Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Oct 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1732098)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
CSCC - Snetterton, 7th October, 2006 (With photos!)

I resisted the appeal of the AMOC (Donington) and Top Hat (Mallory) this weekend, and chose instead to take a gentle run down to one of my more local circuits, Snetterton, with my neighbour (a Corvette & TVR enthusiast!). It proved to be a fine meeting. Not only were there some great cars and races, I finally met up with Ten Tenthers, dtype38, Falcemob, and Eric Falce. In addition fellow Ten Tenther and former mod, Andrew Kitson introduced us to a very famous musician who just happens to be a motor racing fan and Ferrari fanatic and who was quite prepared to spectate and chat with us.

Other highlights included the presence of no less than three of the original mid 60's TVR Griffiths, one of which won its race. There were some great Jaguar dices, with one Jaguar saloon driver who felt that the right way to negotiate Coram was sideway, and a friend from my old RSSOC days, John Leslie drove his Reliant Sabre 6GT to a fine 4th in his race. Apparently, Jack Sears was wandering about around the paddock and 'Whizzo' shared a drive in an XK120. In fact a really good meeting altogether.

The racing which was supposed to start at 12.30 started about 15 minutes late, and with two crash induced red flag periods, the racing didn't finish until about 6.30 when the sun was disappearing below the horizon.

I'll post a few pics up over the next few days.

Last edited by John Turner; 8 Oct 2006 at 18:39.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1732120)   #2
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=John Turner]There were some great Jaguar dices, with one Jaguar saloon driver who felt that the right way to negotiate Coram was sideway, /QUOTE]

The angles and length of drifts that the Jaguar achieved were amazing watching from our vantage point from the Russell observers post, he was setting it up most laps from the Bombhole out post and still well sideways past Russell in (Fantasy Island) before entering Russell. Only once did it go wrong with a spin in the middle of Russell. However in the end I think both tyres and a wheel bearing cried enough!

Great days racing with good grids, bit sad that the Ferrari Classics race ended with a coming together between a gorgeous Ferrari 275GTB and a Ferrari 328 at Russell. Overall a well organised meeting, with thanks to both the Classic Sports Car Club and the BRSCC-EA team.

Andrew, appears that I missed you again, did get the message via one of my crew, Jerry, who you spoke with though. Hope to meet up at another Snet meeting soon.

Terry
Old 8 Oct 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1732194)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I resisted the appeal of the AMOC (Donington) and Top Hat (Mallory) this weekend, and chose instead to take a gentle run down to one of my more local circuits, Snetterton, with my neighbour (a Corvette & TVR enthusiast!). It proved to be a fine meeting. Not only were there some great cars and races, I finally met up with Ten Tenthers, dtype38, Falcemob, and Eric Falce. In addition fellow Ten Tenther and former mod, Andrew Kitson introduced us to a very famous musician who just happens to be a motor racing fan and Ferrari fanatic and who was quite prepared to spectate and chat with us.

Other highlights included the presence of no less than three of the original mid 60's TVR Griffiths, one of which won its race. There were some great Jaguar dices, with one Jaguar saloon driver who felt that the right way to negotiate Coram was sideway, and a friend from my old RSSOC days, John Leslie drove his Reliant Sabre 6GT to a fine 4th in his race. Apparently, Jack Sears was wandering about around the paddock and 'Whizzo' shared a drive in an XK120. In fact a really good meeting altogether.

The racing which was supposed to start at 12.30 started about 15 minutes late, and with two crash induced red flag periods, the racing didn't finish until about 6.30 when the sun was disappearing below the horizon.

I'll post a few pics up over the next few days.
I wish Id known you were there ,I looked aftre Whizz and Dick Skipworth, maybe next time,
Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1732249)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Nice meeting you John. I had a great time despite one of my rear calipers springing a leak and having to clamp the pipe off and turn the bias fully to the front.
I think they were better off in the last race than we were in race 7 as the sun had gone completely for them. The sun was so low it was difficult to see where you were on the track from Coram right round to the exit of Richies.
An excellent day anyway.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 06:23 (Ref:1732508)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was a great little clubbie and some lovely cars and good weather which always helps. Glad you enjoyed it John and sorry I missed you again Terry!
Jack was there in his role as president of the Ferrari Owners Club.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 06:47 (Ref:1732526)   #6
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice to meet one or two ten tenthers and a good meeting!! pity about the red flags though.i managed to [just] avoid the carnage at riches on the first lap of the tintops even though a door mirror from a proton landed plumb in the middle of my bonnet.wonder why some of us seem to forget we have 40 mins of racing and feel the need to barge their way to the front,wrecking cars and loosing everyone 10 minutes track time...... not to worry it was a good day and thanks for to all the input on a previous thread my pitstop didnt take toooo long!!!!
Old 9 Oct 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1733251)   #7
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

yet another fine day's racing at Snetterton. As Terry has said, it was worth turning up just to see the Green and White Jag (No 19), power sliding around Coram. Apparently one of the marshals, Andy, who was on post at Coram, on the outside of the circuit, said he could read what was on the inside of the car. I was on post at Fantasy island, on the inside, just before Russell, and we were throughly enjoying it. So if anyone knows who it was, the marshals would like to thank him and congradulate him on his driving skills.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1733352)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, finally some pics. The usual format; a few from pit and paddock first:-

