Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 May 2003, 19:09 (Ref:597277)   #1
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Circus

What did ya all think of the day out at Brands?

What a load of faffing about. If you were at the bottom of Hailwood during round 4 during the air display and heard a bloke and a girl very loudly moaning and groaning... it was me!! Not the girl bit, just the bloke... the girl (if you can call a 41 year old a girl)was the misses.

Jeez. How many races were there? How many laps did we have to endure of the champ cars - 360 or thereabouts. Parachuting, planes doing cunning stunts, clowns on unicycles, the Bromley Pageant, etc, etc, etc. And a mere 4 races all day long.

If I want to see an air display I'll go to Biggin Hill. If I want to see classic cars I'll go to the Chelsea Cruise or the aforementioned Bromley Pageant. If I wanted to see clowns I'd go to see Billy Smart or the Moscow State Circus (with their UK number plates). If you went to Biggin Hill and had to wait an hour or so for the next Red Arrows while these cars drove around in circles you wouldn't be impressed, would you? NO, you'd cry.

40 quid I paid for less thjan half the usual racing, couldn't get in a stand apparently - although they looked half empty to me. People everywhere, two hours to get out of the car park. Shame I'm not an Eddie Spotter mind... those trucks were the only things moving. I hit the south coast at eight in the evening. Not good when you've had a stomach bug and been in the sun all day.

So this poster has this message for Brands - sod that again. Leave the family bit to Disney.
Old 12 May 2003, 19:15 (Ref:597283)   #2
KPC
Racer

England
Oh, and before I log off for the evening, how could I forget... we even had a funfair.

Okay, fair dos there was a serious side to the day - high profiling the BTCC, attracting such a series as the champ cars and the like. But personally I just don't think I could be bothered again. It was hard work.
Old 12 May 2003, 19:18 (Ref:597285)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Actually I think it was something that has been missing in recent years. Now I like club racing as much as the next man but, if we're honest, do we want the BTCC to become just a glorified clubbie? Or do we want it to be an event like it used to be?

I'm not saying we want to see Terry Grant every single meeting (dear god, no!) or even an air display every time. But these things are quite fun sometimes.

I will agree that five races on the Monday was a bit poor but this was a one off and, if it's repeated, I'm sure the lessons will be learned.
Old 12 May 2003, 19:39 (Ref:597299)   #4
KPC
Racer

England
At least Terry Grant put an expression on the gridgirl's faces that money couldn't buy!!
Old 12 May 2003, 19:42 (Ref:597304)   #5
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Please no more saftey car demos.
Old 12 May 2003, 19:45 (Ref:597311)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well, yes, that is certainly something that should be done away with!! Sadly it's a Cart thing but, if they want to run a joint meeting again, I think they should be persuaded to run them on day one of the meeting to allow a better show on raceday. I see the F3 boys are upset now that they weren't on the support bill. If it weren't for all those demo laps then a space for them could easily have been found.
Old 12 May 2003, 19:49 (Ref:597313)   #7
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got cheezed off at all the dull stuff at Donnington last year, all that stunt car stuff, it was like watching the kids in their vauxhall novas in sainsbury's carpark.
Old 12 May 2003, 20:04 (Ref:597325)   #8
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd rather watch safety cars than F3
Old 12 May 2003, 20:19 (Ref:597337)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Air displays I can live with. Even without them you weren't going to get any more races so at least it's something to look at. And unlike the usual on-track stunt displays you can actually see it regardless of where you are standing.

Have to agree with Craig on the Terry Grant thing. It's very impressive but I've seen it more often that the Great Escape. Enough already.

What exactly was the point of all that 'pace car activity', other than to give a few VIPs a freebie?

To be honest if the F3 boys want to be on the CART bill then they are welcome to it, I'd much rather TOCA wasn't there at all. Some of the comments in the press last week about how good TOCA thought it was surprised me. Many of the teams, media and fans I spoke said exactly the opposite.
Old 12 May 2003, 20:30 (Ref:597351)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Teams were unimpressed as they were relegated to a supporting role. Sorry but that's tough guys - live with it.
Media were unimpressed because they were jerked around something cronic.
Spectators were unimpressed with the lack of passing in the Cart event and the sheer amount of pace car tracktime.

