Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 7 Nov 2009, 06:12 (Ref:2577466)   #1
PenguinPunch
Rookie

PenguinPunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No open-wheelers on the Adelaide Streets!

It has just come to my attention that there will be no open wheel action at the 2010 Clipsal 500. The home of some of the greatest battles in Grand Prix racing from the past won’t have a single race from either of Australia’s top open wheel categories; Formula Ford or Formula Three – what a disgrace.

I have been lucky enough to attend the Adelaide street event in both its forms, as the Australian Grand Prix and also the Clipsal 500 V8 Supercar event. I love this event; it has definitely been the highlight of my motorsport calendar.

Great racing. Great town. Great atmosphere. However I think they have made a very big mistake in not including some form of open wheel racing.

Remember the great battles between Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher in 1994, or the epic tussle for the F1 World Championship between Prost, Mansell and Piquet in 1986?

While I have a lot of admiration for what V8 Supercars have done to keep the traditions alive of racing on this great street circuit, the foundations where laid down by open wheel racing.

The junior open wheel categories are full of young blokes who have their sights on a career in motorsport. Each driver is aiming to be in V8 Supercar or Formula One. Surely these guys deserve a slot at this event. Not only is it exciting for fans, but I bet running that these events helps them to develop their careers and help them attract funding.

Instead we have races from Mini Challenge, V8 Utes and Supersports – for racers like myself the thought of watching ‘gentleman’ drivers does little to get me excited.

Something like 90% of the drivers in V8 Supercar are from Formula Ford or Formula Three. Not sure how many V8 Supercar or F1 drivers have come from Mini Challengue, V8 Utes, Supersports, Aussie Racing Cars, Touring Car Masters, and Australian GT...
Old 7 Nov 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2577698)   #2
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that is such a shame

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 7 Nov 2009, 22:19 (Ref:2577864)   #3
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
but then again........

This is I think the first year that this has been the case, F3 have had a good run there (and only 10 cars in 2009) & FF may not have wanted to run there for all we know. FF have chosen not to run at this event before due to proximity to AGP etc.

If they'd come out and said that there'd never be open wheelers on the support card ever again I'd be concerned but for one year when they've had a good run there up to now? pffft
Old 8 Nov 2009, 02:30 (Ref:2577952)   #4
PenguinPunch
Rookie

It's a great shame.

I'd much rather watch 10-15 Formula 3 cars battle it out of the Adelaide Streets, rather than watch a bunch of 'gentleman' driving (rather than racing) around this great circuit.

Formula Ford has run back-to-back events in the past. Perhaps they don't want to run at the two best events of the year - but it is a pity never-the-less.

And surely they could have a bit more variety on offer... There will be 6 'Touring Car' type support categories and Supersports.

90% of the drivers in V8 Supercar are from either Formula Ford or Formula Three - they develop the talent so they should have a spot on all the major events.

They certainly deserve preference over the Circus (Aussie) cars, Minis and Utes!
Old 8 Nov 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2578123)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its only November, have the F3 & FFord calenders for 2010 been finalized?
Old 12 Nov 2009, 09:24 (Ref:2580647)   #6
flat change
Rookie

Australia
Australia
flat change should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clipsal ,supports,old men racing:
Old men in Biante touring cars ,old men in GT and old men in supersports (club racing cars and no name drivers but lots of money)
Shows the power of money in respect to this event doesnt it.Its got nothing to do with promotion of talent or even racing it is all about who pays the most money to be on these events.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2581234)   #7
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good luck in the real world

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat change View Post
Old men in Biante touring cars ,old men in GT and old men in supersports (club racing cars and no name drivers but lots of money)
Shows the power of money in respect to this event doesnt it.Its got nothing to do with promotion of talent or even racing it is all about who pays the most money to be on these events.
When you get to the real world flat earth, you will understand talent counts for very little (think of a number & discount it .. 50%, come on, get real ..),try hard work & stop whinging, thats stop whinging & get off the khyber pass, flat earth thats you !!).

Exactly who do YOU want to pay? Put up the charges so the event breaks even, any chance a profit on the funds involved.

Aaagh, you want the taxpayer to fund your dream, why is that. In a democracy the majority rule ... why are those who go to Clipsal special ? Are you really special flat earth?

Think a guy like Garth Tander who had topped Formula Ford & was spannering at Fastlane when Gary Rogers gave him a chance ... stop whinging !!! Its do able, lots of luck, definitely no whinging !!
Old 13 Nov 2009, 13:53 (Ref:2581387)   #8
PenguinPunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat change View Post
Yep I couldn't agree with you more.

I was under the impression that the Clipsal 500 was a spectator event...

2010's event will be like going to my local nursing home and watching Grand Pa and uncle Kev racing their wheelchairs!

I'd much rather be watching the next Mark Webber or Marcos Ambrose...