Synchronised attention:-

Fast drinks tray:-

A 'Heinz' Maestro:-

The car 'above' is an Alfa

Apologies for the frivolity. More pics tomorrow.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1734275)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
All my 'racing' shots predictably were taken from Russell Curve, but it is a good place to be for much of the action.

The first race was the Jaguar 40 minute 1 or 2 driver challenge. One of those going solo was Ken Paton in his 3.8 D type replica. He placed the car on pole but was not confident of victory since, for his compulsory pit stop, he had to unbuckle his harness, get out and run round the car, jump back in and then buckle up and it took a lot longer to do that than with a driver change. However, the problem was resolved when he managed get someone to agree to help with the buckling and unbuckling and duly delivered a victory:-

Jaguar variety! The Kougar Jaguar of Graham Paddick (2nd), the Garrad/Cope 'S' Type (NCF) and the Ball/Ball XJS (10th):-

The lovely Mk2 of Dorlin/Lewis which finished 20th:-

It has already been mentioned, blurred and taken from a long way away with only a small zoom, I have to post it. The Palmer/Avery (but which of these is driving here?) XJ6/300 which finished 4th (and class win). This was not an exception; this was the angle adopted coming through Coram on nearly every lap. Great car control and hugely entertaining. The XK following displays the more conventional line:-

Last edited by John Turner; 10 Oct 2006 at 17:05.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1734292)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
That must be Steve-Sideways-Avery in the last shot.
John, did you get any pictures of Ken's D-type in the last race, the flames in the dusk looked awesome.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1734305)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I certainly tried but not sure I was too succesful. I'll have a look later when I get to that race.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1734376)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The D-type replica of Tim and Eric Falce which came 5th:-

Showing signs of impact the Jaguar (Daimler!) XJ6 of Morrant & Taylor was unclassified at the finish:-

The Kirkham/Kirkham XJ40 which finished 12th. Tucked in behind is the Dick Skipworth/'Whizzo' XK120 which finished 9th:-

Mr Avery again, attempting to take the Webb/Groom XK120 which nevertheless finished ahead in 3rd place:-
Old 10 Oct 2006, 18:54 (Ref:1734391)   #13
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Steve Avery, we salute you.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1734418)   #14
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Quote:
All my 'racing' shots predictably were taken from Russell Curve, but it is a good place to be for much of the action.
John, you should have come over and said hello, as I was the observer on Russell on Saturday, it would have been good to have a chat between races and writing reports!

Great photos - keep up the good work and yes Mr Avery certainly kept Nick, myself and the rest of the crew on Russell entertained during the day and I'm sure those marshalling on Coram had an even better view judging by your picture.

Terry
Old 11 Oct 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1734961)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Hi, Terry; unless we all carry high profile TT logos how are we going to know who to introduce ourselves to? Incidentally, I should have corrected myself and said Russell 'Bend' although 'chicane' would be a better description wouldn't it?

Race 2, for the Swing Sixties Series was to a similar format as Race 1, although more drivers elected to go solo. Two E-types occupied the front row and for much of the race Harry Wyndham seemed to hold sway over poleman, Nick McCaffery. However by the end McCaffery took the win by nearly 17 seconds; was that time lost by Wyndham in the pits, or an on track moment?:-

Mentioned already but here is John Leslie who drove his Reliant Sabre 6GT from a relatively lowly grid position, so smoothly and consistently, that it netted him a fine 4th place, and class win. In the background, Geof Mussell's Mustang which came 5th:-

The Stevens/Mcdonald Peerless GT Phase 1 which finished 10th, the Ginetta G4 of Chris Blewett who finished 12th, and the Mark Hadfield Spitfire which, unfortunately, pitted after 19 laps with what appeared to be an engine failure:-

The Wos/Hutchinson Scimitar GTE which finished 7th followed by the Beavis/Matthews Lancia Fulvia HF which came 9th:-

Last edited by John Turner; 14 Oct 2006 at 14:21.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1735007)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell
John, you should have come over and said hello, as I was the observer on Russell on Saturday, it would have been good to have a chat between races and writing reports!

Great photos - keep up the good work and yes Mr Avery certainly kept Nick, myself and the rest of the crew on Russell entertained during the day and I'm sure those marshalling on Coram had an even better view judging by your picture.

