Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3837575)   #26
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
By the end of 2020, he’ll be coming up 36. Still time for a couple of years after that if he still fancies it. Motivation to up sticks and join another team (probably meaning Ferrari)? Maybe not so much.
Old 20 Jul 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3837655)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now Bottas has been confirmed too. Obviously has done a better job this season than his results would suggest. That's why he has been kept.
Old 20 Jul 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3837674)   #28
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Hamilton and Bottas was the obvious pairing for Mercedes. Both quick, both multiple race winners and pole sitters, and they clearly have a great relationship. Why disrupt a winning formula?
Old 21 Jul 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3837799)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Hamilton and Bottas was the obvious pairing for Mercedes. Both quick, both multiple race winners and pole sitters, and they clearly have a great relationship. Why disrupt a winning formula?
Removal of the possibility, however remote, of complacency?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 21 Jul 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3837820)   #30
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Rumours linking Räikkönen with a return to Sauber - effectively a swap with Leclerc. I’m sceptical, myself.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3837823)   #31
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Removal of the possibility, however remote, of complacency?
Mercedes have had issues when both drivers are title contenders, and one of those drivers was Lewis. (Who previously had similar issues with Alonso). Given past experiences, I don't think they're eager to get themselves into that situation again. Lewis, as great as he is, become almost unmanageable. I think they're happy as long as Bottas can finish second to Lewis and disrupt others. Putting in a Vettel, Danny Ric, Max or Alonso would cause a lot of issues.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3837830)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I would have loved to have seen Danny in the 2nd Merc seat, let’s hope the RBR-Honda is good enough next season
Old 22 Jul 2018, 07:22 (Ref:3837918)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Rumours linking Räikkönen with a return to Sauber - effectively a swap with Leclerc. I’m sceptical, myself.
It would be good for Sauber to have his experience, but no reason for Räikkönen to do it unless the money is right. Why carry on......?
Old 22 Jul 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3837923)   #34
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I try not to understand Kimi’s mentality.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3837953)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I would have loved to have seen Danny in the 2nd Merc seat, let’s hope the RBR-Honda is good enough next season
As a tea kettle? Maybe, if it doesn’t run out of power from the fragile energy store...
Old 22 Jul 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3837956)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
As a tea kettle? Maybe, if it doesn’t run out of power from the fragile energy store...

Eh? Why so cynical?
Old 22 Jul 2018, 11:56 (Ref:3837967)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Eh? Why so cynical?
If it were my brand, the F1 engine would have done more than 15,000 laps of Suzuka or Mr Fuji by now in the back of an LMP2 chassis, belting the bejeezus out of it at the limits of blowing up. Rain, hail, heat whatever conditions

Break it. Redesign it. Break it again. Redesign it. Break it again.

Bring the proven tool to the fight.

No more testing in public.

Tears before bedtime many times already, let alone next season..
Old 22 Jul 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3837981)   #38
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
IBreak it. Redesign it. Break it again. Redesign it. Break it again...
That's what Honda has been doing since 2014 anyway.

Almost 5 years on... the Honda still keeps breaking, they redesign, breaks again, redesign again, still breaks down... and on and on it keeps going.

In 5 years, Honda still cannot get their engine to be, at least, reliable enough to last the required amount of races before penalties are applied. And then there's the horsepower issue. Made a lot of promises, but the Horsepower Option Never Did Appear.

Old 23 Jul 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3838216)   #39
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
In 5 years, Honda still cannot get their engine to be, at least, reliable enough to last the required amount of races before penalties are applied. And then there's the horsepower issue. Made a lot of promises, but the Horsepower Option Never Did Appear.
It seems you failed to notice Ricciardo's Renault breaking down during the German Grand Prix.

Red Bull are confident the Honda is no worse than the Renault, and those are the only power units available to them.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3838231)   #40
S griffin
Veteran

And also they should be the works Honda team, unlike with Renault
Old 23 Jul 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3838249)   #41
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Being the works team didn’t do McLaren much good.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 09:56 (Ref:3838254)   #42
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
It seems you failed to notice Ricciardo's Renault breaking down during the German Grand Prix.
Umm... the reason I "failed to notice Ricciardo's Renault breaking down during the German Grand Prix" is because when I posted that, the German GP had not happened yet, and Ricciardo's Renault hadn't broken down yet. So what point are you trying to make again??

Old 23 Jul 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3838266)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

Red Bull are confident the Honda is no worse than the Renault, and those are the only power units available to them.
Comparing a dungheap with another dungheap only proves that you have been in the presence of two dungheaps....
Old 23 Jul 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3838279)   #44
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Comparing a dungheap with another dungheap only proves that you have been in the presence of two dungheaps....
Sadly, Ferrari and Mercedes are bad sports and refuse to supply the fine team at Red Bull Racing.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3838335)   #45
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Umm... the reason I "failed to notice Ricciardo's Renault breaking down during the German Grand Prix" is because when I posted that, the German GP had not happened yet, and Ricciardo's Renault hadn't broken down yet. So what point are you trying to make again??

als that was a brand new engine
Old 23 Jul 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3838353)   #46
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
So, no Miami next year. Fingers crossed for 2020.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 22:41 (Ref:3838386)   #47
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sadly, Ferrari and Mercedes are bad sports and refuse to supply the fine team at Red Bull Racing.
I remember Red Bull being a fine sport when they shifted the Ferrari engine from the Red Bull team to Torro Rosso once they could get their hands on a Renault engine.
That's when Ferrari said: never again, chaps.
Old 23 Jul 2018, 22:49 (Ref:3838387)   #48
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Due to circumstances I had to watch the GP on a French-speaking TV-station (Belgian-French, not French-French though).

There was a comment that in the Renault management (not the race team itself) there are people who want to see a French driver in the car and are pushing to make that happen.
i.e. Ocon, or if they can't get him: Grosjean perhaps.

The old French chauvinism, which has rarely done them any good IMO.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 00:34 (Ref:3838399)   #49
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I remember Red Bull being a fine sport when they shifted the Ferrari engine from the Red Bull team to Torro Rosso once they could get their hands on a Renault engine.
That's when Ferrari said: never again, chaps.
It was for good reason, as the Ferrari technical support was substandard compared to the Renault technical support!
Old 24 Jul 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3838481)   #50
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Given some of the rumoured moves (and non-moves) that are being lined up we could end up with something like this:

Mercedes: Hamilton, Bottas
Ferrari: Vettel, Raikkonen
Red Bull: Ricciardo, Verstappen
McLaren: Alonso, Sainz
Williams: ???, ???
Torro Rosso: Gasly, ???
Sauber: Ericsson, ???
Force India: Perez, Stroll
Renault: Hulkenburg, Ocon
Haas: Magnussen, Le Clerc

You get the feeling that whoever gets the Williams seats will be determined purely on how deep their pockets are. Do Red Bull have any drivers in their junior program that can step up to replace Hartley? Or will they try and get Lando Norris in the car? If Grosjean keeps his seat at Haas then presumably LeClerc will be in the second Sauber (unless Raikkonen gets the boot in which case LeClerc into the Ferrari?). The second Ferrari seat is now looking like being the next piece in the jigsaw that needs sorting.