Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Jul 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3103389)   #1
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WTCC - A necessary championship?

Not wanting to be inflammatory here but what is the point of a world touring car championship?

I ask this because there is such variety of touring cars across the world.

In Europe we have NGTC, S2000 and DTM. In Australia you have V8 Supercars and in the Americas you have TC2000 and the TC class from the Continental Tire Series.

All of these reflect the road car market in their relevent regions, hatchbacks and small saloons in Europe, big saloons in Australia etc.

With such variety is there any point in holding up an S2000 series as an FIA 'World' Touring Car Championship? Would it not be better to give FIA status to a regional championship thats grows suffciently big enough to warrent it? This is what happened with ITC in the mid-1990s before the costs got silly and V8 Supercars currently has FIA status.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 7 Jul 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3103402)   #2
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Would it not be better to give FIA status to a regional championship thats grows suffciently big enough to warrent it?
they are doing fine without an fia status
Old 7 Jul 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3103407)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Is WTCC necessary? No
Is BTCC necessary? No
Is DTM necessary? No
Is V8 Supercars necessary? No
Is TTA necessary? No
Old 7 Jul 2012, 19:05 (Ref:3103427)   #4
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The World champ in any kind of sports is the place where the best are. So, it really needs the best cars, the best tracks, the best drivers. Are there any in WTCC? Well, I didn't watch many of ETCC races (not ETC cup but old normal European Championship) but it seems to be that it was really one of the best. The whole idea of World TCC is as much necessary as World Football (not soccer) Championship is.
Old 7 Jul 2012, 23:46 (Ref:3103573)   #5
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As another poster has said, and I've stated on here, a World Championship is meant to be about the best. So, we should have the best cars, tracks & drivers in the WTCC. I'd argue we don't have any of them.
Maybe Touring cars should be left for National/Regional series.... if the WTCC was disbanded, I wouldn't shed any tears.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 01:28 (Ref:3103595)   #6
Pole2Win
Rookie

Brazil
Pole2Win should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't consider DTM, V8 Supercars, TTA as proper "touring cars".

I'm romantic about S2000 but the rules have run their course, the cars are too slow and expensive. Ideally, touring cars should be like mid-2000s TC2000, but that became too expensive as well.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 01:37 (Ref:3103597)   #7
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, kill it, with fire.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 05:43 (Ref:3103632)   #8
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of you guys are taking the "World" part a little too seriously, from my pov. From the little that I've seen, on it's own, taking away the success ballast, it's a good series.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3103656)   #9
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they should change WTCC into an invitational series where they can invite touring car teams from various series across the world and balance their performance.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 09:31 (Ref:3103671)   #10
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think WTCC is not an attractive proposition for manufacturers. 1) There is not the interest there to stimulate a huge growth in car sales. 2) In comparison to sportscars there is not much innovation in a touring series, so sportscars becomes a more obvious decision to improve the breed.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 13:15 (Ref:3110795)   #11
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thinking about this while posting on the Sportscars section. One way to improve the WTCC, is to not call it a "Championship" anymore. You are not a "World Champion" winning the WTCC. However you have won a world series. So they could start by taking the "Championship" out of the title and call it the "World Touring Car Series", which is different to a Championship. It changes it's context.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3110835)   #12
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rename it the World Production Car Championship.

A touring car can be anything these days, so changing the name would give it a clearer focus.