ToCA, on the other hand, will be delighted. 40,000 through the gate and they stole the show when it came to the ontrack action. This was exactly what the series needed and, as has been said, it's not going to happen every weekend and I'm sure it'll be improved if it's re-run next season. Give it another chance - it could be worse - they could be supporting the GP!
Old 13 May 2003, 08:06 (Ref:597660)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I have to be honest, I thought the sideshows were a bit of fun. Maybe you guys are all jaded with this stuff, but those of you who've been to Mondello will realise that the closest we usually get to an airshow is some muppet from Baldonnell Flying School who's gotten lost - or possibly a crop duster! As for fun fairs...... Although we did have a bouncy castle for the BTCC.....

Terry Grant has been to visit a few times and although the routine hasn't changed much, it's still good fun to watch. Just don't ask MagnetON about the Motorsport show the other year.......

I think it's important to remember that the more facilities of this kind that circuits supply, the more people are going to attend. £40 is quite a lot of money, I'll admit. But how much would you pay to go somewhere like Alton Towers? And there's no motor racing there.......

The more people that attend, the more sponsors will buy in, more money goes into the class and you get bigger grids. So if this is what it takes to get people through the gate, I'd say it may be time to grin, bear it and find a nice quiet spot close away from the dodgems. Because for every additional body that comes through that gate, another sponsor gets £££ in their eyes......
Old 13 May 2003, 11:15 (Ref:597753)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
KPC you can't expect to go to a high profile meeting that attracted over 40,000 spectators and drive straight out of the circuit!

Having said that, I stayed to the end, walked to the Marshals Car Park, got in my car and did just that, drove straight home

Become a marshal KPC, you know it makes sence
Old 13 May 2003, 12:45 (Ref:597832)   #13
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
Although we did have a bouncy castle for the BTCC.....
And now we've the permanent feature of The Mr Hankey Childrens Play Area!
Old 13 May 2003, 12:54 (Ref:597845)   #14
KPC
Racer

England
Wish I had the time Stephen... apart from anything else my job means I mon-fri 9 to 5 has no meaning.

The car park thing was about the last straw. I am a patient man but even I tried a different approach to exit after about 25 mins without moving an inch. I mean to move now and again you can live with, but not even a tyre turn... come on. And it paid off eventually. When on the open road I saw the Porsche 911 that had been a few cars in front still in the field, stuck about 40 mins from the gate. Made me smile I must confess. The traffic flowed like a stream and those
dam(m)(n)med at the top of the field stood no chance.

Anyhow, I agree that ticket sales are the key and all that. It would just have been nice to see a little more racing. I have nothing against air displays either, but weren't they boring. And that joke about the Earth repelling helicopters.... went down like a lead balloon. Give us Red Arrows like we used to get at the GP. Give us Legend racing.

As Craig said, nothing wrong with spicing it up, but Brands and TOCA need to organise it a tad better next time. And I'm not sure Brands is the right venue... Silverstone could have handled it hands down.

I was impressed with the big screen TV and the TV coverage mind, much better than the 2001 effort.
Old 13 May 2003, 13:10 (Ref:597865)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
If I am really honest I believe the Champ Cars would have been lost on the Silverstone GP circuit. If they are to race on the Brands GP Circuit next year then I believe they need to bring more cars to avoid them becoming 'spread out' and the spectacle becoming diluted. Much the same arguement can be levelled at BTCC, too few cars on a long circuit can be spectator unfriendly!

Like Silverstone, the Kent Police will eventually find a propper way to ease traffic flow, although I think they did a reasonable job on this occasion.

I'm afraid I didn't get to see the air displays as I was stuck down in the dip at Paddock Hill bend with the stone wall behind me for comfort!
Old 13 May 2003, 13:16 (Ref:597874)   #16
KPC
Racer

England
Then you must have heard the abuse I was hurling just to your right!!

