Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 19 Nov 2018, 10:41 (Ref:3864181)   #151
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I'm really not sure about the source, but an article claiming that e-wrx needs 3 manufacturers signed up in the next 4 months or the whole thing is over:

https://www.diariomotor.com/competic...el-campeonato/
When IMG announced that electric cars would be delayed until 2021, they also announced a deadline for manufacturers to commit which was March 2019.

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...-more-time-for

It says in the article that OMSE have been looking for manufacture support and will have some big news to release during the last round. They are preparing for electric cars so maybe they have found a manufacture to support them.

If Grönholm gets what he wishes for, Hyundai support that is, then theres potentially three manufacturers in.

Add to those potential entries that the Hansens were in China a few days ago. Timmy on Facebook: Opening new doors for the future here in China. ����keeping my dream alive �� #hardwork
Old 20 Nov 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3864508)   #152
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
When IMG announced that electric cars would be delayed until 2021, they also announced a deadline for manufacturers to commit which was March 2019.

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...-more-time-for

It says in the article that OMSE have been looking for manufacture support and will have some big news to release during the last round. They are preparing for electric cars so maybe they have found a manufacture to support them.

If Grönholm gets what he wishes for, Hyundai support that is, then theres potentially three manufacturers in.

Add to those potential entries that the Hansens were in China a few days ago. Timmy on Facebook: Opening new doors for the future here in China. ����keeping my dream alive �� #hardwork
Regarding the Hansens, I can't think of any Chinese manufacturer that would be interested in WRX. A Chinese company owns Volvo, maybe the V40? Could make sense since Volvo is owned by a Chinese company, but is based in Sweden where the Hansens are from.

Thanks,
Jeff.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3864593)   #153
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7C6gGDIZx0
A bit about Mountune and their rx engine.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 21:05 (Ref:3864599)   #154
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrossnl View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7C6gGDIZx0
A bit about Mountune and their rx engine.
OMSE actually switched from Mountune to Swedish Trollspeed mid-season due to many failures.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3864689)   #155
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
OMSE actually switched from Mountune to Swedish Trollspeed mid-season due to many failures.
That's interesting, I didn't know that: I assumed they were still using Mountune.
Old 25 Nov 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3865776)   #156
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forgive the double post, but EKS did a live video after the final in South Africa:

EKS Official Facebook Page - End Of Season Live Broadcast

Confirms that Mattias Ekstrom won't be a full time participant in the 2019 World Rallycross Championship. The future of the team/cars is undecided at this time.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 14:43 (Ref:3866074)   #157
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Forgive the triple post, but tickets are now on sale for Speedmachine 2019; £30 per day or £55 for a weekend ticket. Much more reasonable than last year.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3866082)   #158
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can’t bring myself to do it, especially with so much uncertainty around who will be entered next year.

If I bother with WRX next year then think I’ll have another holiday in Riga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 Nov 2018, 22:08 (Ref:3866194)   #159
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Forgive the double post, but EKS did a live video after the final in South Africa:

EKS Official Facebook Page - End Of Season Live Broadcast

Confirms that Mattias Ekstrom won't be a full time participant in the 2019 World Rallycross Championship. The future of the team/cars is undecided at this time.
Big blow for the championship.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 22:36 (Ref:3866203)   #160
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Big blow for the championship.
How many cars do they have? wonder what will happen with them
Old 27 Nov 2018, 00:30 (Ref:3866217)   #161
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
How many cars do they have? wonder what will happen with them
They had four cars at the end of 2017. Two went to Cometoyou Racing and two were kept (I think one of which was the Championship winning car).

