Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Dec 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1782330)   #1
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
$1 mil per week - is that really possible?

According to F1-live.com Raikkonen will be earning around 1 mil USD per week in 2007, and Alonso will make 35 mil in same year.

I've read the article several times, and it sounds as all that is their wage. Is that possible??? I mean, TGF's 34 $ mil/year was sensation when he came to Ferrari, and compared to this, it's nothing special now.

I know these guys make a lot, but top athletes in other sports are making 3 to 5 time less???
Old 5 Dec 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1782342)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But on the other hand, a certain golfer makes F1 drivers look decidedly minimum wage!

I'd be surprised if those figures are entirely funded by the team, that must account for merchandise, sponsors etc...

Incredible money for a man with no titles to his name!
Old 5 Dec 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1782362)   #3
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
But on the other hand, a certain golfer makes F1 drivers look decidedly minimum wage!
Yes, but that golfer has no wage at all - it's prize money and stuff. That's different.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1782369)   #4
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the one thing to note about f1 (or any other race drivers) over competitors in most other sports is that in motor sport competitors are being paid to put their lives on the line each time they race. yes there is an element of danger/chance of injury in all sports, but there are very fre as dangerous as proppelling oneself at speeds around 400km/hr. yes it is a passion for the guys, but they do deserve/need a level of renumberation for the dangers they face
Old 5 Dec 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1782384)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse
Yes, but that golfer has no wage at all - it's prize money and stuff. That's different.
The result is the same it is just through which channel it gets to them. So ultimately it is no different. Motorsport stars get the cash because they bring results to the team who are paid by the sponsors who support the racing because it is popular.

In Golf the prize money is from the sponsors who support the game because it is popular. On top of this they get personal endorsments.

I see no real (moral or practical) difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Kart
the one thing to note about f1 (or any other race drivers) over competitors in most other sports is that in motor sport competitors are being paid to put their lives on the line each time they race. yes there is an element of danger/chance of injury in all sports, but there are very fre as dangerous as proppelling oneself at speeds around 400km/hr. yes it is a passion for the guys, but they do deserve/need a level of renumberation for the dangers they face
However this is not why they get paid that amount though. It isn't like deep sea diving. If they didn't pay anything people would still race these cars.
Quote:
I know these guys make a lot, but top athletes in other sports are making 3 to 5 time less???
3-5?
There are top athelete in other sports making one thousand times less and other top athletes doing it for nothing.
Back to the original question: Is it possible? Oh yes. Why not?

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Dec 2006 at 10:59.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1782390)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt that it's the sallary alone. Add sponsorship/advertising contracts whatever merchandise sales and that sounds very reasonable. Schumacher was making around 80 million, if I'm not mistaking.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1782418)   #7
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At these levels, it's a salary not a wage.

I don't think they get it in a brown envelope on Friday afternoon
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1782439)   #8
Jacal
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Jacal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
At these levels, it's a salary not a wage.

I don't think they get it in a brown envelope on Friday afternoon
No it comes in a big brown paper bag
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1782449)   #9
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
At the going exchange rate $1 million, is around £500000, not as much as they make out, Im sure Beckham gets more than that.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:55 (Ref:1782453)   #10
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
The result is the same it is just through which channel it gets to them. So ultimately it is no different. Motorsport stars get the cash because they bring results to the team who are paid by the sponsors who support the racing because it is popular.

In Golf the prize money is from the sponsors who support the game because it is popular. On top of this they get personal endorsments.

I see no real (moral or practical) difference.
In a way, you might be right, but F1 drivers often have performance clauses as well - few years back (while Hakkinen was driving) in McLaren and Ferrari it was a 'standard' of $100,000 per point scored on top of what they are allready payed, so it's not really the same.

Quote:
However this is not why they get paid that amount though. It isn't like deep sea diving. If they didn't pay anything people would still race these cars.
Agreed.

Quote:
3-5?
There are top athelete in other sports making one thousand times less and other top athletes doing it for nothing.
Back to the original question: Is it possible? Oh yes. Why not?
I compared it to other athletes for something different - is it possible that an F1 driver brings so much more money to 'the guy signing his check' than, let's say Ronaldinho, Kaka, Canavaro, Vins Carter, Lebron James...whoever.

