Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Sep 2020, 20:27 (Ref:4007264)   #51
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
I have just bought tickets online for the November meeting.
That's good news, I misread their website. I'll get on it, haven't been for a couple of years.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 06:18 (Ref:4007310)   #52
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmR3Zzx9

First gallery from yesterday now on Flickr - some memories revived, some wild looking machinery, a contretemps twixt Minor and Mustang and some arty shots too - all from race 2 of the Special Saloons & Modsports and Bernies V8s
You've done this before I bet ? I am not one for pictures usually but these are terrific . The BMW , MG and DAF are highlights , but they're all fabulous
Old 29 Sep 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4007351)   #53
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmR3Zzx9

First gallery from yesterday now on Flickr - some memories revived, some wild looking machinery, a contretemps twixt Minor and Mustang and some arty shots too - all from race 2 of the Special Saloons & Modsports and Bernies V8s

Some great shots there, good to capture many of the cars on two wheels as they ride the kerbs. Nice panning there too with a sensible shutter speed to catch some motion blur.

We had a pretty good day in the last race on Sunday - Future Classics: I'd changed the set-up on the car somewhat before the event, and it made the back end a little 'loose' on turn-in, which resulted in a couple of spins in qualy. I dialled out some of the adjustment before the race, and that seemed to tame it to a large extent, which allowed me to go out there and finish in P12 O/A (qualified 15th) and 2nd in class - against some pretty impressive machinery I have to say, and about 8 cars in my class!

It was quite chilly on & off, but the sun came out in time for our race - which brought with it its own problems as it was very low in the sky by this time - so it was nice to be racing into the sunset, as it were.

If any of you photographer types have any shots of car 16 in Future Classics (one of the white E30 BMWs) then I'd be keen to see them.
Old 29 Sep 2020, 11:30 (Ref:4007361)   #54
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Future Classics are now on Flickr, including your BMW, Paul - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmR4a3Yq

The light for the race was really good. I don't like shooting through the fence but, inevitably sometimes, there is no choice. It helped that the Craners fence was in shadow.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 10:06 (Ref:4007545)   #55
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David - I just had a look on your website: wow! Some great shots there, you've really captured some fantastic moments with some of those.

Looking through the ones from Future Classics, it seems that I didn't manage to present you with anything quite so spectacular to capture.

However, there is one that I'd like a copy of - do you sell these? How would I go about obtaining a copy?
Old 30 Sep 2020, 12:10 (Ref:4007554)   #56
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks - PM sent.

More races added to Flickr, just Mintex Classic K to go.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 19:42 (Ref:4007685)   #57
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Right, all Sunday race galleries now on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums

I'll leave you alone now !
Old 1 Oct 2020, 05:38 (Ref:4007737)   #58
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brief report of the meeting here:
https://www.classicsportscarclub.co....-y5juWCNe6h2G4

The club reckon it could have been the largest 2 day club level meeting ever held in the U.K. in terms of the number of entries.
I know that Magnificent 7s had 10 reserves for eg.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 14:18 (Ref:4007798)   #59
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

The club reckon it could have been the largest 2 day club level meeting ever held in the U.K. in terms of the number of entries.
I know that Magnificent 7s had 10 reserves for eg.

Sunday certainly had a lot of large grids for a clubbie. Good to see.

Presumably a lack of racing earlier in the year means whatever budgets are available have lasted until late in the season and more cars are around as late builds have been finished and early build have not yet done enough racing to be broken.

Whatever the reason it made for great viewing.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 16:11 (Ref:4007811)   #60
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Sunday certainly had a lot of large grids for a clubbie. Good to see.

Presumably a lack of racing earlier in the year means whatever budgets are available have lasted until late in the season and more cars are around as late builds have been finished and early build have not yet done enough racing to be broken.

Whatever the reason it made for great viewing.

I think it's partly that, and also possibly that we know there are going to be limited opportunities to race this year, and many people are making hay while the sun shines, as it were.

Certainly I've entered one, and possibly two meetings this year that perhaps ordinarily I wouldn't have entered, but I decided to do them due to very limited options to get out there.

One of them is also yet to come, and the way things are going, it may well not happen - which again, perhaps explains the large entries at events that do go ahead.

CSCC, for example, are running a very limited number of events this year: three down and two, potentially, to go. That's maybe around half the normal number of events they'd put on - and there could be some doubt over one or both of the remaining two events. If one, or both, of those fail to launch, then it's left CSCC members with only three or four events to choose from this year.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 19:52 (Ref:4008569)   #61
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
photos from Sunday:
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2130.JPG   DSCN2160.JPG   DSCN2157.JPG  

DSCN2171.JPG   P1500658.jpg   P1500699.jpg  

Old 4 Oct 2020, 19:55 (Ref:4008570)   #62
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also from Sunday:
Attached Thumbnails
P1500746.JPG   P1500763.jpg   P1500783.jpg  

P1500935.jpg   P1500947.jpg   P1510198.jpg  

Old 22 Oct 2020, 22:20 (Ref:4012061)   #63
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Late to the party, sorry!

This was my return to racing though I hadn't realised I'd left, apparently five years since I was last out.

Qually was very much a test session as I'd changed some bits during the 'off' period so I was sort of expecting a few issues but the car ran fine - it seemed quick but it transpires that was just me lacking seat time as the times were crap so I ended up starting from the back of the grid. I'd like to wholeheartedly blame the 6 year old Dunlops versus the Yokos of most of the rest of the grid but I'm sure most of the problem was me.

Race went well, to be honest I'd have been happy with just a finish but managed to get up to 22nd o/a from 38th. Lost out during the safety car period as I was right behind the leader so all the guys I was chasing down got waved by and were probably half a lap ahead by the time the SC went in.

Spurred on by the day I tried to enter the forthcoming Castle Combe and Mallory meetings but both were very oversubscribed so my season ended as abruptly as it started.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 25 Oct 2020, 15:48 (Ref:4012902)   #64
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Spurred on by the day I tried to enter the forthcoming Castle Combe and Mallory meetings but both were very oversubscribed so my season ended as abruptly as it started.

We've missed the whole year with the need as 70-year-olds to be careful under Covid, but hope to be out next year - look forward to seeing you!