I assume the 2018 cars were fresh builds, so that brings them back to four again. That said I wonder if the 2018 cars belong to EKS or Audi Sport?
Old 27 Nov 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3866295)   #162
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
They had five before this season actually, unfortunately I can't remember the source.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3866298)   #163
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
They had five before this season actually, unfortunately I can't remember the source.
Thanks for the correction, you're absolutely right. I just found it confirmed in this article here:

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/131566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport EKS Article
In the Loheac paddock on Thursday evening, EKS revealed that it will sell four of its five Audi S1 Supercar chassis, and invited other teams and drivers to view the cars in what it called its 'used car sales' awning.
That article also confirms that they were planning to retain the Championship winning car.

Having done a bit more reading I wonder how many cars they actually have now. Ekstrom and Bakkerud both used 2018 specification cars this year (which I assume were new builds) and Nico Muller used a 2018 specification car in Latvia: was that a 2017 car that was re-prepared, or was that a new build as well? Szabo was also out in a 2017 specification car that weekend.

Considering the above I think we can say they have at least five cars? 3 x 2018 specification, 1 x 2017 specification, 1 x World Championship car (left in 2016 specification?)
Old 27 Nov 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3866441)   #164
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andreas Bakkerud is about to test an Audi RS5 DTM next month in Jerez...
Old 29 Nov 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3866815)   #165
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
I have seen this article doing the rounds on Facebook...

http://www.globalrallycross.com/no-t...M_MS7NkeRCUjts

...claiming that VW are pulling out of World RX. I am very dubious of the source (the website is riddled with errors and they don't seem to have previously published any original content), however I do wonder if it would be a bad thing?

No manufacturer teams in 2019 might level the playing field a bit. I wonder if any of the 2018 cars would be usable though? I have seen talk about Loeb potentially using the 2018 Peugeots, but would VW Motorsport allow PSRX to carry on using the Polos if they were no longer a works outfit?
Old 29 Nov 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3866832)   #166
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
I have seen this article doing the rounds on Facebook...

http://www.globalrallycross.com/no-t...M_MS7NkeRCUjts

...claiming that VW are pulling out of World RX. I am very dubious of the source (the website is riddled with errors and they don't seem to have previously published any original content), however I do wonder if it would be a bad thing?

No manufacturer teams in 2019 might level the playing field a bit. I wonder if any of the 2018 cars would be usable though? I have seen talk about Loeb potentially using the 2018 Peugeots, but would VW Motorsport allow PSRX to carry on using the Polos if they were no longer a works outfit?
I saw the "article" and some of their comments on facebook, among them "Remember where you read it first". Not a great site but maybe it's true, sudden exits is not a rare thing in WRX now really.

A friend of mine said that after PSRX and Andretti completes a round, VW always takes out the engines from the cars and bring them back to HQ.

Their WRC cars are stored and only Baumschlanger (something like that) in Austria has competed in a car that has not been entered by VW itself. And he seems to have a close relationship with VW since he has competed in both a pre-2017 car and in a 2017 car.
Old 29 Nov 2018, 14:14 (Ref:3866847)   #167
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
A friend of mine said that after PSRX and Andretti completes a round, VW always takes out the engines from the cars and bring them back to HQ.
That's interesting, I have heard a similar spin on that story: VW Motorsport took the Polos back after each round and no tweaks could be made on them. I wonder how much truth there is in those stories?

New story concerning VW up on Autosport now:

https://www.autosport.com/wrx/news/1...tl0kZ-ZkqgUJGc
Old 1 Dec 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3867280)   #168
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Strong words from people involved:

Quote:
The biggest names in the World Rallycross Championship are demanding answers from series promoter IMG about the future direction the series will take.

Two-time World Rally champion Gronholm told Autosport: "Everything looked really nice until a few months ago.

"But now? I don't know what to say, it's not looking so nice. IMG needs to listen, but maybe it's too late now."

Next year's revised, 11-round calendar was a significant bone of contention with the teams.

"They come with this calendar to go to Abu Dhabi, Canada, US and South Africa... hey, come on," said Gronholm.

"We asked for 10 rounds with not so much travelling and we got 11 and so many a long way away.

Those sentiments were echoed by Solberg. The Norwegian said: "We have lots of plans, everybody wants to move this thing forward.

