Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Sep 2007, 20:24 (Ref:2019232)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dominguez to Replace Dalziel at PCM?

Supposedly, Mario Dominguez will replace Ryan Dalziel at PCM for the final two races.

At least that is the rumor that I've heard.

Anyone read anything that confirms this?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Sep 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2019306)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't yet Tim but I just want to say Mario must have driven for every CC team now this year! Certainly a record for the number he has driven for this year.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 21:33 (Ref:2019322)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Confirmed...
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/40426/
http://www.pcmracing.com/
Old 20 Sep 2007, 21:37 (Ref:2019329)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A shame it's Ryan rather than Alex who's standing aside, but good to have a second Mexican for their home race.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 22:53 (Ref:2019360)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
A shame for Ryan as he has done fairly well this year , certainly outshined Figge and has put in some vey good performances.

Good to see Mario back I guess , he has been the super super sub this year and Im guessing it has something to do with Mexican Money but I hope he does really well
Old 21 Sep 2007, 10:44 (Ref:2019609)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I guess if it is a "win" all around to replace Servia at Forsythe, how can this be anything but that?

A long time ago I said that CC was becoming the "Roller Derby" of racing. The teams come to your town, you get to see the local favorites and then the show moves to the next town discarding the local favorites for new local favorites.

Mario hasn't done diddly in any car this season - hence no solid ride - but since he is the right demographic then well, he is now a Mexican Superstar.

I can't wait to read how this is a good thing after many complained in the Danica thread about the shameless marketing and even more ironic: complaining she is only a marketing tool and should not have the ride because she has never won anything. Meanwhile, back at CC Central we have two drivers replacing perfectly good drivers (or in Servia's case, a really good driver) strictly for demographic reasons. And yes, I know that Mario has two wins. But so did RHR and even Phillipe had one...

All this from what purports to be an "elite" motor racing series.

I think I am going to see if I can catch the "Jammers" playing the "Bay City Bombers" on the telly....
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 16:05 (Ref:2019801)   #7
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a joke. This is the last straw for me. For the first time ever I hope CCWS is a complete failure in the next couple of years & falls apart. I have never until now wanted the IRL to dominate but I now hope it will. It could teach CCWS a few things about loyalty to drivers & how to create a calendar of solid events. I still hope that CCWS next year causes me to retract these comments. I'm not holding my breath though...

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 21 Sep 2007, 19:37 (Ref:2020012)   #8
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/40435/
Old 21 Sep 2007, 20:44 (Ref:2020073)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I too am disappointed that Dalziel and Servia have been dumped.

It has been suggested that the event contract includes a clause stating that two Mexicans must be in the race, or the event cancelled. I'm not certain if the promoters were looking for a reason to cancel the event, and chose this one, or if they legitimately are concerned about such things.

Anyway, it seems obvious that the two Mexicans card has been played, and CCWS has been forced to do something about it.

It would have been preferable to pony up the dollars to add two cars to the grid for one race, at least in my mind.

Given an inability (or desire) by the principles to pony up the money for two additional cars, certainly replacing Dalziel and Servia is better than cancelling the event altogether.

This does tell us two interesting things.

1. The promoters have considered cancelling this event, which does put it's future under clouds.. particularly given the website situation, and inability to buy tickets.

2. CCWS principles aren't interested in putting money up to add two additional cars for one race.... or they are so dense they didn't consider it...
Old 21 Sep 2007, 20:55 (Ref:2020082)   #10
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am reluctantly thinking too dense is more likely considering what has gone on this year.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 21:07 (Ref:2020089)   #11
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it, and consider it speculative, the driver situation isn't the only thing being discussed in order to have this race and that's why the driver thing looks a bit dumb by itself, but "go or no go" time is supposedly next week.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 22:03 (Ref:2020125)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is truly magnificent stuff.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 23:49 (Ref:2020161)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Another Great Moment in American Open Wheel Racing...

Dalziel hit it right on the head: "...they whored me out for the money..."

