Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Oct 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3858725)   #776
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with that (being a prototype kind of guy myself), however the entry does need to be credible. It's a bit like saying if GT was the highest class that JLOC should get an entry for a Lambo, just because it's in that class.... Not saying that Ginetta are that bad, but as yet, they've not really proved any worth at all....
Well TBH JLOC did sort of "earn" most of it's invites, yes they were utter trash in 07 and 09 but in 06 they managed 283 laps and the 2010 entry was okay + earned through winning Asian LMS the previous year. Plus in SGT they were actually respectable and back in the day that championship along with FIA GT sort of mattered to the ACO entry process
Old 24 Oct 2018, 08:51 (Ref:3858801)   #777
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Frankly, if they don't do any other race, I am not sure I even *want* to see them at Le Mans. IMO, if they just don't turn up anywhere, their place on the Le Mans entry list should go to a team that does deserve it.
It would be a farce to turn down a team that raced all year long in favour of Ginetta.

I'd rather see a Racing Engineering LMP2 car than Ginetta at Le Mans.
I can't disagree with that sentiment, but I would still prefer (personally/selfishly) to see Ginetta there. A HUGE amount of money has been invested in the programme, the entries are fully paid up, and actually, on the one occasion the car has raced, it did ok, despite the lack of testing and without optimum aero (or power). From memory, wasn't the #5 the only non-Rebellion privateer P1 to be classified (at Le Mans)?

I totally get the negativity towards the programme, but for me, I'm on the other side of the fence, I want to see what this car is capable of. My gut feeling is that it is fundamentally a better car than the BR1, and that had things turned out differently, it would now be Rebellion's main privateer adversary. Maybe we'll find that out, and maybe we won't...
Old 24 Oct 2018, 20:00 (Ref:3858961)   #778
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Even though everyone had already given up on it and thought it was wasted chassis, the Ginetta LMP3 was actually pretty good against the other manufacturers on proper hands. It almost even took pole position at Road to Le Mans couple of years ago.

So I think with time this could still come solid as well... however, if these cars are foolishly rendered obsolete by 2020 already (or possibly 2021) to make room for LMGTP, would people really want to invest in it when it's already getting 'late'...

I still blame Ginetta on not running the car at least themselves somewhere. If you don't show it, you also won't be able to sell it. Of course, were they allowed to run it in ELMS it would be easier for their "limited capabilities", but you know...
Old 24 Oct 2018, 21:36 (Ref:3858981)   #779
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I can't disagree with that sentiment, but I would still prefer (personally/selfishly) to see Ginetta there. A HUGE amount of money has been invested in the programme, the entries are fully paid up, and actually, on the one occasion the car has raced, it did ok, despite the lack of testing and without optimum aero (or power). From memory, wasn't the #5 the only non-Rebellion privateer P1 to be classified (at Le Mans)?

I totally get the negativity towards the programme, but for me, I'm on the other side of the fence, I want to see what this car is capable of. My gut feeling is that it is fundamentally a better car than the BR1, and that had things turned out differently, it would now be Rebellion's main privateer adversary. Maybe we'll find that out, and maybe we won't...
I fall into the disillusioned camp now with this. However I would love to see them back out there, partly for the reasons you say and partly for the sake of the team and company.

My concern if they don’t enter other races is that they won’t be race ready at Le Mans and by then everyone else will have a year under their belt.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3859049)   #780
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
...partly for the reasons you say and partly for the sake of the team and company.
For sure, in no way is this simply about money, there are many with a deep emotional connection with this car, not least LT himself.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 08:56 (Ref:3859055)   #781
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I agree 100% with that statement. Ginetta are local to me so I want to see them do well.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3859136)   #782
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Arguably, spending more money to continue the car could be worse. Are they going to sell any of these? Not likely. Are they going to break even? Not likely. Why sink more money into it? Is that going to be good for Ginetta?

I can't remember who said it, but I once heard something that basically said that reality is a branching stream of probabilities, and by putting effort into things you increase the probability of success and decrease the possibility of failure. However, sometimes, no matter how hard you work, failure is sometimes the only possible outcome. Once you get to that point, you should cancel the project immediately to cut future losses. Unless you're a government project, then you'll continue on for at least another 5 years before cancellation.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 21:21 (Ref:3859188)   #783
Deleted
Veteran

If they bail out, perhaps ACO also kills off the fresh LMP3 cartel deal with them. Maybe there are stipulations for that

Anyway they could still take their time nice and steady if there was guarantee that these cars are still eligible beyond LM 2020

But there isn't
Old 20 Nov 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3864565)   #784
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/ewa...in-de-semaine/

