Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 May 2012, 05:09 (Ref:3069199)   #26
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon S View Post
why the restrictions still? why not just make it open?

(I would not want to run any of these....)
That's the ideal scenario. This is just an improvement over what previously existed. Seems there's a vested interest in their not relaxing the tyre regulations entirely.

It's surprising Dunlop isn't (for what ever reason) a featured option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Lack of Spectators + Reduction in entry lists = less exposure of the sponsoring brand. Not sure what is odd about that?

seems similar to an event many people think should be drawn & quartered in the Harbour City.
I'd argue the latter has increased (albeit marginally) since the event's ethos has changed. The crowd figures, and entry list volume decreases are factual.
It seems if anything, the event's exposure has increased. Media coverage is far more comprehensive than in prior years. There's a decent amount of average folk that seem to know about the event - as to whether the follow is another matter.

It's possible ArmorAll's decision was made well in advance. As they've stated, the three year contract period is over. They've elected against renewing that contract.
Anything like this is a long-term investment - it's an iterative development. Evidently, they've decided it's not within their interests.
Old 4 May 2012, 05:37 (Ref:3069100)   #27
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2013 Bathurst 12 Hour - 8-10 February

Seeing as the discussion in the B12 12 thread has now mainly moved to contemplation of next years event I thought it was time to start a new thread devoted to the 2013 event.
The Earlier Feb schedule should help with the attraction of more local GT3 cars as there will be a greater seperation between the enduro and the opening of the GT Championship unless there is some unexpected rescheduling of Clipsall
The opening of the tyre regs. while not quite the free for all some asked for regarding suppliers (Michelin, Pirrelli, Khumo) is interesting. The main thing there is the move for production cars to slicks. Should improve the corner speed compatability in traffic of the prodcars and GT. Will also make the cut off qualification lap time more achievable and allow entrants in that field to look at improved outright placings.
The 7litre "invitation" class is a bit of a worry. The intention may be to fit Mal Rose and some existing limited build specials in but could provide the opening for something that was as dominant as the Monaros. Something developed from GT3 Moslers for instance.
Meanwhile $5500 in August is a long way ahead to put your money down with no announced major sponsor.
And how do Tony Quinn or Tony Cochrane fit in to the picture.
The BCC seem to be on board but what about NSW Events, and are there any TV negotiations under way?
As the exam papers say "discuss".
Old 4 May 2012, 06:34 (Ref:3069112)   #28
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Likely to be live streaming and the 3 hour highlights again. Hopefully the live coverage we had on Speed as well (not that I have it, I will watch it live in person instead).

I would have thought the Invitiational Class would be subject to the Organiser's approval - i.e. you can just run anything you like, it would still need to "fit" with the event. So possibly no 7L versions of existing Class A eligible vehicles for example.

End of August is still almost 4 months away, so plenty of time to line up a sponsor. And to save $5500, a lot of teams will love to save that and spend on tyres/fuel/parts/accomm etc. Or simply save it completely.

Relaxing of the tyre regs is a step in the right direction. Not too many radical changes at once. If we can get a grid of say 35-40 cars I think it would be a real spectacle. Hopefully more 458s as they sound mega. TV coverage and internet coverage cannot convey how good they sound. Far more "race" sounding than anything else.

Will Audi Sport be back? Black Falcon? Clearwater? Maybe some of the Asia based teams? Maybe some Carrera Cup Asia teams?
Old 4 May 2012, 08:19 (Ref:3069149)   #29
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
Likely to be live streaming and the 3 hour highlights again. Hopefully the live coverage we had on Speed as well (not that I have it, I will watch it live in person instead).

I would have thought the Invitiational Class would be subject to the Organiser's approval - i.e. you can just run anything you like, it would still need to "fit" with the event. So possibly no 7L versions of existing Class A eligible vehicles for example.
Inclusion for any competition special is likely dependent on whether the car has potential to compete with GT3 entries on outright pace. Seems this would be grounds for exclusion, considering any factory participation is likely dependent on potential for outright victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
End of August is still almost 4 months away, so plenty of time to line up a sponsor. And to save $5500, a lot of teams will love to save that and spend on tyres/fuel/parts/accomm etc. Or simply save it completely.

Relaxing of the tyre regs is a step in the right direction. Not too many radical changes at once. If we can get a grid of say 35-40 cars I think it would be a real spectacle. Hopefully more 458s as they sound mega. TV coverage and internet coverage cannot convey how good they sound. Far more "race" sounding than anything else.

