Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 2 Jan 2002, 01:11 (Ref:192523)   #1
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, a rather unusual racing/marriage question.

and a potential bomb. I have a very good friend, I've known him for 15 years, He's in the Marines, and we've served in combat together. I got a call from him yesterday, he's getting married. He met the girl a couple of years ago, while I was still stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA. I invited them to my house, for a Memorial Day weekend Sunday meal. My buddy, like me, is a diehard NASCAR fan, and we planned to watch the 600, from Charlotte, after the meal. Well, it turns out that she was/is a cart fan, and hates NASCAR, as much as my buddy and I hate cart! He didn't know this prior to their coming over to the house. Anyway, she really showed her a$$, making rude, obnoxious remarks about NASCAR, Southerners, etc (my buddy is from South Carolina). The next day, he called and said that he was sorry, and that if he had known, he wouldn't have brought her to the house. Now, over two years later he calls and tells me their getting married to her. I ask him if he had flipped? He said that she still hated NASCAR just as much, that there was no way in Hell that he would ever care to watch a bunch of foreign roller-skate drivers. I ask him how he was going to handle this situation, he said that he would manage, that they seemed to be compatable in every other way, and that he would still be a NASCAR fan, and enjoy NASCAR racing. I don't know, that would be the ULTIMATE nightmare to me, a marriage truly made in HELL! He ask me to be his best man, which I could not, and would not refuse. I don't know what's going to happen, but I hope it works out ok for him. I know I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. What would you do in this situation, if it happened to you?
Old 2 Jan 2002, 02:51 (Ref:192542)   #2
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are many things that Roseman & I totally disagree upon. I TOTALLY hate football. Roseman likes it. He watches his football & I watch something else in another room. He has learned not to talk about football & I have learned to suff a sock into my mouth about NOT liking it. We've been together for over 20 years.

I would suggest seperate TV's & a roll of duct tape if the other get mouthy. LOL.

There is an old saying "Let their be spaces in togetherness, for the cypress & the oak will not grow in each others shadow"
Old 2 Jan 2002, 02:57 (Ref:192545)   #3
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would personally turn up at the wedding wearing all my NASCAR merchandise. Hat, Sunglasses, Ear plugs, T Shirt, Belt, Trackpants, Socks, Shoes (Do NASCAR supporters wear shoes?) and just pretend that there is no problem.
Lets face it at least she likes some form of Motorsport, and thats got to be better than hating Motorsport altogether!

BTW Just kidding about the shoes.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 05:24 (Ref:192567)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee did say he "wouldn't like to be in his shoes..." Morris 1100... so I guess at least those from South Carolina do wear them. And Texans need them to keep rattlesnake bites to a minimum...

I agree, though, at least she likes a form of motor sport, and, if their involvement is restricted to television coverage, the ownership of a couple of VCRs should take care of most conflicts.

They've got a couple of years behind them now, too... so I hope the wedding goes well.

Just one thing... how come he didn't know till he got to your place?
Old 2 Jan 2002, 14:25 (Ref:192706)   #5
Lee
Racer

Ray,

That's simple, it was only their second date. They had just met, had only been out once before. I'd imagen the question about racing likes and dislikes had not been discussed. A rather shocking, and extreamly rude, on her part, way to find something like this out. Not really surprising to me however, as cart fans are generally the most rude, and arrogant of racing fans! That is the conclusion of practically any group in racing. Her actions are somewhat typical.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 16:36 (Ref:192767)   #6
Dick Blom
Rookie

Dick Blom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee I go along with Roselady, seperate TV's and of course a couple of VCR's and there is one more item that could help. I have a set of 900mhz headphones for the TV, if one is watching with the headphones on the sound can be turned of at the TV and someone can watch a different TV, even close by without any noise interference for either. PS, the reason I use them is because I like WC races really loud, so my wife watches the race with normal sound and I can have it as loud as I want with the headphones, they work out quite nicely.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 16:48 (Ref:192775)   #7
Lee
Racer

Intresting solution Dick, but what does that do to your hearing? Loud sound tends to damage it.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 19:17 (Ref:192843)   #8
Dick Blom
Rookie

Dick Blom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is part of the problem, my hearing is--well, not too good, in part from being an aircrew member in B-29s for a recon squadron on Guam right after WW II. My wife has excellent hearing and that combination was what started the whole idea of the wireless headphones. But they have proved to be useful in a number of other situations, first and foremost the races, but it allows one to read while someone else watches TV, the grand daughters love them for their cartoon shows that no one else wants to listen to, it also allows the first one up or the last one to bed to watch TV "silently", but you get the idea. They cost something like $100 or so 4 or 5 years back, the transmitter plugs into house current and the headphones use 2 AA batteries. Anyway I think it could help in the situation you described, it might even make a nice wedding present * G *.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 20:38 (Ref:192901)   #9
Roselady3
Veteran

Ya know Lee- Her opinions have probabally changed over the past couple of years. She can't really HATE southerners, as she is about to marry one. I am sure that she now realizes that not all NASCAR fans are idiots as she is pledging to spend her life with one. If there are any comments made- I'm sure they are all in a teasing fashion.

Awww hell- if we always agreed on everything- that wouldn't be any fun. There wouldn't be any making up.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 21:43 (Ref:192953)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on yer, lady... bring a bit of romance into the discussion!
Old 3 Jan 2002, 06:21 (Ref:193087)   #11
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being close-minded and unwilling to respect other peoples hobbies/passions will not lead one down a successful path in anything, let alone marriage. That being said, my mother and father had a successful marriage with my father who watched wrestling and my mother who despised it and thought it was phony.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 3 Jan 2002 at 06:22.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 06:44 (Ref:193090)   #12
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: OK, a rather unusual racing/marriage question.

If these people can't get past something as insignificant and trivial as racing, then it would be a big mistake for them to get married. It's not so much the fact that they have this disagreement between themselves, as the fact that they are letting it turn into a big issue that is really,IMO, pathetic. There are more important things to worry about in life then racing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
He said.......there was no way in Hell that he would ever care to watch a bunch of foreign roller-skate drivers.
Lee, it sounds to me as though your friend here is just as bad as those ignorant, racist Cart fans, eh .
Old 3 Jan 2002, 13:28 (Ref:193211)   #13
Roselady3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Fan
That being said, my mother and father had a successful marriage with my father who watched wrestling and my mother who despised it and thought it was phony.
Ya mean it isn't ?????

I think that Lee is worried that it is still a major hot issue. Drop a little tease "remember when......" If it hasn't been addressed in all this time, it WILL show up & maybe they will have to address it. If not- they obviously have gotten passed that.(hopefully)
Old 5 Jan 2002, 02:10 (Ref:194147)   #14
Budmakesmewiser
Racer

Budmakesmewiser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would have to agree with rose on this one,like you guys have always told me if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.
Old 5 Jan 2002, 11:40 (Ref:194239)   #15
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Intresting solution Dick, but what does that do to your hearing? Loud sound tends to damage it.
What was that? I can't hear you...

Actually, after 42 years of being a guitar player, I tend to watch NASCAR pretty loud myself. But I did my ears in long before I started watching NASCAR on TV...
Old 5 Jan 2002, 15:26 (Ref:194348)   #16
Roselady3
Veteran

LOL. Tim B- Your comments about hearing loss- might just be the solution for Lee's friends! That way they couldn't hear each others comments about the races! LOL. OR they could just give up watching races.....but I could NEVER do that!