Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 5 Aug 2002, 18:49 (Ref:350644)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
GPL and Open GL

As some of you will know by now, I have become "re-hooked" to GPL.

I've been cruising a couple of games forums, especially High Gear and Race Sim Central and I picked up on this piece of news about GPL and the use of OpenGL.

This was the thread I found:-

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/show...5&pagenumber=1

I'm now running GPL in OpenGL but I would very much like to hear from anyone else who is doing likewise, particularly if they are running GeForce 2's with 29.42 drivers (should I be using the 30.30's I've just downloaded?).
Old 6 Aug 2002, 08:15 (Ref:351060)   #2
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
You are talking in tongues mate! No idea on the technical stuff, I just know that I followed the beginners guide at racesim central (like you), got the downloads and it works fine for me. Your new computer sounds more powerful than mine, except that I have a geforce 3 card, (that may help for comparisons).

To be honest, I'm not sure if I have the game running in OpenGL or D3D (probably the latter). And I don't really care either, (I can almost the hear the sharp intake of breath from more techy types out there)! The game runs very smoothly, the 3D cars look amazing and I just wish I was a better driver!

Don't mean to be rude or anything, but sometimes it is easy to get carried away with downloads and improvements to the game, and forget to enjoy playing the game itself!
Old 6 Aug 2002, 08:36 (Ref:351075)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can really sympathise with that view, Allon - my pc is bulging with every kind of download for GPL, SCGT and GP3!

If you haven't actually put the openGL file into your GPL folder you will certainly be running on D3D. My game seems to run fractionally more smoothly on OpenGL, the only real difference being a degradation in the quality of the view in the mirrors - but then I don't use them much anyway!

I've just decided to leap out of my beloved Ferrari and get back used to the Ltus again. Within 10 laps of Monza I was a second quicker than in the Ferrari.

Have you set a rank for yourself ar GPLRank yet? As I haven't set times on all the tracks yet, I can't get a rank myself - but I'm working on it!
Old 6 Aug 2002, 10:54 (Ref:351153)   #4
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Hahahaha.

I am sooo far off a rank at present. In the other thread I mentioned I am concentrating on F2 cars at the moment, (advancer trainer). For an occasional GPL driver like myself they are much easier to control without aids than the F1 beasts. Maybe if I could just get rid of the lead weights in my right foot I would be better!
Old 6 Aug 2002, 17:32 (Ref:351470)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I must admit I've never driven anything but the F1 cars - right from the very start. Its amazing though how much I've forgotten - my best at Spa is fully 16 seconds off what I achieved 2 years ago!

BTW - I thought you might like to see what I'm using for my desktop wallpaper at the moment.......
Attached Thumbnails
monzawin390.jpg  
Old 7 Aug 2002, 08:16 (Ref:352039)   #6
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Now you are showing off!

I did actually have a quick blast last night in the F1 Ferrari around Monza. My second lap was a 1.37 , but that was on default settings and was veeery conservative as it was with the aids off. So that's about 7 seconds of your pace, but at least I proved to myself that I could control my right foot a bit better. It did feel like I was tip-toeing round the Lesmos though, rather than the heroic drift and oversteer it should be!

What settings do you use, have you found some nice easy ones somewhere I could download? I would like a complete set for all the cars, a lot seem just to concentrate on the Lotus and Ferrari. I know it is not the best car, but I would like to drive the Honda a bit more, the graphical upgrade for it is amazing and it sounds pretty good to.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 08:33 (Ref:352047)   #7
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To get a good base for all the cars then go to http://gplea.racesimcentral.com/ and download the Solitude track, and load the default setup for each car and track.

I think i have mentioned this before, but it is the best for all the cars, as the spring rates have been worked out nearly right, all you do then is lower it slightly, 2.75 at most circuits, play with everything else to what suits you. Also put an 85/45 diff on with 6 clutches.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 13:18 (Ref:352279)   #8
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Thanks for the response and advice Tony.

Just to check, do you mean that the default Solitude setup is a good setup for all cars at all the other tracks? So if I go to Monza in a Honda, I could go to the setup menu and choose the Solitude default and that would be a good compromise setting. If so I will do that. Surely though a Monza setup will be very different from a Ring setup? I really don't want to get into making changes myself (ie gear ratios), not my thing and I know I will hopelessly screw it up with exploding engines and understeer all over the place!

Sorry if I am a bit slow on the uptake, the technical side of sims is beyond my little grey cells.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 20:44 (Ref:352578)   #9
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes if you go to monza in the honda you go to the setup file name, press on it, move the curser to the solitude subdirectory and load the default solitude setup. You will need to rename it.

With the solitude setup you will need to lower to 2.75 inches (apart from the ring, where it is set to 3.5 inches or more), you can get away with keeping the ride height at the solitude default. Other than that put the 85/45 diff (ramp angle)on with 6 clutches, and the best thing is with gpl you can blow up as many engines and crash as much as poss, all you have to do is press shift-r and off you go again (sorry if you already do this). The rest of the setup should be fine until you get confident with what is happening with the car.

the simple thing with the gearing is to keep it simple, if you set top gear so that its close to the red line at max speed/longest straight, then set all the other gears to one of two ways:

1: set each gear to the circuit itself, for example at the lesmos at monza you are in third gear, from the entry to lesmo 1 to the exit of lesmo 2. So set 3rd so that at the braking point to lesmo2 the car is doing 95% of its max revs, easy to spot as it is on the red line. This takes a couple of flying laps to check and recheck and should take no more than 10 laps to get nearly right.

2: just set the gears so that they are evenly spaced, takes 5mins to get nearly right, but not the quickest lap time method.

Remeber that the lower the value of each gear is worse the acceleration is, but higher the speed reached, and vice-versa. Sorry if I am sounding patronising here, but keep asking questions.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 10:22 (Ref:352921)   #10
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Thanks for that Tony, not too patronising at all! For a newbie to setups it is good to have it spelt out in words of one syllable. I will try that approach, and also some of Alison Hines' setups. Mainly after something a little more forgiving for a relatively unskilled driver like myself.

On a different note, can anyone recommend a download for improved engine sounds? I know there are some out there, but a carset with the 'best of' for all cars would be great. Alternatively any pointers for individual car sounds would be great. Cheers.