Will Audi Sport be back? Black Falcon? Clearwater? Maybe some of the Asia based teams? Maybe some Carrera Cup Asia teams?
The participation of which ever factory affiliate Audi elect to field is, as far as I'm aware, entirely funded by Audi Australia. They seem to consider the event a pretty decent showcase.
If someone's willing to fund their participation, Black Falcon will return. Considering they'll likely be within the region a few weeks before the event, it's within the realms of possibility.

Realistically, the event organisers should have been targeting European and Asian competitors from the outset, for reasons stated in the 2012 event thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
It's probably worth noting the event promoter's objectives there aren't 100% connected with reality; Arab teams traditionally haven't spent a great deal of money competing abroad (exempting individual operators - e.g. Al Masood, Bin Laden - via third-party operations) in recent years.

Any European (GT3) factory-affiliate teams competing in races within the UAE have primarily attended as a result of third-party funding - local amateurs have significantly funded their presence (e.g. Bin Laden, Al Qubaisi).

They've prioritised the wrong region - at least for certain competitors.
This isn't to say it hasn't secured any competitors (e.g. United Autosports - their presence being connected to this is questionable, though). It just hasn't been a significant volume.

Our neighbouring Asian states are (or, should be) realistic targets. Malaysia, China and, potentially Japan, should have been targeted to a much greater extent. Regardless of whether the entries gained are Porsche Cup runners or, GT3 packages - there's a significant volume of runners, interested in competing elsewhere.

Clearwater is a fine (albeit likely minority) example.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 4 May 2012 at 08:30.
Old 4 May 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3069220)   #30
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Putting the proddies in slicks isn't all good.

Their braking zones will be shorter, making them riskier to pass.

Their brakes will require more cooling and probably engineering.

In changeable weather any multi stud/bolt wheel changes will disadvantage them.

They'll need more tyres to complete the event.
Old 4 May 2012, 10:12 (Ref:3069231)   #31
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Worried the prodys you despise might be too competitive ff?
But you are right up to a point. Just allowing slicks isn't the whole answer. To be effective some allowance would have to be made regarding wheel rim dimensions for the fitting of suitable slicks, and you are also right about the lack of quick change ability compared to the GT3.
If you read the existing series prod regs there is a fair bit of freedom regarding brakes and cooling them so that could be OK for most given some tactical thinking by crews and drivers.
Old 5 May 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3070042)   #32
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Decided to take the gamble and book accommodation for the 2013 event.
The hotel manager has already had numerous rooms booked which can only be done if you book the 3 nights. The manager said that some of his bookings are from race teams who have heard that a couple of major sponsors have begun talks ??????
Old 6 May 2012, 02:03 (Ref:3070094)   #33
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be sorting out my accommodation shortly.
Old 6 May 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3070133)   #34
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Lack of Spectators + Reduction in entry lists = less exposure of the sponsoring brand. Not sure what is odd about that?
Less exposure would be a reason to cease a sponsorship yes however reduced entries alone isnt.

That said I am not sure how you would assess the event and Armor All have had reduced exposure over the last 2 years??

Also a lack of spectators - compared to what?
Old 6 May 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3070148)   #35
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My accommodation and leave will be booked soon.

Glad to see all the complaining. Something refreshing.
Old 7 May 2012, 00:13 (Ref:3070465)   #36
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Less exposure would be a reason to cease a sponsorship yes however reduced entries alone isnt.

That said I am not sure how you would assess the event and Armor All have had reduced exposure over the last 2 years??

Maybe the move from free to air to pay TV was the main reason the sponsor decided there was less exposure?
Old 7 May 2012, 00:31 (Ref:3070467)   #37
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Maybe the move from free to air to pay TV was the main reason the sponsor decided there was less exposure?
what he said

