Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 30 Apr 2001, 20:15 (Ref:87210)   #1
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess the Year II

Sorry a day late, the original questions had one refering to Alberato, not the best week to bring back memories.

So other 3 quite easy questions from one month a few years ago.

1/ V Brambilla was testing a radical new body design on his Alfa F1 car at Balocco Italy. It was due to have its debut at Zandvoort.

2/ B Giacomelli bounced back to form after 2 defeats in the F2 Championship to D Daly. Bruno tok the lead after 7 laps at Rouen from E Cheever's March to win in his own March by 12s.

3/ An Alfa Romeo engined car won the first F1 victory for the Italian manufacturer since 1951. The car built by Brabham won in fine style, almost blowing all the other cars off the track.

Have fun

Simon
Old 30 Apr 2001, 20:28 (Ref:87217)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ha. 1978. Got it from the Brabham Fan Car reference. Wasn't that the last race at Anderstoorp?

A lot of people refer to the Chaperral when talking about the Brabham. However the fan on the Chapperal was driven by a small "outboard" motor whilst the Brabham's fan was driven by the engine. It was designed to compete with the ground effect Lotus 79 which used a V8 Cosworth. The Brabham was lumbered with a flat twelve Alfa Romeo engine which didn't lend itself to undercar venturi.
Old 30 Apr 2001, 22:26 (Ref:87300)   #3
Tommi
Rookie

Tommi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Took some digging around but:

Brambrilla (popular in this forum) drove for Alfa in 1979/80 not 1978 as he drove for Surtees. So did he test for them in 78?

As Giacomelli beet Cheever at Rouen-les-Essarts on June 18th 1978. He was runner up to Derek Daly in Rome earlier that month and third place in Mugello prior to that in May. Funilly enough he drove for alfa in 1979-82

The Alfa engined car was indeed the Brabham BT46 of Niki Lauda with a Alfa B12 Engine. In Sweden, 17th June 1978. He also won in Italy later that year.

I guess it's June 1978.
Old 1 May 2001, 09:42 (Ref:87459)   #4
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like some more info on the Brambilla/Alfa part of that. Were they testing through '78, and were they due to debut that year at Zandvoort?
Old 2 May 2001, 20:02 (Ref:88060)   #5
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Peter Mallett, answered correctly before the ink had even dried, so to speak ..... 1978, as reported in Autosport Jun 22.

Brabham / Alfa's hoover car won in Swedeen to much controversy. Fairly obvious, so I'll have to did deep for some good questions next week.

Simon
Old 2 May 2001, 21:06 (Ref:88090)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, please. I like the easy ones.