Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 25 Sep 2006, 07:23 (Ref:1718131)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcos Ambrose when will he step up to Nextel cup or Busch series?

i would love to see him move up the ranks .he is a great driver and e is Aussie rarly get to see Aussie's in NASCAR.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1718216)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While Ambrose has done pretty good this year in the truck series, I think another year would do him good especially as he most likely would pick up a few wins by doing so.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1719302)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We get the odd guy in NASCAR now and then, they just don't get much coveage.

Before Marcus it was Adam Hill? Adam someone tried to qualify for Bristol. Who ever he was he's a talented dirt track guy.

Anyway, I think that if he goes to Busch it'd be almost a step backwards as it'd be just like this year, annother learning year. So annother truck year would be best. Plus if he runs well he might get a a good contract. Hellooo RYR Or Robby Gordon Racing if he goes Ford.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1719368)   #4
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chance are he'll run another year in trucks and then step up to Busch to replace John Wood when he goes to Cup in 2008 unless there is a second Wood Brothers cup team or Stacy Compton leaves the other Wood Brothers Busch series team. So there's a lot of variables. I imagine his current contract goes past this year so the chances of him going to drive for Robby Gordon are slim and it would probably be a mistake for him to go to a brand new team out of the top-35 with his limited experience in NASCAR. So chances are it will be a year or two at least before he moves up.

J.D.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 00:43 (Ref:1719841)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whatever he does, I would love to see him get a chance to run a road course in a Busch car next season.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 00:52 (Ref:1719849)   #6
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy
Chance are he'll run another year in trucks and then step up to Busch to replace John Wood when he goes to Cup in 2008 unless there is a second Wood Brothers cup team or Stacy Compton leaves the other Wood Brothers Busch series team. So there's a lot of variables. I imagine his current contract goes past this year so the chances of him going to drive for Robby Gordon are slim and it would probably be a mistake for him to go to a brand new team out of the top-35 with his limited experience in NASCAR. So chances are it will be a year or two at least before he moves up.

J.D.
I agree. Marcos has stated that this year has been really hard for him learning the ropes.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 05:17 (Ref:1719940)   #7
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Hellooo RYR Or Robby Gordon Racing if he goes Ford.
Let Me tell you Marcus is a ford bloke his blood is blue he was ford out here as well and did bloody good winning 2 V8 Supercar tittles (i hatted him then as i am a holden man but still i didnt deny he was a great driver) and Ford Racing was the 1 who got him over to america but now i like him even though i like Chev (with the holden conection and all.

!!! GO MARCUS GO !!!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 06:01 (Ref:1719953)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People don't seem to understand what i'm saying.

Macus should stay in Trucks build up momentum and experiance and then further his career. And I was saying we'd never know what Ford team he'd end up in, hopefully RYR or Robby Gordon's team if Robby went to Ford.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1720109)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
i agree with you he should get to know the type of racing before he does make the step up so then he is not embaressed and trailling at the back of the field.all i was saying is i couldn't imagne marcus in anything but a ford
Old 26 Sep 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1720212)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
We get the odd guy in NASCAR now and then, they just don't get much coveage.

Before Marcus it was Adam Hill? Adam someone tried to qualify for Bristol. Who ever he was he's a talented dirt track guy.

Adam Clarke

and I wish people would get his name right I am Marcus he is Marcos
theres a difference but its no my fault he spells his name wrong
Old 26 Sep 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1720223)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Thats right, I knew it was Adam *something* and his name was the same as someone who I went to school with...
Old 27 Sep 2006, 06:58 (Ref:1720916)   #12
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beleive Darren Palmer may be trying to get into Nascar's lower levers, I have a feeling he won't get there though.

One more year in the Truck series would be good for Marcos IMO, he'll be able to go for the championship next year and just get more experience, then get into Jon Wood's Busch car in '08

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 29 Sep 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1722829)   #13
FalconXRated
Racer

FalconXRated should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree that marcos " Should " spend another year in the truck series but:

1) if he is offered the step up he should take it.
2) A bad year in tricks next year and his NASCAR journey is over.

In my opinion he should more up, I believe there is less risk in mving up and being uncompetitive than staying put and being uncompetitive.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1722875)   #14
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another year in Truck is no use to him. The only tracks he has struggled at at the short tracks which only the trucks run at. All the 1.5 mile tracks have been very, very strong when you consider his experience. There is no real point banging around short tracks against guys that have been doing it all thier life when Busch and Nextel only run a few races at this kind of track.

A year in Busch then jump into the CoT at the same time as everyone else and you are on a good bet....
Old 29 Sep 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1723337)   #15
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy
... or Stacy Compton leaves the other Wood Brothers Busch series team.

J.D.
I doubt my distant cousin will be leaving the team. Stacy's car is owned/run by ST Motorsports, which is tied up with the Wood Brothers/JTG Motorsport.

If Marcos jumps to the Cup, it's probably more likely with the 21 car making a 2 car cup team.

Or there could be a new "Team Australia" running him?