and compared to the other public events they are linked to
Old 7 May 2012, 03:49 (Ref:3070475)   #38
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly are sponsors at this type of event really banking on TV exposure to make their investment worthwhile??
Old 9 May 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3071744)   #39
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've heard a pretty reliable rumour that Lightning McQueen will be racing at the 12 hour next year.
Old 9 May 2012, 13:55 (Ref:3071753)   #40
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Japanese GT300 line up on the grid. I believe GT300 is aligned with GT3 and Subaru have talked of wanting JGT300 to make an appearance in Aust so what better place.
I also heard Lightning McQueen's manager was talking at length of competing in the 12hr but may clash with testing for Daytona!
Old 9 May 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3071964)   #41
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see why GT300 cars couldn't come over. I'm not sure on the changes GT3 style cars (like the Audi) have had when they race in SuperGT in Japan, but they have been outpacing the GT300 cars so far this year. So pace wise, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10 May 2012, 00:30 (Ref:3071992)   #42
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I think it'd be cool to see but those GT3 cars in SGT have been modified beyond GT3 regs, they run to their own BOP not the FIA's that is used in Blancpain so the Aussie and Euro GT3 runners wouldnt be happy about running against cars that run to a different set of rules and rightly so. IF they run to GT3 BOP and in their original form before they were modified then that'd be fine.

Dont get me started on the Japanese GT300 homebuilt specials (non GT3) like the Prius and the mid mounted V6 Lexus thats another can of worms.
Old 10 May 2012, 02:49 (Ref:3072025)   #43
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How frustrating is it when every country wants to do their own thing. A global rule set seems like a great idea to me, but sadly also a distant dream.

I remember when we had a global set of rules for Touring Car racing. It was a golden era, but now it's gone and seems unlikely to return.
Old 10 May 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3072053)   #44
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I think it'd be cool to see but those GT3 cars in SGT have been modified beyond GT3 regs, they run to their own BOP not the FIA's that is used in Blancpain so the Aussie and Euro GT3 runners wouldnt be happy about running against cars that run to a different set of rules and rightly so. IF they run to GT3 BOP and in their original form before they were modified then that'd be fine.
Is there a standard set of GT3 BoP, or is there a standard set of GT3 build regs for each individual GT3 series to adopt and do their own BoP?
Old 10 May 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3072072)   #45
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
what he said

and compared to the other public events they are linked to
It would be interesting to see what the actual viewership figures are from 7 to Fox Sports?
Old 10 May 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3072093)   #46
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Is there a standard set of GT3 BoP, or is there a standard set of GT3 build regs for each individual GT3 series to adopt and do their own BoP?
AFAIK there is one set of FIA GT3 regs that the cars are built to but most series have their own BOP using FIA GT3 as a starting point. Super GT is a tad different as the GT300 class not only has GT3 cars but also Japanese made cars (Prius, Lexus IS, Nissan Z, Subaru Legacy etc) that arent built to GT3 regs and most of which have the backing of the Japanese manufacturers. Talk about having to walk a tightrope....
Old 10 May 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3072303)   #47
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
AFAIK there is one set of FIA GT3 regs that the cars are built to.
that kind of implies there are tech regs, which there are not (in GT3/4)
what get's homologated for each car, as opposed to GT1/2 where there are set tech reggs.
Old 10 May 2012, 23:09 (Ref:3072462)   #48
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It would be interesting to see what the actual viewership figures are from 7 to Fox Sports?
i'll await your findings
Old 10 May 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3072473)   #49
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon S View Post
that kind of implies there are tech regs, which there are not (in GT3/4)
what get's homologated for each car, as opposed to GT1/2 where there are set tech reggs.
My bad I should've been clearer, yes there are different tech regs for each car but there is only one set of FIA GT3 regs, there is not different homologation for different series, thats what I meant. An Audi R8 racing in GT300 would be built to satisfy the FIA GT3 regs and then the team modifies over and above (more aero etc) to make the car competitive in SGT.

In the early days of GT3 cars racing in SGT they werent that competitive at all. This latest generation of cars seems to have changed this along with the increased acceptance of the GT3 cars by SGT organisers.
Old 11 May 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3072633)   #50
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
I don't see why GT300 cars couldn't come over. I'm not sure on the changes GT3 style cars (like the Audi) have had when they race in SuperGT in Japan, but they have been outpacing the GT300 cars so far this year. So pace wise, it shouldn't be an issue.
Adding GT300 is a pretty decent idea.

The only (technical regulations) issue which arises is that the SRO BoP reference set (which B12H employs) doesn't take into consideration GT300. Which means the 12 Hour organisers either adopt the SuperGT BoP reference set (which considers this) or, attempt to independently enact balance between the two categories (which seems pretty risky for a single event, with no reference).

This is where the idea begins to fall down. On paper, it's brilliant. GT300 would certainly add to the spectacle and, increase the event's accessibility (at least, for outright victory) to more marques.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 11 May 2012 at 11:48.