The technical director of Ginetta will leave the manufacturer this weekend. I think this marks the final end for the Ginetta LMP1 project.
Really sad as the car was the most promising design of all privateers but could never show it
Old 20 Nov 2018, 20:00 (Ref:3864573)   #785
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it is truly done from Ginetta side (let us wait and see what happens), there is still the possibility of the car or at least the monocoque being bought and utilised elsewhere. This is something we have seen endless of times in Sportscar racing, most successful being the Reynard/DBA/Zytek.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 20:23 (Ref:3864584)   #786
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
If it is truly done from Ginetta side (let us wait and see what happens), there is still the possibility of the car or at least the monocoque being bought and utilised elsewhere. This is something we have seen endless of times in Sportscar racing, most successful being the Reynard/DBA/Zytek.
That is a good thought, who else could buy the IP and build themselves a car? There's always that Ferrari in LMP1 like rumor of Hyundai/Kia being interested in sportscars. Course that's usually a DPi thing over full LMP1. SGR seems to be intent on building their own Panoz style project so I'd say they are out. Any open wheel feeder teams with DEEP pockets from a not F1 talent driver out there? Or Russian oil/gem/criminal masterminds wanting to take on BR and clean some cash?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3864585)   #787
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That is a good thought, who else could buy the IP and build themselves a car? There's always that Ferrari in LMP1 like rumor of Hyundai/Kia being interested in sportscars. Course that's usually a DPi thing over full LMP1. SGR seems to be intent on building their own Panoz style project so I'd say they are out. Any open wheel feeder teams with DEEP pockets from a not F1 talent driver out there? Or Russian oil/gem/criminal masterminds wanting to take on BR and clean some cash?
Remember the Monocoque is good for both the future Hyper-car (perhaps) and DPi .
Old 21 Nov 2018, 07:32 (Ref:3864664)   #788
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Remember the Monocoque is good for both the future Hyper-car (perhaps) and DPi .

I thought that only Dallara, Onroak, Oreca and riley/Multimatic monocoque were eligible for DPi. Am I wrong?
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3864709)   #789
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tique View Post
I thought that only Dallara, Onroak, Oreca and riley/Multimatic monocoque were eligible for DPi. Am I wrong?

You are correct. I believe he was talking more about design specs than anything else, since P1 and P2 tubs are effectively identical nowadays(result of safety rules).
Old 22 Nov 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3865057)   #790
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tique View Post
With IMSA's P2-DPi class split it wouldn't be beyond imagination for them to let the Korean manufacturers dollars flow into the series if the stream is thick enough and allow a Ginetta designed tub to 'compete' in their top prototype class (not saying it's likely either).
Old 3 Dec 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3867676)   #791
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Is the Ginetta going to appear in Japan?

They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.
Old 3 Dec 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3867679)   #792
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It'd be a few months late if it appeared in Japan
Old 4 Dec 2018, 00:06 (Ref:3867754)   #793
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It'd be a few months late if it appeared in Japan

I am already pointing out to the Super-Season 2019/2020 with irony. As we will not have many Hypercars, let's hope for the return of the Ginetta.
Old 4 Dec 2018, 00:10 (Ref:3867755)   #794
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
We will have zero hypercars because that's for 2020/2021.
Old 5 Dec 2018, 00:33 (Ref:3867963)   #795
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I believe that the current lmp1's of the private teams will be grandfathered for the first season. I think that is the best way to go unless you have a lot of partakers in the first year of these new regs.
Old 5 Dec 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3868016)   #796
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/ewa...in-de-semaine/

The technical director of Ginetta will leave the manufacturer this weekend. I think this marks the final end for the Ginetta LMP1 project.
Really sad as the car was the most promising design of all privateers but could never show it
Apparently not, seems Ewan Baldry's departure is unrelated. He received an offer he couldn't refuse, so would have left the company regardless.

And, according to Graham, it would appear that, for now, the programme is dormant, rather than dead, and that there's a glimmer (or maybe a bit more than a glimmer) of hope that we'll see one car for the remaining three races of this season. I know, we've been here before, but Graham sounded genuinely hopeful. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by Bentley03; 5 Dec 2018 at 11:04. Reason: Can't spell...
Old 5 Dec 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3868027)   #797
Columbus
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
Columbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently not, seems Ewan Baldry's departure is unrelated. He received an offer he couldn't refuse, so would have left the company regardless.

And, according to Graham, it would appear that, for now, the programme is dormant, rather than dead, and that there's a glimmer (or maybe a bit more than a glimmer) of hope that we'll see one car for the remaining three races of this season. I know, we've been here before, but Graham sounded genuinely hopeful. Fingers crossed!
Graham who?
Old 5 Dec 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3868034)   #798
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus View Post
Graham who?
Graham Goodwin (Daily Sportscar editor). Graham understands that funding to resurrect the programme is now in place and that the LMEM and ACO just need to be convinced that they are able to pay whatever fines are due. If I've understood correctly, it all comes down to the response from the LMEM and ACO. If they get the green light, it appears that it would be for a single car entry only.
Old 5 Dec 2018, 19:34 (Ref:3868120)   #799
Columbus
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
Columbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah.... thought you were referring to Graeme Lowdon (who was last reported as having left the project).

I hope Graham Goodwin is correct about funding, but I think Ginetta has bigger problems to overcome. The Ginetta LMP1 has not been seen since Le Mans, where it performed like a mid-field LMP2. Mecachrome got the blame, but who knows how it will perform or how reliable it will be with AER power. Has it even done any testing? Can they really gain enough data from three single-entry races to catch the established constructors?

The departed tech chief probably figured out the answer to that just before he quit.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3868242)   #800
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus View Post
Has it even done any testing? Can they really gain enough data from three single-entry races to catch the established constructors?
No idea, but I'd be very surprised if it transpires that they have been testing since installing the AER engine.