Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 21 May 2003, 15:35 (Ref:606002)   #1
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knockhill - "longest straight in rallycross!!"

Despite only 3/4 of the straight at Knockhill being used Wheatley reckons that they will be touching 125mph in a modified machine.........just imagine what the supercars will be doing!! wahoo!! sunday could be fun! wheel hoping, kerb riding and some super duper doughnut action could be in store.

here is an article published in this evenings Evening Chronicle newspaper...............

Article starts------------------------------->

"RALLYCROSS ace Des Wheatley has been working feverishly on his car in readiness for this weekend's British and BRDA Championship rounds at Knockhill.

The Hartlepool driver has made a string of improvements to his Rover Metro, including changes to the anti-roll bar to stiffen the car up on the tarmac, installing a data-logging system and repositioning the radiator.

Rallycross returned to Knockhill for the first time in a decade last year - and Wheatley, along with Northallerton's Dave Bellerby (Nova), was one of only a handful of modified class drivers in action that day.

"It's got the fastest straight in rallycross," explained Wheatley. "We'll be touching 125-130mph."

Wheatley is currently sixth in the overall modified table with 170 points while Bellerby is second on 350 - 40 adrift of leader Christopher Evans (Micra).

Bellerby is also sixth in the revived British Championship, in which points are taken from the Superfinal which also includes the supercars."

<------------------------------------Article ends

Last edited by Peter S; 21 May 2003 at 15:36.
Old 24 May 2003, 09:03 (Ref:608566)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not often Knockhill get's the title of having the longest straight in a series. Usually it gets the most "mickey mouse" award...

It'll be a spectacular sight I hope - have never been at a Rally Cross event before!
Old 24 May 2003, 11:09 (Ref:608615)   #3
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Dont worry touringlegend, you will be converted. Rallycross is the best sport on 4 wheels. By the end of tommorow night, you will be aghast and you will be a regular spectator.......rallycross has that kind of infection on people!

Gollop v Doran v Carnegie! all going side by side down duffus dip...... Although there may be a few red flags around with Rob Gibson present!
Old 24 May 2003, 13:18 (Ref:608663)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter S, ever thought of offering your services for the promotion of the British and European Rallycross Championship.

Your entusiasm for the sport is whats needed to get TV executive/magazine editors etc. interested in rallycross again.
Old 24 May 2003, 14:07 (Ref:608691)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter S
Dont worry touringlegend, you will be converted. Rallycross is the best sport on 4 wheels. By the end of tommorow night, you will be aghast and you will be a regular spectator.......rallycross has that kind of infection on people!

The BTCC had that effect on me at Knockhill in 1999..
Old 24 May 2003, 15:04 (Ref:608729)   #6
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
JAG i would love to become heavily involved in the media for rallycross. The only problem is Rallycross is a closed shop for professionals, which is the overall problem with the sport. In Britian you cant get a look in because the one person has got it sewn up. In Europe they have the press association which is farcial. So it is frustrating. At the moment i am just finishing my degree (2 weeks left) but after that i have the ambition to get try and do this professionaly. at the moment it is done for the love of the sport, but i am working with someone else on a big project for rallycross at the moment and hopefully this will come off.

At the mean time follow the European series live on www.rallycross.nl (this weekend is French round) Peter G will provide live coverage all weekend, and tommorow night i will bring full coverage from Knockhill when i get home about 9/10pm.

Touring Car legend - if the Btcc had that effect on you then Rallycross will give you goose bumps!!
Old 24 May 2003, 15:36 (Ref:608751)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I'll go there with an open mind, and hey I could become obsessional about it.
Old 24 May 2003, 15:41 (Ref:608753)   #8
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Okdokie!! Dont forget action starts bright and early with practice at 9am!!
Old 24 May 2003, 15:47 (Ref:608754)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I was planning to leave the house at that time...

Never mind, I'll got to bed an hour earlier tonight
Old 25 May 2003, 20:35 (Ref:609860)   #10
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I am just back and I had a great day. met lots of old friens and found some new ones. The weather was excellent and the dust became a problem towards the end. I will be posting photos when I get the chance.
The Superfinal was a real dogs dinner though and was potentially very dangerous. Did you see those marshals jump when they heard the cars go? Also Doran knew the track wasn't clear which is why he didn't go. Is two radio coms legal for Rallycross?
Old 25 May 2003, 20:49 (Ref:609873)   #11
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
knockhill

Hi alpina you enjoy yourself at the meeting,any chance you could tell us result of the super final!,just a teaser before our resident roving reporter logs in and updates us all with his report.
Old 25 May 2003, 20:56 (Ref:609880)   #12
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No worrys i see our reporter is online just sit waiting patiently for Mr S to re-live today.No doubt iit will be worth the wait.Just found out the results from Mr G's website about the French ERC just need Knockhill then i can sleep well tonight..lol

Last edited by schanche; 25 May 2003 at 20:57.
Old 25 May 2003, 21:29 (Ref:609909)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Dermot Carnegie won it at the end, which was about 6 bloody 30!!!

It was kind of p***ing me off today with the length it went on for to be honest but I guess it was a bad day in terms of red flags and there's nothing no-one could do about it. In saying that though things ran very smoothly and was there really 50 races?! I like the format of short, quick heats, it keeps you on your toes and your eyes open. I still just haven't quite got the format of a Rally Cross day.

I was sat taking piccies near the start of the shale section (opposite where the cars take a left and a slight dip) and I just moved and bang...Lawrence Gibson rolls it with my back to it..after I had spent 20 mins taking pics right at that bit! Went up to the paddock to watch the "repair" job - what a team they are!

I'd definitely go back to another event - next time though I'd take the goggles to stop the dust getting in my eyes! It was so exhilirating..the first time the supercars went by me they literally did take my breath away!
Old 26 May 2003, 17:36 (Ref:610655)   #14
Alpina
Veteran

I was in a great situation as I had old friends involved in the meeting both as a competitor (Stuart Waite) and as a scrutineer! I have a big pile of pics but I haven't got them all labelled and resized yet.
Old 30 May 2003, 00:25 (Ref:614227)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Pics as promised Here
Old 30 May 2003, 09:19 (Ref:614514)   #16
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Cool pictures Touring Legend.
Old 30 May 2003, 15:27 (Ref:614853)   #17
Alpina
Veteran

I see you were down in the dip. Did you not get a bit dusty? A friend of mine had his hot tubs up in the pits and boy did they look inviting.
Old 30 May 2003, 16:15 (Ref:614932)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
It was dusty, but the only problem I got was it getting in my eyes - I wear contact lenses and it can get a bit of a problem when mixed with dust.

I saw those hot tubs too, boy they looked very big and very cool..!!!
Old 30 May 2003, 21:23 (Ref:615252)   #19
Alpina
Veteran

I am sure I could get you deal as I know the boss.Approx £10k a tub.
Old 30 May 2003, 21:45 (Ref:615271)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
LOL it'd look perfect on the patio..

Have you seen today's Sun Motors pullout? Your friend Stuart Waite's in their jumping out of his Fiesta, ripping off his race suit and it looks like he's joining a rather attractive lady in one of those afore-mentioned tubs.. Lucky bu**er!!!
Old 1 Jun 2003, 10:59 (Ref:616603)   #21
Alpina
Veteran

No missed that. Ray told me he had done the photos on Friday and was annoyed that they were not in the Sun on Saturday. He didn't tell me that Stuart (his brother) was in them.