"A year ago we talked about World RX and the potential was massive.

"It was going to be bigger than Formula E, we had manufacturers coming from all over the place to compete in eWRX, all over the world the tracks wanted us, the fans wanted us. What's happened in the last year?

Loeb is working hard to try to secure Peugeot's race cars for next season, but this year's World RX of Belgium winner admits the lack of clarity on the future is making it hard.

"What made Peugeot retire was the decision not to go for electric, this was a major problem for them and now for me," said Loeb.

"Compared with other motorsports, RX is not so expensive for the manufacturers, but the show is good for the spectators at the events and on TV.

"Look at Formula E, the show is not so good, but it has good promotion and it's exciting for the manufacturers. It's not as nice as RX could be.

"But we don't have the promotion. In France, [WRX] is not really on television, people don't know about it.

"I meet people in airports, in the street and they say: 'Oh, how are you? How are you enjoying retirement? Don't you miss the driving?'

"We need to improve the communication. We need to make it more like an American show, it needs more atmosphere - we need to make people talk about the sport more. We need to promote it."

More immediately, Loeb said costs needed to be cut for next season.

"We don't have the manufacturers for next year," he said. "It will be for privateers, so for 2019, the most direct solution is to reduce the costs and one way to do this is with the calendar."

World RX managing director Paul Bellamy spoke at length with Autosport and outlined his own frustrations.

"Nobody has said this to my face, but I hear rumours that we're not doing enough," Bellamy said.

"IMG invested multi millions of dollars at significant cost to ourselves - more investment than ever - in new tracks and a digital platform which brings half a million unique views on social media.

"Next year we will stream every race live and for free. What more do they want?

"I have spoken to the teams about the calendar and they can demand what they want, they don't understand the contractual issues going on."

Bellamy admitted he was baffled by Loeb's concerns with media exposure in France.

When asked to comment on Loeb's claim he said: "I don't believe that for a minute. I'm not aware of what Sebastien said, but I just don't think that's right, certainly not in France."

Bellamy added that "the 2019 calendar hasn't been ratified yet," and he said it could change at next week's World Motor Sport Council meeting, but he refused to comment further on whether that would mean a reduction in rounds.

Beyond next season, Bellamy remains upbeat about the chances of moving to electric power in time for 2021.

"The FIA says we need at least three OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) by March," he said.

"Without those, we stay with internal combustion. At the moment, I have three OEMs who have said yes, verbally to me, that they will go electric.

"There's those three - and that doesn't include Peugeot - and one other manufacturer very interested.

"They can't commit contractually yet, but I'm having these conversations all the time."
https://www.autosport.com/wrx/news/1...re-on-world-rx
Old 1 Dec 2018, 21:36 (Ref:3867311)   #169
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMG invested multi millions of dollars at significant cost to ourselves - more investment than ever - in new tracks and a digital platform which brings half a million unique views on social media"

The social media stuff is great, I'm a huge advocate of the FB and YT streaming...but who was asking them to invest in the new tracks? I just about understand it for South Africa and Latvia, but who the hell wanted Abu Dhabi and Spa? Bellamy must have his head in the sand if any of these comments come as a surprise to him. Even those of us with no link to the paddock aren't shocked.
Old 1 Dec 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3867323)   #170
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
IMG is the new Titanic... too big to fail!
Old 2 Dec 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3867457)   #171
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
IMG invested multi millions of dollars at significant cost to ourselves - more investment than ever - in new tracks and a digital platform which brings half a million unique views on social media"

The social media stuff is great, I'm a huge advocate of the FB and YT streaming...but who was asking them to invest in the new tracks? I just about understand it for South Africa and Latvia, but who the hell wanted Abu Dhabi and Spa? Bellamy must have his head in the sand if any of these comments come as a surprise to him. Even those of us with no link to the paddock aren't shocked.