Rob.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 00:51 (Ref:1723422)   #16
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No question in my mind that Marcos needs another 1 or 2 years in trucks and or Busch.......and then we will see whether he has progressed enough for Cup racing. His average finish so far this year in trucks is 22.5. I seriously doubt that any team would give him a Cup ride based on his performance, to date, in Trucks. I believe the worst thing that could happen with him would be to move up to Cup and spend most of the year not qualifying for the races.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 03:51 (Ref:1723449)   #17
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the average finish ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
No question in my mind that Marcos needs another 1 or 2 years in trucks and or Busch.......and then we will see whether he has progressed enough for Cup racing. His average finish so far this year in trucks is 22.5. I seriously doubt that any team would give him a Cup ride based on his performance, to date, in Trucks. I believe the worst thing that could happen with him would be to move up to Cup and spend most of the year not qualifying for the races.
Never seen anyone refer to the average finish as a statistic - have I lived a 'sheltered life' or is it commonly used over your way mugglenot??

I would have thought the relevant issues for a rookie are is he quick both in the races & practice, can he race/win?

Experience is one thing especially when you have never seen the circuits before - you'd think a rookie like Ambrose would get better results because he has been there before.

Average finish, cant see the relevance - motor racing has to be all about winning.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 10:56 (Ref:1723582)   #18
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Never seen anyone refer to the average finish as a statistic - have I lived a 'sheltered life' or is it commonly used over your way mugglenot??

I would have thought the relevant issues for a rookie are is he quick both in the races & practice, can he race/win?

Experience is one thing especially when you have never seen the circuits before - you'd think a rookie like Ambrose would get better results because he has been there before.

Average finish, cant see the relevance - motor racing has to be all about winning.
I agree that racing is about winning, but winning what, races or the Championship. Personally I think it is about both. However, look at Mark Martin this year. He is in the chase for the Championship and hasn't won a race. The average finish is very, very, important and shows your competiveness with the other teams. It also shows that you are not finishing races in the top 10. Marcos's results by race are:
33rd, 34th, 36th, 23rd, 26th, 27th, 26th, 18th, 3rd, 19th, 34rd, 22nd, 3rd, 26th, 23rd, and 7th.
Those results are not very competitive. Don't get me wrong though. I think that Marcos has talent but needs more experience in this type of racing. Rushing him along too fast will only ruin his chances of racing in Cup.
Old 4 Oct 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1728085)   #19
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Rumor: Marcos Ambrose will drive the #59 Kingsford car next year in the busch series.
Old 4 Oct 2006, 23:26 (Ref:1728151)   #20
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
Rumor: Marcos Ambrose will drive the #59 Kingsford car next year in the busch series.
Changes are said to be coming to that team. Stacy Compton hasn't been performing as well as in the past so chances are he's on the way out. So that might be the case.

J.D.
Old 4 Oct 2006, 23:33 (Ref:1728159)   #21
Cambo
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Cambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Above confirmed. From http://www.marcosambrose.com/

05/10/2006

AMBROSE STEPS UP TO NASCAR BUSCH IN 2007

THE US racing career of Australian motorsport ace Marcos Ambrose has taken another dramatic step with the Tasmanian being confirmed as a full-time NASCAR Busch driver in 2007.

Ambrose will step up into the Wood Brothers/JTG Racing #59 Kingsford Charcoal Ford Fusion for a full 35-race program, including three road course events at Mexico City, Montreal in Canada and Watkins Glen.

The Busch Series is one step up from his current NASCAR Craftsman Truck commitments and the next in his end goal of a full-time NASCAR Nextel Cup drive.

Ambrose’s current list of sponsors for the 2007 season include Kingsford® Charcoal, Hidden Valley® Salad Dressing, KC Masterpiece® BBQ Sauce, Bush’s Best Baked Beans and Glad Food Storage Bags.

It goes on. I was a bit apprehensive of jumping straight into the Busch series after only one year in the trucks but with his good showings on the bigger tracks I think this is a good step IMHO. A couple of years in Busch series will only strengthen his presence with fans and the big teams. A very tough series to be in, but as he has shown he is very adaptable and capable. Bring on Talladega!! A very exciting time to be a NASCAR nut down under!
Old 4 Oct 2006, 23:44 (Ref:1728164)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bring on the road courses! I reckon he'll win one of those.

Barbeque at Marcos' house I guess - looking at that sponsor list!
Old 5 Oct 2006, 02:49 (Ref:1728295)   #23
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Well...

A little premature perhaps. Actually, I think it is a little premature. But hey, if he pulls it off, it'll be great.

And plus I get coverage on TV.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 04:12 (Ref:1728337)   #24
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well...

A little premature perhaps. Actually, I think it is a little premature. But hey, if he pulls it off, it'll be great.

My thoughts exactly, we'll be able to see him over here now

I too think it may be a little early, but it's good that it's still with Wood Brothers, I didn't realise the 59 was a Wood Bros car at first. They know how good he is and will hopefuly have the patience if he doesn't go so well early on....and Road courses, he'll shine there for sure.

Great news

edit: I have also read that Jon Wood and Ken Schrader will be splitting the drive of the 21 Cup car, with Wood still doing the full season of Busch.

Last edited by StuiE; 5 Oct 2006 at 04:19.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 5 Oct 2006, 07:50 (Ref:1728450)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well...

Agreed, and while I was surprised to hear this I think it'll be interesting nonetheless.

Also, we have to remember that Ambrose will know quite a few of the tracks when the 2007 gets underway which should make a considerable difference.

Unfortunately I will still not get to see him on TV, but I reckon he'll be in the NEXTEL Cup before too long at this rate