Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 16 Aug 2003, 10:47 (Ref:689692)   #26
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cor I've got loads of them.
People who drive on Dual Carriageways, motorways at just over 50mph and when I try and overtake them they speed up then when I move back behind them they slow down again. They then wonder why 44 tons of truck is tailgating them. People who don't look far enough up the road to realise the reason I'm trying to pull into the next lane is to avoid hitting the broken down vehicle. When I'm going to farms being told by people that trucks should not be on these roads. How do they think that the crops get from the farm to the supermarket? Teleportation! Main gripe is peoples general lack of observation and awareness of whats going on around them. This is the cause of many more acidents than speeding.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 17:41 (Ref:689866)   #27
sunflower
Rookie

sunflower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Medler have you by any chance thought about taking the IAM advanced test, if you haven't already done so, because your last 2 sentances are exactly what the test evolves around & looking ahead/keeping to/up to speed limits etc
Old 18 Aug 2003, 11:18 (Ref:691030)   #28
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a Class 1 HGV, medler will have done most of what's in Roadcraft as part of gaining his HGV licence... no harm in doing it in your car though medler - the IAM also runs courses/tests for bikes and (I think) low class PCV (ie minibuses).

What would help is that if the IAM standard of tuition/test was made obligatory for all car drivers! (then maybe we could change a few rules of the road, like making the NSL sign mean no speed limit rather than national speed limit!)

Medler, you're absolutely bang on when you say lack of observation (and poor hazard perception) cause many more accidents than speeding.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 11:37 (Ref:691054)   #29
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Dad is sooooo annoying - he tends to spend time checking out females wandering down the footpath - amongst other things - which invariably means he wavers over the lane lines...it scares and annoys me as other people start honking at him and he has no idea what the problem is!!

humpf!!
Old 18 Aug 2003, 17:44 (Ref:691474)   #30
sunflower
Rookie

sunflower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry I didn't know Medler was a HGV driver

just in case my last message was misread, I didn't mean YOU should take the test to improve your driving, I meant it in the sense of your way of thinking is what the IAM test is about.

I personally feel that motorway driving should be a compulsory part of the L-test - heavens know why it isn't at the moment! It's mad that you can pass a test then go straight on a motorway unaccompanied without any training of entering/leaving, judging your own & other drivers speed etc
Old 18 Aug 2003, 22:30 (Ref:691726)   #31
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did understand what you meant Sunflower and took it as a complement. Garcon was right about HGV driver training covering parts of Advanced Roadcraft, sadly though although all HGV drivers are trained to this standard, some then let down the other by bullyboy tactics. I have also spent some time driving with Traffic Policemen and that’s a real eye opener. I asked loads of question and got loads of tips, its also amazing how nice people are when you are following them in a police Landrover. I am thinking about the IAM training and test, but don’t know whether to do the bike or car.
I also think that continuation training and testing should be introduced. To many people think that passing the test makes them expert drivers, but in fact all it means is that they have reached a minimum standard and are supposed to improve their driving from that point not forget everything.
Having said all this I know that my driving standards slip no and then and I try and be my own worst critic.
Right I'm getting off my horse now, bloody hell!! it a long way down.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 23:44 (Ref:691769)   #32
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
CLOCs (Centre Lane Owners Club)
People with rear fog lights on
People who don't stick to their lane on islands.
People who drive so slowly an A roads that they hold me up when towing a caravan, making everyone behind moan about slow caravans. IT'S NOT MT FAULT!
Old 19 Aug 2003, 08:11 (Ref:691941)   #33
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All good words medler

I guess my own horse must be in the clouds - haven't looked down for a while!

I'd love to spend time out on patrol with a traffic unit sometime. It must have been a great experience. You're absolutely right about peoples' attitude once they've passed their test, and I agree some sort of continuation/refresher training would be helpful. I think you're right too sunflower - it's ridiculous that a driver can pass their test then take a first trip on the motorway alone without any additional tuition. Maybe the 'PassPlus' scheme should become mandatory?

Having done the IAM course, I guess I see myself as - if nothing else - a reasonably safe driver. It went to my head at first - I wrote two cars off the year after passing my IAM test . These days I take your approach, medler - I tend to be my own worst critic, and it's rare that I go on a drive without learning something or having some little moment where I tell myself "you really shouldn't have done that..."

By the way, if I had the choice (i.e. if I had a bike and a bike licence...) I'd definitely do the IAM course/test on the bike... I'd imagine you're more likely to meet true enthusiasts who understand about wanting to 'make progress' - the car IAM group I went to was a little (how can I put this politely?)... pensionable... some of the observers had never been in a car quicker than a Micra until I turned up in my 200SX..

Last edited by garcon; 19 Aug 2003 at 08:18.
Old 19 Aug 2003, 15:22 (Ref:692328)   #34
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Woolley has just reminded me of another thing....
People who tow with a car that can't!!! Or, even worse, a car that is not only underpowered but obviously lighter than the caravan being towed- dangerous and stupid!!