Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 26 Jun 2001, 19:03 (Ref:110041)   #1
David McManus
Racer

David McManus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Powertour

After experiencing PowerTour for the first time this weekend, when it visited Castle Combe, I am struggling to understand why it's being dropped at the end of this season.

There was some very close racing, particularly in the Formula Ford and Ford Fiesta races. I thought the Fiestas were brilliant, with lead changes all the way through to the last lap.

I also enjoyed the Formula 3 races, although I was sick of the sight of them on qalifying day with a free practice session in addition to their 2 qualifying sessions. It was great to see the lap record go under 1 minute for the first time on the new configuration.

I didn't expect the GTs to retain my interest for the full hour, but a safety car period helping the 2nd placed Lister catch up a 27 second deficit (about half a lap @ Combe!) to eventually take the win.

The Tuscans had visited before, and I was disappointed as the grids were smaller than in previous visits.

It was unfortunate the Porsches had to pull out, for reasons which have been discussed elsewhere.

I particularly enjoyed all the added "extras", which we don't usually get at Combe, track and air displays, bands, coach tours round the track, and of course the podium and champagne ceremony.

I hope that the replacement, whatever it may be, visits Combe next year with a similar lineup of top national racing.

Has anyone heard what will be happening to F3 and GT next season?
Old 27 Jun 2001, 12:49 (Ref:110266)   #2
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have to agree with your comments about Powertour at Castle Combe, I have been to nearly all the races so far and this was by far the best in racing as well as the weather!! The Fiesta's and GT's were great as were the F3,s. I e-mailed John Taylor, who is now in charge of the day to day running of Powertour and asked him about next year and so far I have had no response. Good news that the night race at Silverstone on the 29th September has been reinstated and I am really looking forward to Brands on the 8th July.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 13:16 (Ref:110272)   #3
David McManus
Racer

The night race has been reinstated? I may have to try and get there
Old 27 Jun 2001, 14:12 (Ref:110285)   #4
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, there is some info on the autosport website, the GT's in the dark should be quite a race!!
Old 27 Jun 2001, 18:35 (Ref:110404)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was pretty good.. better than expected, well yes.

Home circuit racers let themselves down a little, bit boring.

GT were good, just need a few more big cars.

F3's, can't believe how quickly they stopped at Quarry, amazing brakes..
Old 28 Jun 2001, 06:34 (Ref:110613)   #6
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Powertour format was being revamped, I didn't think it was being cancelled totally....I went to the Rockingham round and thought that the band and the stunt drivers and aerobatic display were a really good idea, the crowd definitely enjoyed them!

Attendance did seem a bit poor, but it was a horrible cold day...I still would have thought more people would turn out to see how the cars coped with the Rockingham circuit...anyone see those F3 cars take off out of the first chicane, COOL!!!!
Old 28 Jun 2001, 15:53 (Ref:110765)   #7
David McManus
Racer

Attendance at Combe was a cicuit recor, with over 25,000 there
Old 29 Jun 2001, 20:54 (Ref:111265)   #8
neil.thomas
Rookie

neil.thomas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Combe was great on the weekend- surely the success of this meeting means that it should now be the first choice circuit for Powertour replacement and TOCA. Only gripe was having to pay £10 to camp in the carpark with no facilities- this has been free in the past. Does anyone know if this was only for Powertour or will the fans be stung every 2 day meeting?