Closed Thread

Old 2 Jul 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1345417)   #1
IL LEONE
Racer

United Kingdom
London
IL LEONE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Controversial moments in F1

What with the recent USGP passing with what surely is one of the most controversial moments in F1, here's a thread for some others. Does anyone remember this......

Picture removed. Worried about copyright. In addition it was too big. See FAQ.

still makes the blood boil today, did he cheat his way to his 1st championship?

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Jul 2005 at 14:50.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1345426)   #2
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear mixed views about that incident, but that is a great image!

Jerez in 1997 was contraversial too, when Micheal slammed into JV in sheer desperation.

See http://www.gazzetta.it/ for more details
http://<i>http://www.gazzetta.it/gaz...image7.jpg</i>

The Pironi & Viellnueve fall out in Imola 1982 was also quite memorable, as was the whole FISA FOCA fall out that year.

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Jul 2005 at 14:49. Reason: quoting the source of the picture.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1345496)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Austria 2002, Indy 2002, Michael taking pole in an almost-certainly-illegal car at France 1996 (the car failing on the warm-up lap was poetic justice), Jerez 1997, Silverstone 1994, Adelaide 1994, Spa 1994, Malaysia 1999 - there have been lots of controversial incidents in the time I've been watching F1. No obvious pattern to them though.....
Old 2 Jul 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1345504)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Austria 2002, Indy 2002, Michael taking pole in an almost-certainly-illegal car at France 1996 (the car failing on the warm-up lap was poetic justice), Jerez 1997, Silverstone 1994, Adelaide 1994, Spa 1994, Malaysia 1999 - there have been lots of controversial incidents in the time I've been watching F1. No obvious pattern to them though.....
No obvious pattern! All the ones you mention,seem to involve a certain German Gentleman.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1345506)   #5
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
those pictures bring back good memories ....... SLICK TYRES !!!
but those are all controversial moments, that we can look back and say yes thats when TGF thrown the dummy out of his pram.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1345530)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All rather sad moments that made you wonder about the mindset.

Still, there must have been incidents that didn't involve our German friend, surely?
Old 2 Jul 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1345535)   #7
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
senna prost suzuka ?
i think it was monaco in the 80's when 2 drivers were fighting after they crashed out.
controversial and f1 go hand in hand......
Old 2 Jul 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1345553)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we're lookng to compare controversy on the scale of Indy 2005, then we're probably looking back to the Imola 1982 boycott and rows over topping up fluids, Tyrrell cheating with ballast in 1984 (ball bearings in the fuel tank I think, ejected during stops?), the political bull**** of 1980.

F1 and controversy go hand in hand really. It's interesting, but frustrating and somewhat unnecessary.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1345559)   #9
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Germany 1982 when Nelson Piquet and Eliseo Salazar crashed and ended up fighting.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1345578)   #10
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ayrton Senna's fatal accident at Imola is probably the single most controversial incident to occur in Formula One.

The ensuing courtroom wranglings in Italy have only recently come to a close, over ten years after the event.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1345588)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking back at the Schumacher Hill accident at Adelaide '94, I'm probably the onlyone here wjo thinks this but I don't belive Schumacher was to blame looking back at the various on boards etc.
Not saying Hill is to blame, he's inicent for sure just I see it as a racing incident.

I see Senna / Prost 1990 must worse, Senna dilberatly ran into him at top speed infact he even said if Alain got past him he would take him out in what could have been a very serious accident thankfully they were not hurt.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1345591)   #12
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc
Germany 1982 when Nelson Piquet and Eliseo Salazar crashed and ended up fighting.
I've seen the video, hilarious.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 2 Jul 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1345598)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I think Ayrton Senna's fatal accident at Imola is probably the single most controversial incident to occur in Formula One.

The ensuing courtroom wranglings in Italy have only recently come to a close, over ten years after the event.
What about Roland?
Old 2 Jul 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1345601)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was not a court case over the Ratzenberger incident, because it was shown relatively quickly the crash was driver error.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1345604)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Or, rather, an indirect result of driver error to be accurate.

Actually, did he make a big mistake over a kerb when he loosened his front wing or was it just a result of gradual wear and tear, hitting the kerbs hard over many laps?
Old 2 Jul 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1345605)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Looking back at the Schumacher Hill accident at Adelaide '94, I'm probably the onlyone here wjo thinks this but I don't belive Schumacher was to blame looking back at the various on boards etc.
Not saying Hill is to blame, he's inicent for sure just I see it as a racing incident.
The mistake Damon made was to try and pass Michael. Schuey was out of the race, having hit the wall.

