Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 25 Mar 2019, 09:47 (Ref:3893184)   #1
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving standards in club racing

When I first raced the blue book had a paragraph that said unless you had the front of of your car level with the driver's head of the car in front they had the right to the racing line. It didn't say anything about blocking, cutting people off, taking your right to the racing line in defiance of the situation and the laws of physics, taking any line you like despite another car partially alongside etc. I'll have to look up the latest wording but surely a lot of it can't be defined in rules but is a matter of common sense. It could perhaps also be a matter of sporting values but I don't want you all to fall off your seats laughing!

I'd like to ask opinions on the following two scenarios - especially from Clerks on here:

Car A exits corner slower than car B behind. There's now a reasonable speed differential and car B stands a good chance of being clearly ahead at the braking point for the next corner.

1) Just before car B catches car A, car A sweeps across in front of car B causing car B to brake violently to avoid a collision. Car B might or might not then hit the back of Car A who no doubt would claim that they were allowed one blocking movement. If car B did clout car A, the driver of car A complains vehemently.

2) Car B manages to get nose overlapping back of car A who then barges car B onto the grass causing damage to both cars. Note that this is before the braking point for the next corner. No doubt the driver A claims either that B has failed to give them right of way and again they are allowed one blocking movement or even just says they didn't see car B and that car B caused the collision.

Thoughts on current driving standards in certain championships? I'm sure you can work out which one I'm talking about from what was on this weekend! I suppose lower midfield was always a dodgy place to be!

Cheers for any thoughts,

Scott
Old 25 Mar 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3893234)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Clerk would want to see any relevant Post Chiefs reports, look @ circuit videos if any, and interview both drivers before even thinking about commenting.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3893295)   #3
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've no idea about the specific incidents being referred to, I was karting over the weekend (where I had a few complaints of my own, but that's life). From those pure descriptions, Driver A is clearly being an arse - but they're kind of written that way. Would be interested in anyone who disagrees (only slight haze might be around first scenario - yes, one move allowed, but as written it sounds dangerously late, not a move to block a particular line).
Old 25 Mar 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3893323)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
If a driver did that repeatedly with the clubs I race with, either their entry for the next meeting would be 'mislaid', or if particularly bad they'd be asked to resign from the club, aka chucked out. I'm aware of examples with both organisers in recent years.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 20:33 (Ref:3893355)   #5
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
A Clerk would want to see any relevant Post Chiefs reports, look @ circuit videos if any, and interview both drivers before even thinking about commenting.
Thanks Fat Clerk. That's quite right because perhaps I should have worded my question more generally - it was actually an amalgam of what 'my' driver experienced and a few others who were near us in the paddock, making it a bit of a talking point as we were all mending the broken and bent bits! I was interested in any general comments on what constitutes acceptable or unacceptable behaviour but your reply does answer my question really and so do the answers from MGDavid and AndrewCherry. Certainly, there are series where people get told they're no longer welcome. Ultimately, perhaps racing in those sort of series is the thing to do.