Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 Feb 2003, 21:27 (Ref:506948)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Group S Rally Cars

Theres lots of information about the Group B cars of the 80s but I have seen very, very little about Group S. They would have taken over from Group B, phased in, in 1987, and taking over from Group B in 1988.

However the banning of Group B also meant the end for Group S.

The striking thing is how similar Group S is to the WRC formula.

They were designed to allow virtually any manufactuer to enter the WRC, while the cars were supposed to be 'safer' and restricted in terms of Power/wings etc. unlike Group B.

Enignes of 300+BHP, with only 25 road cars needing to be produced for homologation.

Enigines could be 1.2 litre turbo or 2.5 atmo. Without restrictors however they would have produced well over 300BHP.

The little I've read/seen about Group S include a mid-engined Quattro, Carbon chassis Delta S4, Metro 6R4 with 'radical' powerplant whatever that may be and an Opel Astra/Kadett 4WD turbo among others.

Anyone got any information/pictures of these cars?
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:51 (Ref:507158)   #2
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There doesnt seem to be much I will check my books but for now try the links below

http://freespace.virgin.net/shalco.com/lancia_gp_s.htm

http://www.racingstrong.com/group-s/default.asp
Old 15 Feb 2003, 00:03 (Ref:507166)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great information on the Delta Group S car.

Now all we need is information on the Quattro mid-enged car and the Metro 'Radical' Group S car.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 08:56 (Ref:507376)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nothing on the Audi or the Metro, but this site may me useful:- http://www.stormloader.com/groupb/s.html
Old 17 Feb 2003, 10:48 (Ref:509356)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Group S Rally Cars

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG

The little I've read/seen about Group S include a mid-engined Quattro, Carbon chassis Delta S4, Metro 6R4 with 'radical' powerplant whatever that may be and an Opel Astra/Kadett 4WD turbo among others.

Anyone got any information/pictures of these cars?
I think there was an article in one of the UK magazines around the end of the 80s on the planned MG Group S project-I can't remeber much of the detail, but I think they were going the 1.2 litre turbo route, but possibly using a supercharger rather than a turbo- there was some kind of major step forwards in supercharger technology being discussed, although I think it was all still pretty theoretical.

Rover also showed an MG-badged concept car in the mid-80s, a mid-engined sports car, supposedly based on the Metro 6R4 engine & transmission- if I remember correctly, there was speculation that this would also be the basis for the Group S car (think I've seen an article somewhere with an artists impression of a rally version of the concept car in Computervision colours)

I don't know much about the Audi- there was a very poor quality 'spy' photo printed in Autosport around 1986 showing what was believed to be a mid-engined Quattro testing in Germany

Opel's Group S car would have been a development from the Astra 4S which appeared in a couple of British national events in 86- think one of the prototypes of this became John Welch's Astra rallycross car
Old 17 Feb 2003, 11:40 (Ref:509383)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche, Seat and Lada were also in on the discussions and seemed to have cars in the early stages of planning.

There was a story in Motorsport towards the end of 2000, i'll did it out and have a look.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 16:12 (Ref:509636)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
And don't forget the Toyota MR2 Group S. Was a Carbon chassis like the Delta S4 Group S and had 600+BHP. Toyota spent millions on it and had developed it for quite a while to get it right, while rallying the 2wd Celica.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 20:30 (Ref:509870)   #8
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you know that John Welch's Vauxhall Astra 4x4 Turbo rallycross car of the late 80's is in fact the only Group S car built by Vauxhall for the 1987 season "The Astra 4S" but was it was never used due to the cancellation of the rules (but modifed)!

Last edited by Robin Plummer; 17 Feb 2003 at 20:31.