Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which will be the first 2020 GP?
Australia 0 0%
Bahrain 0 0%
Vietnam 0 0%
China 0 0%
Netherlands 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Monaco 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Canada 2 5.13%
France 2 5.13%
Austria 1 2.56%
Britain 3 7.69%
Hungary 0 0%
Belgium 3 7.69%
Italy 0 0%
Singapore 2 5.13%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 2 5.13%
United States 1 2.56%
Mexico 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Abu Dhabi 2 5.13%
Somewhere else 0 0%
There will not be a 2020 GP 21 53.85%
There will never be another GP 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Aug 2021, 00:29 (Ref:4067326)   #2101
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The plan just announced by the PM might would support this.
Here is an interesting opinion piece on the problems facing the Prime Minister and indeed the Australian public in their pursuit of "Covid Zero".

Scott Morrison has little control over Australia's destiny or his own

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...?ocid=msedgntp

"while our pursuit of the fool's errand of COVID Zero has seen us level every liberty, destroy educations and livelihoods and shut ourselves off from the world."

"As noted here before, it took us 230 years, but we finally managed to perfect the prison colony. We have even invented a perverse new "Covese" lexicon where "freedoms" are not rights, but gifts bestowed by premiers and where the police complain of "illegal family gatherings".

How did the old Chinese curse go?

May you live in interesting times!

Interesting times indeed.

Last edited by wnut; 18 Aug 2021 at 00:52.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 01:58 (Ref:4067331)   #2102
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Racer reporting Japan is about to be confirmed as cancelled, not surprising really.

Interesting bit hidden further down in the article is the concern about the US GP

"Japan has been one of the most pressing question marks on the calendar since Singapore was called off, with the race preceding the United States Grand Prix in Austin in under eight weeks’ time. In recent weeks it has appeared likely there would be two races at Circuit of the Americas if Japan was called off, but RACER has also learned there is now some uncertainty about that plan given the increase in COVID-19 restrictions in Travis County."

I think that would have to be FOM deciding not to go as the state is actively against anything being cancelled. The governor, who incidentally tested positive this morning after a packed maskless indoor fundraiser, is set on legal action against any municipal governments putting in place restrictions. Travis County, home of the track as it's actually outside city limits of Austin, is a weird mix of devoutly liberal and conservative so things can be weird. The idea FOM would cancel seems outlandish BUT stranger things have happened. And they can use the hospital capacity as a justification for cancellation on safety grounds. Capacity numbers have been rumored with a wide swing from near zero to near zero for Covid, which is a big difference as they will often leave emergency beds and direct Covid patients elsewhere than trauma center ICUs.

Last I checked the Rangers were still, and were the first in MLB, running full capacity at baseball games, as an option since they rarely sell out any more. I have not seen anything about restrictions but looks like the Cowboys and Texans get to fill the stadiums this season without restriction. Interesting call will be what University of Texas gets to run, they are within Austin city limits.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 04:26 (Ref:4067337)   #2103
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Here is an interesting opinion piece on the problems facing the Prime Minister and indeed the Australian public in their pursuit of "Covid Zero".

"while our pursuit of the fool's errand of COVID Zero has seen us level every liberty, destroy educations and livelihoods and shut ourselves off from the world."

"As noted here before, it took us 230 years, but we finally managed to perfect the prison colony. We have even invented a perverse new "Covese" lexicon where "freedoms" are not rights, but gifts bestowed by premiers and where the police complain of "illegal family gatherings".

The politics of the federal election next year is certainly going to be interesting and it will affect events such as the F1. The virus has now spread into NZ which was predictable despite a similar policy to Oz. I regularly speak to customers in NZ and they were all resigned to what was going to happen.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 08:39 (Ref:4067347)   #2104
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
We haven't had a race cancellation since Oz last month.
I must have jinxed it, Japan is now officially cancelled:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58244344

Not really too surprised, the MotoGP race has already been cancelled and considering how the great difficulty they had staging the Olympics, they couldn't take anymore chances

Still a shame to lose Japan two years running, why do the rising cases always have to be in countries with great circuits or venues?
Old 18 Aug 2021, 09:23 (Ref:4067351)   #2105
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

The journalist who wrote this has been writing virulent anti lockdown opinion pieces since the Covid out break began.He doesn’t really reflect changing opinions in the Australian community.
Also for every other state except for NSW zero Covid is still a strong possibility as vaccination rates hit 80%+.Those of us here in NSW are likely to be a pariah state locked out of the rest of Australia for quite some time after the rest of the country opens up.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4067371)   #2106
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The journalist who wrote this has been writing virulent anti lockdown opinion pieces since the Covid out break began.He doesn’t really reflect changing opinions in the Australian community.
Also for every other state except for NSW zero Covid is still a strong possibility as vaccination rates hit 80%+.Those of us here in NSW are likely to be a pariah state locked out of the rest of Australia for quite some time after the rest of the country opens up.
Will 80% make any difference?