The only thing that could "improve" the situation is if Mexico cancels, then I can drink a great big glass of bitter irony.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 23:53 (Ref:2020163)   #14
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just dumb. The Servia situation I understood and accepted, as I said in the other thred, but kicking out a driver you've worked with for three years without the blink of an eye just amazes me - especially with the fantastic performance Dalziel has put in. The message PCM sends out is "we care only about money and nepotism", because Alex is there because of daddy Tom, not because he comes with nice sponsor money. And with him having performed so poorly he should have been the one on the sidelines.

I just cannot see the logic in running Figge/Dominguez if Mario brings cash (as Ryan so beautifuly puts it, "whored him out for money"). Dominguez/Dalziel would have been a good, solid lineup. And again, the worst part is that they've (PCM) dumped a long-term driver who had a full season deal.

"I don't know whether to blame PCM or Champ Car but I can't take too many more of these things from Champ Car." Dalziel says. Boy, go to the American Le Mans Series. Simply the most professional road racing in the United States.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 12:59 (Ref:2020416)   #15
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get it either, but its been obvious PCM has been struggling for money all season, with their rotating sponsorships. And obviously a team setup so Figge could race isn't going to drop him. I can definitely think of a couple other drivers that should be replaced even before Figge, let alone Dalziel
Old 23 Sep 2007, 01:47 (Ref:2020740)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently MD will be with PCM for next year as well.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 10:44 (Ref:2020877)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes which shows this was a permanent decision. If it was just for Mexico he would have just come in at Mexico not Surfers. Also this move has been rumored for months as Mario was wanting a full time drive for the next year and wanted to get with a team for that asap. This has now happened.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 10:48 (Ref:2020880)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Apparently MD will be with PCM for next year as well.

Do you have a link for this, mountainstar?
Old 23 Sep 2007, 11:37 (Ref:2020898)   #19
indycool
Veteran

I haven't seen ANY announcements about drivers for next year.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 22:57 (Ref:2021345)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Do you have a link for this, mountainstar?
Nope, but that is what is on the cards.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 08:48 (Ref:2021520)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
This is just dumb. The Servia situation I understood and accepted, as I said in the other thred, but kicking out a driver you've worked with for three years without the blink of an eye just amazes me - especially with the fantastic performance Dalziel has put in. The message PCM sends out is "we care only about money and nepotism", because Alex is there because of daddy Tom, not because he comes with nice sponsor money. And with him having performed so poorly he should have been the one on the sidelines.

I just cannot see the logic in running Figge/Dominguez if Mario brings cash (as Ryan so beautifuly puts it, "whored him out for money"). Dominguez/Dalziel would have been a good, solid lineup. And again, the worst part is that they've (PCM) dumped a long-term driver who had a full season deal.

"I don't know whether to blame PCM or Champ Car but I can't take too many more of these things from Champ Car." Dalziel says. Boy, go to the American Le Mans Series. Simply the most professional road racing in the United States.
I wouldn't blame it all on PCM: ok they could manage it more gently, but we have IMHO to connect it qith the general situation of CC, as alwaysfirst rightly pointed out, that makes us expect such things to happen more frequently than usual.

If the team portfolio of a series includes an important shares of unfunded outfits you got to expect that they'll continuously be in search of better-funded pay drivers; but from a fan point of view, the problem is why this series have this kind of teams, and above all, whether there is the chance to improve the situation or not.

Rebus sic stantibus there's no place for optimism I reckon.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 13:35 (Ref:2025138)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62787
Old 28 Sep 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2025222)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doesn't seem quite so bad now that we know he should be there for 2008. A shame it's Figge rather than Dalziel keeping the drive, but nepotism is nothing unusual in motorsport, and certainly not OWRS-specific.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 07:18 (Ref:2045179)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MEXICAN SPONSOR TECATE RETURNS TO CHAMP CAR
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=12285

Quote:
Team Director Tyler Tadevic said the team is thrilled to debut the Tecate car in Australia and Tecate will also be on the car in Mexico City. The team is looking to make an official announcement regarding Tecate and their commercial program in the coming weeks in Mexico City.

The Alex Figge car is also running signage from Conrad Juipiters this weekend at Surfers Paradise
Old 20 Oct 2007, 07:42 (Ref:2045190)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
The Alex Figge car is also running signage from Conrad Juipiters this weekend at Surfers Paradise
In return for staying there for free over the weekend?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods