place des Jacobins by the way under the "tunnel". No new route now.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3628469)   #22
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
I was told that because of security the drivers parade route will be modified and so not go up to the Place des Jacobins by the way under the "tunnel". No new route now.
This is the first time I've heard something changed for "security" reasons. In a funny way, for my own piece of mind, I hope for more of the same.

On one level, I really don't want to give certain groups the satisfaction of having any worry or fear about Le Mans this year. But it would also feel quite nice to feel protected. The security is quite low at Le Mans for an event of its size.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:22 (Ref:3628470)   #23
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
This is the first time I've heard something changed for "security" reasons. In a funny way, for my own piece of mind, I hope for more of the same.

On one level, I really don't want to give certain groups the satisfaction of having any worry or fear about Le Mans this year. But it would also feel quite nice to feel protected. The security is quite low at Le Mans for an event of its size.
Remember security can more than anti-terror. It could be that the current route is too tight for the increasing number of spectators.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:40 (Ref:3628471)   #24
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Remember security can more than anti-terror. It could be that the current route is too tight for the increasing number of spectators.
Of course! I wasn't thinking it was for any other reason, but I highlighted the word because this year there are other considerations.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 16:53 (Ref:3628472)   #25
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
Because of the public overhanging the street that goes to the Place des Jacobins.