A recent email exchange with my local member of state parliament made it quite clear there is no intention to legislate for the state government to abide by the National Cabinet agreement to limit lockdowns.

If the goal continues to be COVID ZERO then lockdowns will continue and sadly the AGP will not.

And I read, but now can't find the link ,that the AGP Corporation have sacked a significant number of staff.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 11:47 (Ref:4067378)   #2107
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Will 80% make any difference?

A recent email exchange with my local member of state parliament made it quite clear there is no intention to legislate for the state government to abide by the National Cabinet agreement to limit lockdowns.

If the goal continues to be COVID ZERO then lockdowns will continue and sadly the AGP will not.

And I read, but now can't find the link ,that the AGP Corporation have sacked a significant number of staff.
To your question I have no idea and probably no one else has with any real confidence.Nothing will improve before that point.
As for Albert Park I was posting here 14 months ago that the earliest possible event was November 2022 and I still think that is possible.Hardly breeds confidence about the GP happening in April if they are laying off staff now.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4067384)   #2108
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
To your question I have no idea and probably no one else has with any real confidence. Nothing will improve before that point.
As for Albert Park I was posting here 14 months ago that the earliest possible event was November 2022 and I still think that is possible. Hardly breeds confidence about the GP happening in April if they are laying off staff now.
An interesting conflict of problems is going to emerge after Christmas. If free travel is not allowed the Pollies will not be able to travel around the country for election purposes and I think this is a major reason they want everyone vaccinated so as to legitimately open up access to the whole country. It most probably won't make April happen but November might be a possibility. Damn the people but don't stop me being elected sounds like a reasonable idea.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 12:20 (Ref:4067388)   #2109
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
An interesting conflict of problems is going to emerge after Christmas. If free travel is not allowed the Pollies will not be able to travel around the country for election purposes and I think this is a major reason they want everyone vaccinated so as to legitimately open up access to the whole country. It most probably won't make April happen but November might be a possibility. Damn the people but don't stop me being elected sounds like a reasonable idea.
In the same way Boris Johnson was late to red list India because he had a jolly to India planned but in the end woke up to the reality
I said back in March last year no Politico will put their neck on the line for F1 before the 22 elections I would predict no GP in 22
Old 19 Aug 2021, 13:36 (Ref:4067769)   #2110
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
So are Liberty going to need to go back on their policy this year of not handing out race weekends for free in order to get close to 23 rounds??

Will we end up with one or two back to backs as reported a few weeks ago either at COTA, Saudi or Abu Dhabi?

Or will we end up with a couple of European rounds filling the void? If so one would hope that logic applies and southern europe will be looked at first to lessen the risk of cold/very wet conditions which disrupts running (like nurby last year)? Obviously any venues chosen will need to work with various country's covid quarantine's entry and exit rules!

Could Portimao get a 2nd race, Estoril, and what about Aragon, Navarra or Jerez? Maybe even another southern france event?
Old 19 Aug 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4067832)   #2111
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the uncertainty about the calendar makes things a bit more exciting? seldom used venues in 2020 made the season more enjoyable imo. a back to back in Saudi could be really interesting given that its new and the teams have little to no data on it.

or

its a tight battle and a few less races may likewise add interest as it will affect how the teams approach things.

less opportunity/points up for grabs, engine/part usage, and i suspect some teams woulnt mind freeing up some of that travel money and putting it back into some last minute performance upgrades?

feels wrong saying this as i will for sure start complaining if another 3 week gap shows up on account of a canceled GP plus i have previously complained about the season being too long before, but for this season, given how close it is, i am leaning toward replacements rather than cancelations.

i think lol!
Old 19 Aug 2021, 20:19 (Ref:4067930)   #2112
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
In my view, all this calendar uncertainty has justified my belief that there are too many races on the calendar and that quality is more important quantity. The fact that we have already had a duplicate race in Austria and there might be a few more as well to fill an over inflated character is quite ridiculous to me
Old 19 Aug 2021, 22:56 (Ref:4067973)   #2113
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I'd love to see Hockenheim back
Old 20 Aug 2021, 01:04 (Ref:4067990)   #2114
Casper
Veteran

