Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Aug 2004, 06:16 (Ref:1059057)   #1
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams thinking resigning Button

Before I start I want to suggest that this is all speculation.

The logic which I used when examining the Button to Williams move was as follows.

Williams:
Has had an awful season

Both drivers of 04 have been underperforming and will leave in 05

took a big gamble signing Button (PR wise)

Knows there are many other drivers on the market

has been beaten by BAR this season.

BAR:
has had a great season

HAD a stable driver line up for 2005

and finally, many believe stability would mean that BAR could build on their success. An up turn of their drivers, a possible contraversy, and a drop in team morale could drag them back to mid grid once again.

Ok, heres where I start thinking- Williams had the power to minimise BAR's performance for 2004 by signing a BAR contracted driver. The sign would create a drop in team morale and driver/richards relationship would be destroyed. Williams signed Button, I believe first to make sure a CLOSE rival of theirs would drop the ball, secondly because Button has talent.

Do you think this signing was more a case of Williams wanting to HURT BAR performance wise, or was it all about Button being the best driver for Williams.

The court room antics may even mean that Williams can drop button half way through the case leaving BAR's team in shambles. This may not make sense at first; however Williams can state that they are 'being the bigger/ more mature party' and take the Williams / Button deal off the table. They can claim that BAR's contract means that Button was in no position to sign the williams dotted line, and thus 'give back button'. This would serve as a good political move for Williams because now their close rivals BAR are fighting more demons then they can handle.

Perhaps some thoughts?
Old 7 Aug 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1059115)   #2
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting thoughts. I doubt Sir Frank operates like this however history suggests he is very competative regardless of what it takes so perhaps you may be on to something!

If it is in fact true that Jenson approached Williams and wants to drive for them in 2005 i dont think what you have said to be even close to the truth.

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 7 Aug 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1059172)   #3
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that if you asked Frank Williams and Patrick Head which two drivers they wanted to replace their 04 line up with three races into the season, they'd both have said Button and Webber.

I don't think Williams was being particularly malicious towards BAR (or indeed Jaguar), just opportunistic - they saw the chance to get both the drivers they wanted and took it accordingly.

Last edited by Poddy; 7 Aug 2004 at 10:54.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1059234)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Frank wanted the best driver he could get in his car and he's done it.

Simple.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1059247)   #5
Snapple
Rookie

Snapple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson Button says...

"I'm not a legal expert but from the information I have I'm able to race at Williams next year, which is my goal," Button told BBC Radio Five Live. "My aim is to be champion and I want to challenge Michael Schumacher in the coming years and I think to do that Williams is the best team."

"BMW's resources are far greater than most teams on the grid and I know how they work," he added. "My commitment was at BAR for the last two years - that was my contract and I fulfilled it and they've been a great team to work with."