Terry
Terry, I was right there by the fence with John, his mate Ian and Chris Rea for the first Ferrari race. Should have found you to say hi! Again, What a cracking meeting. BRSCC this weekend Terry?
Old 11 Oct 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1735143)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Race 2, for the Swing Sixties Series was to a similar format as Race 1, although more drivers elected to go solo. Two E-types occupied the front row and for much of the race Harry Wyndham seemed to hold sway over poleman, Nick McCaffery. However by the end McCaffery took the win by nearly 17 seconds; was that time lost by Wyndham in the pits, or an on track moment?:-
Harry W had big end failure.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1735210)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ah, thanks; that's a great pity.

Now the Red Post! Race 3 was for the Pirelli Ferrari formula classic Series over 20 minutes. Here is Gary Culver, in 328GTB, who converted pole to victory, chased home by the similarly mounted Graham Reeder.

The 308GT4 of Fred Honnor who finished 10th:-

The well driven Mondial T of Nick Taylor who gallantly took the race to the 328 horde but in the end had to make do with 5th:-

The most valuable cars in the field were the two 275 GTBs by far. On his last lap Steve Tandy entered Russell too hot in his. In his valiant attempts to keep the car out of the tyre wall, the car speared back onto the track and struck a fellow competitor's car with this unfortunate result:-
Old 11 Oct 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1735390)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 4 - Classic Sports Car Club 'Tin Tops'. Another 1/2 driver 40 minute race for saloon type cars roughly covering a period of 20 years, the earliest being from the early 80's. Many of the cars would be regarded as almost contemporary and not historic (yet!) at all, so I'll just show a few pics of older cars in the race. I will however confirm that the race was won by the Gannon/Gannon Honda Integra type R by some margin from the similar car of Joe Giovanni, with the Addison/Mellor MG ZR 190 in 3rd. All three were no more than 4 years old.

The Burchill/Joss Renault 5 came 15th:-

Alistair Isles Alfa 33 failed to finish:-

The Owen/Owen Vauxhall Nova finished 19th:-

Ian Brookfield lifts a rear wheel of his Alfasud Ti on his way to 16th:-

Last edited by John Turner; 11 Oct 2006 at 22:14.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1735468)   #20
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Terry, I was right there by the fence with John, his mate Ian and Chris Rea for the first Ferrari race. Should have found you to say hi! Again, What a cracking meeting. BRSCC this weekend Terry?
Hi Andrew,
Sorry I didn't see you, probably too busy at the time keeping an eye on the Ferrari's myself.

Yes will be at the BRSCC meeting at the Weekend, most likely on Senna on the outside obs post near to the timekeepers box and Sunday will be upstairs in Race Control if all goes to plan.

Have to try to meet up at some stage over the weekend. Perhaps you could PM me a mobile number and I can respond with mine?
Terry
Old 11 Oct 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1735507)   #21
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Terry,
Just think of it. Race Control. Nice, warm, dry, chair to sit on, slippers on, cup of tea in hand . I hope you remember all those still on the bank
Old 11 Oct 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1735604)   #22
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Nick,
Could be the one and only time, when they discover the effect my magnets can have in there!!!

Terry
Old 11 Oct 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1735660)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5, described in the programme as the '1 or 2 Driver Sports Car v Saloons Challenge' was another 40 minute race.

The early part of the race provided a great dice for the lead between the Edwards/Castardini Crossle 9S (surely a rare bird?) and the Porsche 964 RS Cup car of George and Andrew Christopher. The lead changed hands a couple of times but eventually the Crossle which was not pulling cleanly out of Russell eventually expired altogether and was pushed off the track by the marshals. The Porsche monsters the Crossle:-

In the popular and evocative Gulf colours, the XJS of Hill and Boon finished 2nd:-

The Anderson/Irving Sierra (10th) has an interesting moment whilst the XJS of David and Lawrence Ball successfully negotiates passed to finish 6th:-

I have a soft spot for 944s. The Harris/Briars car finished 8th:-

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Oct 2006 at 15:07.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1736065)   #24
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A few paddock shots:

Sometimes the bleak open Snett paddock can look very different.

Another of the TVRs

Kougar Jaguar

The Crossle in the assembly area. Long serving Snett paddock marshal Maurice Bennington in the background.

Old 12 Oct 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1736109)   #25
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little bro' will be made up to see his Nova pictured here! Sadly, his engine went a bit sick so we didn't get the head to head we'd hoped for in the Tin Tops race, but we both had a great time all the same.
The red flag was a shame, but Phil still had a good scrap with that lovely Alfa Sud before he handed over to me.
Good to hear that people enjoyed their day. Snetterton is a real favourite of mine so to come away with a class win was really special.
Fantastic photos guys - many thanks for sharing them!

Stuart - Blue & White MG Metro #35

Last edited by stuart05; 12 Oct 2006 at 11:58.
MG Metro #35 - Proud Class A Series Winner CSCC Tin Tops 2006

Tags
classic sports car club, cscc