Schuey clearly did that move on purpose. The onboard shows him glancing in his mirrors as Damon makes his move. Schuey just moved right over on him and he knew it.

Pretty obvious. Michael would have lost the title had he not took Damon out, so he had nothing to lose in doing it. A lot of drivers would have done the same but it is nonetheless disgraceful. Schuey deserved the title over the course of the season, sure, but his actions at Adelaide taint it still, and that's sad.

His explanation that the car was handling funny was laughable. I'm sure it might have been a bit naff having just hit the wall, but I'm pretty sure it didn't cause your car to veer suddenly to the right at the crucial moment Michael!
Old 2 Jul 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1345615)   #17
Hip Priest
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
What about Roland?
His death was equally tragic as Ayrton's, but it wasn't controversial for the reasons given in earlier posts.

If i recall correctly, Frank Williams & Patrick Head were charged with manslaughter by the Italian authorities, and the court case dragged on for years about who was to blame. That is why i nominated it as a controversial moment.

Please don't get the impression that i am somehow forgetting that two drivers died that weekend.
Old 2 Jul 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1345616)   #18
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BAR secret fuel tank incidnet at Imola 2005 springs to mind...
Old 2 Jul 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1345622)   #19
IL LEONE
Racer

United Kingdom
London
IL LEONE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy

Schuey deserved the title over the course of the season, sure, but his actions at Adelaide taint it still, and that's sad.

Agree with everything but this sentence. This was surely part & parcel of the season and if schuey couldn't win this fair and sQuare I don't see how he deserved the title. He didn't, but thats history I suppose. Neverless, he cheated!

contoversial then..
Old 2 Jul 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1345625)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
His death was equally tragic as Ayrton's, but it wasn't controversial for the reasons given in earlier posts.

If i recall correctly, Frank Williams & Patrick Head were charged with manslaughter by the Italian authorities, and the court case dragged on for years about who was to blame. That is why i nominated it as a controversial moment.

Please don't get the impression that i am somehow forgetting that two drivers died that weekend.
Okay, didn't mean anything by it though, no hard feelings!
Old 2 Jul 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1345627)   #21
Hip Priest
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Okay, didn't mean anything by it though, no hard feelings!
No worries mate
Old 2 Jul 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1345636)   #22
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Various Prost-Senna-Mansell incidents - not all involving contact... some more controversial than others.

* Senna-Mansell in Rio 1986
* Senna-Mansell in Spa 1987
* Senna-Prost in Estoril 1988
* Senna-Mansell in Estoril 1989
* Senna-Prost in Suzuka 1989
* Senna-Prost in Suzuka 1990
Old 3 Jul 2005, 04:41 (Ref:1345721)   #23
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Most of the races in 1976.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 05:46 (Ref:1345742)   #24
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Niki Lauda winning the 1978 Swedish GP with the Brabham-Alfa BT46B.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 05:51 (Ref:1345745)   #25
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice picture the first one. Really liked that alot.

Controversy is an aspect of F1 which makes it dramatic and stir fan's response. Good or bad, it does add to F1's drama.

I was preparing the list of MS related controversy, but obviously there are many better equipped members who can't wait to unleash those knowledge So yeah, some stinks, some dubious, some understandable, some are non-events.

Just to add to the list, if they are not already mentioned, of other controversy:
- Australia GP 2005 : Stoddart threatens to sue FIA if not allowed to use his non-approved car. Later showed Stoddart is just a bubble of hot air. FIA threatens to pull F1 out of Australia.

- San Marino 2005 : BAR illegal fuel system. Illegal usage, banned from 2 races.

- Hungary 2003 : Michelin running tyres which has contact patch exceeding that allowed in rulebook for a string of races. Forced to change design... Michelin insist they are right despite all arrows pointing a different direction.

- Melbourne 1998 : Team orders at the first race. Caused unhappiness among fans and bookies. FIA issues team order restrictions. Dennis cooks some PR stuff.

- Jerez 1997 : MS's incident stole limelight from what is an even more disgraceful manipulation of results: Williams and Mclaren colluding to engineer a race win for Mclaren in return for Mclaren's help for JV's WDC bid. Mclaren issued team orders to allow Mika win first race.