Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Sep 2004, 06:03 (Ref:1091583)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 drivers that have achieved special things that marks them out as a bit special

Here's a thread on remembering which F1 drivers that have achieved special things in or on their way to F1 that can just mark them as a bit special ...

a couple to get us started ...

Jacques V ( wouldnt be right if we didnt start with Jacques would it ) ... POLE at his F1 debut in Melbourne in 96

Juan Montoya - Won the Indy 500 in 2000 as a rookie ...( 1st rookie to win at Indy since Graham Hill in 1966 ?

Last edited by Sato san; 10 Sep 2004 at 06:04.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 06:22 (Ref:1091598)   #2
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: F1 drivers that have achieved special things that marks them out as a bit special

How about Senna chasing down Prost (I believe) in Monaco in the rain while driving a Toleman? That race was conveniently cut short before he could catch him. Pure raw talent that was.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 06:55 (Ref:1091618)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah but Bellof had the legs of both of them.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 07:24 (Ref:1091630)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Gilles Villeneuve qualifying 7th in his first ever drive in an F1 car (Silverstone 1977) - Having never even driven the car before first practice it is said that hefound the cars limits by deliberately going progressively faster at each corner until the car spun. He was criticised for spinning so much until it was realised that he only spun once at each corner!
Old 10 Sep 2004, 07:40 (Ref:1091640)   #5
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if we start talking about bellof then we got to talk about that famous out lao at the 'Ring
Old 10 Sep 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1091663)   #6
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not something special in terms of an "event" but Schumachers first win - superb driving.

Irvine unlapping himself (not raw driving but showed his special attitude as a driver) at Suzuka against Senna in 93
Old 10 Sep 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1091680)   #7
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Surtees, World Champ on two and four wheels by the age of 30 surely ranks as one of the great achievements.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 08:55 (Ref:1091689)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mike Hawthorn. First British World Champion.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 08:59 (Ref:1091693)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Jody Schekter winning of the race debut of the Wolf Racing team
Old 10 Sep 2004, 09:11 (Ref:1091701)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jacky Ickx, first and only "almost" Belgian World Champion.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 09:43 (Ref:1091721)   #11
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna's outstanding qualifying lap around Monoco where he was faster that Prost by about a second or so and said he was driving beyond the capability's of himself and the car.

I really miss the life and times of this special driver.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 09:56 (Ref:1091732)   #12
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris Amon Never winning a grand prix
Old 10 Sep 2004, 10:00 (Ref:1091738)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I know some of you are going to moan, but Schumacher for winning seven world titles (and counting).

Mario Andretti for qualifying on pole for his first Grand Prix.

Jim Clark for, well, so many things: how about the British Grand Prix (forget which year) when his car kept popping out of gear and he had to drive one-handed, holding the gear-level in the gate?
Old 10 Sep 2004, 10:50 (Ref:1091772)   #14
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Hans Heyer

Failed to qualify his ATS/Penske for the 1977 German GP,so he illegaly drove out of the pits after the race had started and joined the fray.But before the stewards could disqualify him his car expired.
So he's special because hes the only driver to gate crash an F1 race.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 11:02 (Ref:1091784)   #15
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah....this is MUCH better than arguments over who was the best!

So many memories.Pitifully few lately of course.
In no order at all:

Shu's 7 titles (but who really cares-not many)
Senna chasing prost at monaco,prost winning or allmost winning the championship for so many years in a row,senna beating prost on their first head to head at mac in '88,Senna flogging prost most of the time,prost pushing senna so hard in the late eighties that senna lost the plot.
Prost easily beating the highly rated rosberg,mansell any time he's at the top of his form(but not talking).

Can't think of many since.
JV outqualifying DH at his first ever f1 race,anytime mika and micheal were racing for a title at suzuka (including eddie's title-look how FAR they left their pathetic team mates behind)

Earlir stuff that i read about:
Monza '71 (ALL of it),Hunt flogging Mass first time out in difficult conditions (for hunt- car troubles),anytime hunt was at his best.

Sadly i have never read or heard much about other greats or so called greats.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1091793)   #16
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso, the only driver I know who've lapped MSchumacher in the last eight years (or is that the last 14 years?).

Jos Verstappen, always at the wrong team at the wrong time
(So basicly never really achieved anything )

Last edited by Paddy_NL; 10 Sep 2004 at 11:07.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1091831)   #17
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jos? The right teams never hired him.....

No-one's yet mentioned Montoya setting the fastest lap in F1 history, or Rosberg holding that honour for 17 years. Jackie Stewart's win at the Nurburgring in 1968, by over 4 minutes in horrid conditions despite driving with a broken wrist, is perhaps the greatest of all under its circumstances.

Both Senna and Barrichello were super-human at Donington in 1993. I'd say Ayrton drove more truly incredible F1 moments than anyone else, even though his career was cut short by at least 2 years.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 11:55 (Ref:1091846)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rosberg for his fabulous Monaco win (I remember reading the paper the next day and the reporter recounting the blur of red gloves at work in every corner and half way down the straights, and also Keke's huge blisters on his palms after the race), and his outrageous 160mph Silverstone lap.

Mansell - almost too many golden moments to list, but battling through the field in Hungary, and knocking seconds off the lap record at Silverstone when he already had pole spring to mind.

You'll note that I have a rubbish memory for dates.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 12:13 (Ref:1091873)   #19
massifheed
Racer

massifheed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Damon Hill in the Arrows at (I think) Hungary in 1997.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 12:31 (Ref:1091899)   #20
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles 11 seconds faster than team mate Jody at watkins glen
Old 10 Sep 2004, 12:41 (Ref:1091908)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym
not something special in terms of an "event" but Schumachers first win - superb driving.

Irvine unlapping himself (not raw driving but showed his special attitude as a driver) at Suzuka against Senna in 93
And precisely what was "special" about that? (Irvine, I mean, not MS)

Last edited by Aysedasi; 10 Sep 2004 at 12:47.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 12:47 (Ref:1091913)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But the thread started in the vein of being/doing (something) special on the way to F1, so to get away from simple great memories, can I cite an example which will surprise a lot of people (as its in praise of TGF...... )

Michael's drive (unsuccessful, as it happens) at Le Mans for Mercedes in 1991. He was very quick.....prompting commentator Ian Titchmarsh to remark, "It can't be long before we see him move up to grand prix cars......."
Old 10 Sep 2004, 13:04 (Ref:1091935)   #23
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before F1; Mika Hakkinen coming from last on the grid at a ( short ) F3 race at Thruxton to finish 2nd just 2 seconds behind Mika Salo in identical cars.

Then;

Hakkinen qualifying halfway up the grid in his first GP in 1991 in a Lotus.

Finally;

Hakkinen outqualifying Senna in his first race for McLaren.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1091942)   #24
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
But the thread started in the vein of being/doing (something) special on the way to F1
It actually says" in or on the way".

Speaking of on the way - what about the remarkable feat of Kimi Raikonnen, who did almost nothing before F1. (OK, so what he did do he did rather well in, to say the least).
Old 10 Sep 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1091960)   #25
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, karts in 1998, some of 1999, FRenault in 2000, then F1 in 2001! Interesting that he started the 1999 FRenault season then was pulled out by his managers because Pizzonia was winning everything ( in a different chassis it must be said ).

So one of Raikkonen's moments on his way to F1 would have to be at Donington Park in 2000 when he won a 17 minute race by the whole length of the GP loop! And that included a safety car period early on in the race!