Are they really worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I doubt that it's the sallary alone. Add sponsorship/advertising contracts whatever merchandise sales and that sounds very reasonable. Schumacher was making around 80 million, if I'm not mistaking.
Yes, in total he was (maybe even more), but his salary (is that ok now outlfat? ) was 'only' around 34.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1782464)   #11
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
At the going exchange rate $1 million, is around £500000, not as much as they make out, Im sure Beckham gets more than that.
I might be mistaken, but not for much - Beckam gets around 220,000 EUR - I believe it's around 150,000 GBP.

Remember, salary only...
Old 5 Dec 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1782552)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Amazing isn't it ? Golf, F1, football... etc... gather them all together and you have the PIB from many poor countries. Some stories of these guys tell about a life in poverty before the stardoom.
I don't know about Hakkinen but looks like pretty much the reflection of what the experts in F1 expects from him...
Old 5 Dec 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1782612)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
According to F1-live.com Raikkonen will be earning around 1 mil USD per week in 2007,
I wouldn't get out of bed for that
Old 5 Dec 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1782703)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'd heard that figure for Kimi, too. I wonder what his managers' share is? They deserve it for having negotiated that figure, if true.

I believe I'm right in saying that Vodafone picks up the tab for the Ferrari drivers' salaries, so keep making those calls guys! There are hungry mouths to feed.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1782705)   #15
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I believe I'm right in saying that Vodafone picks up the tab for the Ferrari drivers' salaries, so keep making those calls guys! There are hungry mouths to feed.

They would if they sponsored ferrari in 2007 lol
Old 5 Dec 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1782710)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marlboro pay heftily for the drivers.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1782722)   #17
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Marlboro pay heftily for the drivers.

They can't now though! Tobacco sponsorship is banned!

Surely Fiat can't afford to pay him that? That could go towards developing about half a dozen new cars!
Old 5 Dec 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1782723)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
You're right, of course, it is Marlboro. I always wonder how they judge the return for their money as a less visible sponsor. It must be well worth the investment, but how? Purely by association?
Old 5 Dec 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1782727)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
There are other professions where you wouldn't have to.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1782733)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
There are ways around this. They actually pay more to Ferrari than they have at any other time according to reports.

Tobacco sponsorship may be banned, but Marlboro still make their presence felt.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1782744)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I have to admit I don't get out of bed for that.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1782745)   #22
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I believe his total income was something like 57 million a year which was only a tad more than what Tiger Woods earned.

i do remember one fact though. Back when Dekra sponsored his cap they paid around US$4 million a year. But then the Deutches Vermögensberatung (hope the spelling is right) came with a US$6 million a year offer and won that special place on schu's head......imagine that, 6 million a year for wearing a cap. I wouldn't mind using a cap that said "slap me" for half that
Old 5 Dec 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1782768)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In a way, you might be right, but F1 drivers often have performance clauses as well - few years back (while Hakkinen was driving) in McLaren and Ferrari it was a 'standard' of $100,000 per point scored on top of what they are already payed, so it's not really the same.
That still fits into what I am saying. It is all just different ways of getting paid. That just means that F1 drivers are paid very much like golfers. They get a basic wage (endorsements or basic pay) plus bonus (prize money or bonuses). Both are not dissimilar to many people. I get a salary and a bonus on top depending on what I achieve.

I guess what I am saying that people's wages are often made up of different sources. So whatever way it gets to you it is all the same in the end.

In F1 it is good that your wage may not be perfectly linked to the result of the race, as the example of golf was, because it is a pain if you are driving a slow and/or reliable car!
Quote:
Are they really worth it?
Yes, because someone is paying it. We'd all probably do it for free, but if if you can dictate the wage then you must be worth it.
Quote:
Surely Fiat can't afford to pay him that? That could go towards developing about half a dozen new cars!
You underestimate what it costs to develop a new car, even a FIAT.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 00:38 (Ref:1782935)   #24
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just imagine how much money Ferrari is going to get from kimi merchadize alone? I suspect kimi might get a cut from the sales too.

$52m is definitely inclusive of endorsement and bonus from the team. I expect his salary from Ferrari to be around $30+m per year.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 01:57 (Ref:1782964)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Phillip Morris (who own Marlboro) have a contract with Ferrari that runs till 2011.