Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Oct 2020, 12:12 (Ref:4007775)   #201
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That surely can't be going ahead??
Why? Its basically a free for all now.
Old 2 Oct 2020, 09:23 (Ref:4007915)   #202
JTN358AT
Rookie

JTN358AT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a pity that BGT, won't reschedule the meeting elsewhere. Somewhere that will allow spectators in. A three hour race at Brands or Oulton might not be a bad thing. That said, Silverstone, is the ideal track, the streaming is excellent and those grandstands are cold in July, let alone November.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 18:12 (Ref:4008559)   #203
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good day at Snetterton, haven’t been in a few years and it’s always refreshing how straightforward it is.

Racing was pretty good, the mclaren GT3s seem to shed every inch of speed they had for race 2, Lamborghinis looked the most comfortable in the damp conditions today. The AMG’s were a little squirrely but maybe just overdriving Am’s, the Bentley looked dreadful in the wet, and I’m not sure what the deal with the 488 was, they looked like they were in a class below all day
Old 5 Oct 2020, 07:58 (Ref:4008640)   #204
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting day. Bit of a curate's egg.

GTs were great - especially being able to photograph them in the rain. We knew the weather would be wet and windy so dressed for it and fine. Lots of photos to work through and will post link in due course.

However, not sure that 20 minute and 50 minute race for a dozen Radicals were right for Sunday especially on the 300 course. I am sure that longer track makes it more interesting for the drivers, but for spectators it's less of an attraction.

I do realise that we are living in extraordinary times and I am sure that it's a blast driving a Radical round any circuit. I am also grateful that MSV have given me a lot of motorsport to enjoy live over recent weeks, so a minor niggle.
Old 5 Oct 2020, 08:51 (Ref:4008643)   #205
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
GTs were great - especially being able to photograph them in the rain. We knew the weather would be wet and windy so dressed for it and fine. Lots of photos to work through and will post link in due course.
I agree - GT cars in the wet are great to photograph, you can get some very impressive spray shots and lights blazing is always a good look

Quote:
However, not sure that 20 minute and 50 minute race for a dozen Radicals were right for Sunday especially on the 300 course. I am sure that longer track makes it more interesting for the drivers, but for spectators it's less of an attraction.
The most tedious race I've ever seen was 9 Radicals on the Brands GP loop (it got worse as they lost a couple early on). I went back to the car and had a snooze. As you say - I'm sure Radicals are great for the drivers but I've never watched a Radical race and come away thinking "that was great".

Quote:
I am also grateful that MSV have given me a lot of motorsport to enjoy live over recent weeks,
credit where it's due - MSV have done a good job of getting the circuits opened up and making it viable for spectators to be there.
Old 5 Oct 2020, 10:05 (Ref:4008655)   #206
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched race 2, enjoyed it. I had to miss race 1 as I was committed to a dump run! But those races are over before they've really started, an hour is just too short.

Another 'vicarious' success moment as my lad was working for HHC on their #58 GT4 McLaren which had a pretty good weekend.
Old 5 Oct 2020, 12:21 (Ref:4008669)   #207
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I watched race 2, enjoyed it. I had to miss race 1 as I was committed to a dump run!
You can keep your bathroom visits to yourself!
Old 5 Oct 2020, 15:32 (Ref:4008701)   #208
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Good day at Snetterton, haven’t been in a few years and it’s always refreshing how straightforward it is.

Racing was pretty good, the mclaren GT3s seem to shed every inch of speed they had for race 2, Lamborghinis looked the most comfortable in the damp conditions today. The AMG’s were a little squirrely but maybe just overdriving Am’s, the Bentley looked dreadful in the wet, and I’m not sure what the deal with the 488 was, they looked like they were in a class below all day
I watched the Race 1 & 2 streams on Youtube when I got home from the circuit, they interviewed one of the Ferrari drivers on the grid - apparently the Evo update to the car over the winter was designed to make it easier on it's tyres. This seems to have worked pretty well in normal conditions, but in the cold & wet conditions at Snett they couldn't get the tyres into the operating window.
Quote:
Interesting day. Bit of a curate's egg.