The Japanese GP is cancelled, this is starting to look worse than last year with no second race in Texas now confirmed if they even get the first one run.
Old 20 Aug 2021, 08:29 (Ref:4068030)   #2115
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The Japanese GP is cancelled, this is starting to look worse than last year with no second race in Texas now confirmed if they even get the first one run.
Which they won't
Old 20 Aug 2021, 09:49 (Ref:4068037)   #2116
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I'd love to see Hockenheim back
I'm rather surprised that a race in Germany hasn't been proposed as a replacement as of yet
Old 20 Aug 2021, 12:24 (Ref:4068067)   #2117
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Which they won't
Only if the FIA cancels it, the track and Texas aren't cancelling anything
Old 20 Aug 2021, 23:19 (Ref:4068153)   #2118
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Only if the FIA cancels it, the track and Texas aren't cancelling anything
The problem with Texas is getting co-operation from the Authorities to maintain the bubble and preventing some nutter taking them to court over being banned from some areas for not wearing a mask.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 09:12 (Ref:4070094)   #2119
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see where there might be a GP at Qatar's Losail circuit in November to replace Australia, There are also doubts about the American (Brazil, Mexico & USA) races as well.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/qa...endar/6652366/
Old 24 Aug 2021, 13:49 (Ref:4070130)   #2120
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I see where there might be a GP at Qatar's Losail circuit in November to replace Australia, There are also doubts about the American (Brazil, Mexico & USA) races as well.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/qa...endar/6652366/
I find this quote from the article interesting...

Quote:
Questions remain over the races in Mexico and Brazil, given their UK red list status, while Austin - which has been mooted for a possible double-header in October - is experiencing a surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalisations.
Can anyone expand upon the topic of a second race in Austin being "mooted". I can't find any article anywhere that speaks to this. I tend to think that if they were able to host one, they would host two. And I see no indication that the US GP is at real risk.

As to the "surge in COVID-19 cases". That is not an Austin or Texas issue. That is pervasive across the entire US. Even then... I don't see the US changing protocols in any significant way. Generally speaking slowing or stopping the pandemic in the US is now about changing people's minds to get vaccinated. Which will be an uphill climb as people continue to try hard to find reasons to not do it. We are (sadly) settling into a new "normal"

Richard
Old 24 Aug 2021, 16:59 (Ref:4070168)   #2121
S griffin
Veteran

Qatar isn’t the best circuit, but it’s not the worst either. Certainly prefer it to Abu Dhabi
Old 24 Aug 2021, 19:12 (Ref:4070200)   #2122
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I find this quote from the article interesting...

Can anyone expand upon the topic of a second race in Austin being "mooted". I can't find any article anywhere that speaks to this. I tend to think that if they were able to host one, they would host two. And I see no indication that the US GP is at real risk.

As to the "surge in COVID-19 cases". That is not an Austin or Texas issue. That is pervasive across the entire US. Even then... I don't see the US changing protocols in any significant way. Generally speaking slowing or stopping the pandemic in the US is now about changing people's minds to get vaccinated. Which will be an uphill climb as people continue to try hard to find reasons to not do it. We are (sadly) settling into a new "normal"

Richard
There have been multiple rounds of discussions of it on Racer in other articles. This happens to directly discuss it.

https://racer.com/2021/08/24/austin-...o-second-race/

The limitation is Austin has a large portion of the ICU beds for the area and would be the medical response center for the race. It has been SLIGHTLY better off than more rural in the state. But the state has to sign off before they can commit to hosting, but the chances they will not be told you're hosting it, make it work is VERY slim. So far it appears the sporting events have been fairly safe and not spreader events but information always gets added and response should change with new info.

Now if the FIA accepts the decision and planning of Austin is to be determined, but the chances they would cancel the GP without the host track cancelling seems slim but stranger things have happened.
Old 24 Aug 2021, 19:58 (Ref:4070211)   #2123
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the link. I had tried to find one that talked specifics. I could find plenty that just talked about the second race remaining a potential. But it sounds like this is more driven by FIA/F1 needs vs. potential for COTA to say "no".

And as you say... Anything can happen. I am not a betting person. While I think the US GP will happen. I would also not be shocked if something happens between now and then to derail it somehow.

Richard
Old 25 Aug 2021, 07:05 (Ref:4070260)   #2124
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Thanks for the link. I had tried to find one that talked specifics. I could find plenty that just talked about the second race remaining a potential. But it sounds like this is more driven by FIA/F1 needs vs. potential for COTA to say "no".

And as you say... Anything can happen. I am not a betting person. While I think the US GP will happen. I would also not be shocked if something happens between now and then to derail it somehow.

Richard
There was mention -a expression of interest form for tickets I think-for a second Austin race up on the circuits web site for a while.It was then taken down.
Austin would have to be more likely to happen than Mexico or Brazil I would think.Either way decisions will have to be made in the next 2-4 weeks.
Old 25 Aug 2021, 09:00 (Ref:4070278)   #2125
S griffin
Veteran

Austin will probably not run two races, no. However I am expecting the USGP still to happen at this stage. As for Mexico and Brazil, we have to wait and see