And a final thought.... children should not be allowed foghorns... or at least allowed to have them when grown ups are sitting down with their earoles at the same height as the horn.... I think I can just about hear my keyboard tapping by now.....
Old 13 May 2003, 13:16 (Ref:597875)   #17
KPC
Racer

England
I mean the other right... left.
Old 13 May 2003, 13:46 (Ref:597907)   #18
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all the races are pretty much like that- until it is an established venue they throw all sort of rubbish to keep everyone happy "bring the kids, the wife, the dog!" it utter poop. best to run it like this
Formula ford- champ praccy- historics- F3- then the interim pace car fun so you can wander off to the loo, and then the race- and after run the BTCC- they did it like this at Long BEACH and road america, and laguna seca. well it was toyota atlantics not FF. that way its racing all the time. (just bugger all that circus ****- tents of carppy food and horrible sounds, dumb souvenirs...) and loads of empty seats- I am fuming thinking about it, so KPC don't feel cheatedit is like that evrywhere. (exceot nascar they just go race...could that explain the popularity?)
Old 13 May 2003, 14:04 (Ref:597928)   #19
KPC
Racer

England
Too right mate... tools for the job. Okay, so usually a BTCC meeting is a glorified clubby meeting, but you still get to go splash yer boots, have a quick pint and burger while the Clios are scampering around the circuit.

Now, I'm all for change if it's a good thing. I have argued with Craig at length in these pages about the future of the BTCC, et al. Give us distractions if they must if it keeps the series going, but they need to disguise them better. The wheels need to keep turning. As I said, if I wanted to see a load of air displays (if you can call them that) I'd go to an airshow. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the usual meetings and no need for fluffy icing on the top to hide the fact that CHAMP cars are D-U-L-L. As my misses informed me every once in a while.... as I couldn't be bothered to stand up and look over the armco.... the blue car is in front still and then there's a black one and then there's a white one and then there's some more, oh and here's the blue one again.... did I say it was in front?
Old 14 May 2003, 07:46 (Ref:598523)   #20
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Personally I think Legend racing should be compulsary at every car event. But that's just me!

KP I can't argue with you on the lack of racing on the Monday or that the Champ car race in question was not the most exciting race ever seen. I waited 3/4 hour before the first overtaking manouvere and that was because people were slowing to get into the pits..........

However, we've been over this and the general concensus seems to be that the GP circuit will resolve the lack of exciting racing.

Certainly the BTCC races and the Formula Renault race provided a great deal of entertainment!

Like everything else, this event is going to take some time to "find its feet" and get a balance that's suited to both the racing fans and those that have the misfortunate to have to live with them!

I'd be quite happy to see all the hoopla that went with the last one - but with more and better racing as well.
Old 14 May 2003, 14:25 (Ref:598781)   #21
KPC
Racer

England
It never fails to amaze me that yer sitting/standing minding yer own biz having a pint and a chat with yer mates and some idiot dressed up like a clown (literally) comes over to you and, completely ignoring (or being oblivious) to the looks of p*** off and leave me alone I'm on the edge and dangerous, tries to attempt to entertain. I'm 36, I don't want to see you juggle while balancing on a one wheeled thing. Go find some children. Here give me those balls and ..... FETCH.

Okay, brand me as a grumpy old man... I used to be nicknamed Victor Meldrew by numerous people unbeknown to one another, after all. But I just want to go watch some racing unhassled by the mad mad world. Is it too much to ask?
Old 14 May 2003, 15:08 (Ref:598818)   #22
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
LOL - could be worse..... could be mimes..... *shudder*
Old 14 May 2003, 16:02 (Ref:598892)   #23
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mime, now that REALLY is pointless!
Old 14 May 2003, 18:11 (Ref:598984)   #24
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but at least it is quiet!
Old 14 May 2003, 19:03 (Ref:599037)   #25
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is Terry Grant? A local kent celeb?
Last time I saw an air show at Brands the whole of South bank & druids was closed to the public for safety reasons-interested to know how they got away with that this time.
When they ran USAC at Brands in 1978 they moved it to the club circuit because only 14 cars came over.
I have seen no coments regarding the public transport facilities,did anybody use these?