I do realise that we are living in extraordinary times and I am sure that it's a blast driving a Radical round any circuit. I am also grateful that MSV have given me a lot of motorsport to enjoy live over recent weeks, so a minor niggle.
The second Radical race in particular was pretty tedious, I agree, so I went and warmed up in the car for a bit. Really, though, I also just want to echo your point about MSV. They have absolutely stepped up in terms of giving us live motorsport at all their venues as far as they can, and I'm looking forward to a few more cold and probably wet weekends before this very strange season ends...
Old 5 Oct 2020, 16:42 (Ref:4008713)   #209
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
You can keep your bathroom visits to yourself!
Well, I disposed of enough old wood to have made a few logs! (Sorry..... ).
Old 5 Oct 2020, 21:09 (Ref:4008747)   #210
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well, I disposed of enough old wood to have made a few logs! (Sorry..... ).
😆😆👍🏻
Old 6 Oct 2020, 07:38 (Ref:4008793)   #211
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
However, not sure that 20 minute and 50 minute race for a dozen Radicals were right for Sunday especially on the 300 course.
Despite my misgivings, they made for some interesting photos ...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmRdkA7G
Old 8 Oct 2020, 12:52 (Ref:4009150)   #212
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
And now ! British GT race 1 - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmRfTsLa

The rain and spray really does bring a new dimension to the images.
Old 8 Oct 2020, 19:29 (Ref:4009209)   #213
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And now ! British GT race 1 - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmRfTsLa

The rain and spray really does bring a new dimension to the images.
Ones with the rain lights on while the cars go away from you look neat.
Nice panning shots towards the end too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Oct 2020, 07:39 (Ref:4010521)   #214
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jenson Button and Chris Buncombe joining up in a McLaren for Silverstone

https://twitter.com/JensonButton/sta...664852994?s=19

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Oct 2020, 08:18 (Ref:4010535)   #215
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Just got the business case for allowing capped numbers of well managed spectators into Silverstone for the British GT; oh wait ...

"Security guards" on the bridges / tunnel. Spectators on the outside only; teams on the inside only. Am I overthinking this ?

I see the marathon is still happening. Cost of taking part is on their website.

Sorry to bang on, it just saddens me that the self anointed "home of British motorsport" seems not to care about the fans - or are they just that dis-organised ?
Old 14 Oct 2020, 08:47 (Ref:4010545)   #216
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
I agree, it's a poor show. Especially as Silverstone is so much more open than any of the other tracks that have made the effort. I think it's a difference between a circuit run as a business and a circuit run by an elite club...would I be wrong if I guessed that BRDC members have access to the clubhouse?
Old 14 Oct 2020, 08:50 (Ref:4010547)   #217
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think their risk assessment probably goes somewhere along the lines of:

1. we'll be responsible for people's behaviour. with such a massive site, is it worth the cost of additional staff to keep an eye on people and enforce social distancing/the rule of six?

2. how many people will have to come along to pay for extra staff? how many staff will we need per spectator? if you assume every person pays £20 to get in, then you'll need at least six of them to hire an extra security guard.

3. if we limit the areas they can go to, will it mean putting up barriers? do we own them or will we need to rent at additional cost plus security?

4. another consideration is the local council. different msv circuits have had their local councils on their backs to different degrees already, is the relevant council for silverstone comfortable or are they going to go around looking for minor infringements? is the fine going to be affordable?

and so on. i can't express how thin the ice msv have been skating on, particularly with having so few staff at work. can't blame silverstone for not wanting to take the risk. it's not the fault of the sport, it's the fault of the government for not doing their homework, and the fault of people for not behaving themselves and distancing/wearing masks/practicing basic hygiene.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 09:18 (Ref:4010557)   #218
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Bella, I agree. It's a fine judgment and video (apparently) from last night in Liverpool doesn't help. However, from my experience as a spectator at over 20 meetings since July I have seen pretty much universally sensible behaviour - added to which it's all outdoors where the risk is significantly reduced.

If there is significant risk, it is surely in the paddock and pits.

Like all the BGT it will be streamed for free and that, at least, should be applauded.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 09:27 (Ref:4010562)   #219
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nice to see JB racing in the series, he has done well in Super GT and the series can benefit from having a big name like him in it
Old 14 Oct 2020, 09:36 (Ref:4010567)   #220
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
However, from my experience as a spectator at over 20 meetings since July I have seen pretty much universally sensible behaviour - added to which it's all outdoors where the risk is significantly reduced.
Absolutely, I've felt that in general the behaviour at tracks as been better than I see on my weekly shop in the supermarket or simply going for a walk around town. Not perfect, but better than elsewhere. Santa Pod was probably the poorest, but more down to the people attending than the venue itself.

Let's be honest, a British GT event in November isn't going to be drawing a huge crowd anyway so should be relatively straightforward to manage the people.

Edit: Plus of course we're talking about a venue still promoting a half marathon, where you have bunches of people breathing heavily around each other.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 09:49 (Ref:4010573)   #221
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Bella, I agree. It's a fine judgment and video (apparently) from last night in Liverpool doesn't help. However, from my experience as a spectator at over 20 meetings since July I have seen pretty much universally sensible behaviour - added to which it's all outdoors where the risk is significantly reduced.

If there is significant risk, it is surely in the paddock and pits.

Like all the BGT it will be streamed for free and that, at least, should be applauded.
whilst it's good to hear people are generally being sensible, i think maybe msv are legislating for the best possible behaviour where silverstone are looking at the lowest common denominator.

the difference between the paddock and the public area is that in the paddock the liability lies with the team you're working for. in the public area, if there's an outbreak it's going to roll back to the circuit in the same way as it would do with any other venue.

free live streaming is excellent, i agree. although for an event of that size with that kind of money in it, it's pretty much the bare minimum and should be expected. but that's an entirely different argument
Old 14 Oct 2020, 12:08 (Ref:4010602)   #222
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
whilst it's good to hear people are generally being sensible, i think maybe msv are legislating for the best possible behaviour where silverstone are looking at the lowest common denominator.

the difference between the paddock and the public area is that in the paddock the liability lies with the team you're working for. in the public area, if there's an outbreak it's going to roll back to the circuit in the same way as it would do with any other venue.

free live streaming is excellent, i agree. although for an event of that size with that kind of money in it, it's pretty much the bare minimum and should be expected. but that's an entirely different argument
I think its fair to say MSV understand their visitors better than Silverstone do theirs.

British GT at Snett a couple weeks back was incredibly calm, everyone respected each others space, no areas got close to overcrowded.

Lets be real, fans who are willing to show up to a wet and cold Snetterton or Silverstone for that matter, are just happy to be there, so will oblige by the rules.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 12:20 (Ref:4010606)   #223
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mad how they class Buncombe as a Bronze driver. AMs have a right to be annoyed imo.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 12:28 (Ref:4010610)   #224
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I think its fair to say MSV understand their visitors better than Silverstone do theirs.
i don't think whether they understand the actual people or not is relevant to risk assessments.

look at the circuits approach to parking people up on busy days. they don't assume people will be sensible and park themselves, they have people telling you exactly where to park to maximise the number of cars they can fit in (and get out) safely. costly, but avoids potential chaos. obviously not the same but it's an example of the way circuits have attacked crowd control previously.

i agree with you all though - keeping the crowds limited and away from the big events has kept things safe and sensible. people have been attending events thoughtfully and that's been a refreshing respite from the world outside the paddock. however, i also think it's good that attending races has been kept separate from holding races, for the sake of the industry continuing to operate.

hopefully the staff have felt as safe as you have in the crowds and they're being provided with appropriate ppe.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 14:47 (Ref:4010634)   #225
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well JB in british GT would normally add a fair few spectators, but not in today's covid era. Anyway will hopefully see it on TV