Amen to that! Nothing wrong with tracks! And YouTube, yes please, but full show please for all regions!
Old 3 Dec 2018, 16:11 (Ref:3867654)   #172
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New tracks?
The tracks do the investing for a FIA license, and then have to pay a fee to have WRX to please visit them. And have a lot of other costs...
What does IMG do? Sit and wait for the highest bidder.
Old 3 Dec 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3867673)   #173
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
I don't understand either what Bellamy is on about when it comes to costs. I can't imagine in any way that IMG has invested in WRX at "significant" costs to themselves when they charge horrendous amounts of money from those involved. Obviously he has no clue on how expensive WRX and rallycross at the top level has become.

Some examples;

Mads Lysen needed 250 000€ in order to do a whole season in ERC in 2012.

In the group Enthusiasts of Höljes RX on Facebook, there was a comment about how a driver that sat on the sideline this year had been offered a seat next season. However, that seat would come at a cost of 2 000 000€.

When the announcement came that PSRX would team up with VW last year, the contract was worth around 7 500 000 - 8 000 000€ according to Norwegian VG. https://www.vg.no/sport/motorsport/i...ng-til-80-mill

According to Susanne Hansen, Team Peugeot-Hansen and other teams perhaps spent between 2 000 000-4 000 000€. https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artike...gplYP98Ln56bAY
Old 3 Dec 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3867729)   #174
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't understand either what Bellamy is on about when it comes to costs. I can't imagine in any way that IMG has invested in WRX at "significant" costs to themselves when they charge horrendous amounts of money from those involved. Obviously he has no clue on how expensive WRX and rallycross at the top level has become.

Some examples;

Mads Lysen needed 250 000€ in order to do a whole season in ERC in 2012.

In the group Enthusiasts of Höljes RX on Facebook, there was a comment about how a driver that sat on the sideline this year had been offered a seat next season. However, that seat would come at a cost of 2 000 000€.

When the announcement came that PSRX would team up with VW last year, the contract was worth around 7 500 000 - 8 000 000€ according to Norwegian VG. https://www.vg.no/sport/motorsport/i...ng-til-80-mill

According to Susanne Hansen, Team Peugeot-Hansen and other teams perhaps spent between 2 000 000-4 000 000€. https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artike...gplYP98Ln56bAY
I very much doubt Bellamy "has no clue" about WRX costs, the costs involved in racing these cars has been common knowledge for a long time and has only got more expensive as time has gone on so 250,000 euro for a ERC season isnt surprising when a top team has to make a profit at doing it.

I also think the Peugeot budget isnt that large when compared against some of the other forms of motorsport, Although when compared against the VW budget its obvious VW have a huge advantage. Twice the budget doesnt mean the travel costs, entry fees, tyres, support staff take twice the cost of Peugeot so the difference VW have in available funds is directed where they see fit, so thats about 4m euros on testing or better R&D, engines etc.... No wonder they have dominated and no wonder the others got pixxed off
Old 3 Dec 2018, 22:36 (Ref:3867741)   #175
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
I very much doubt Bellamy "has no clue" about WRX costs, the costs involved in racing these cars has been common knowledge for a long time and has only got more expensive as time has gone on so 250,000 euro for a ERC season isnt surprising when a top team has to make a profit at doing it.

I also think the Peugeot budget isnt that large when compared against some of the other forms of motorsport, Although when compared against the VW budget its obvious VW have a huge advantage. Twice the budget doesnt mean the travel costs, entry fees, tyres, support staff take twice the cost of Peugeot so the difference VW have in available funds is directed where they see fit, so thats about 4m euros on testing or better R&D, engines etc.... No wonder they have dominated and no wonder the others got pixxed off
As for "common knowledge" there is a big difference in running a car now compared to the ERC era and also a big difference between running a car in WRX compared to ERX. My point was that for 250 000€, Lysen was able to do a complete season at the top level. For 250 000€ now, you wouldn't get much out of it.

And they didn't profit from the ERC era either, it cost money but it was worth spending for those involved. It was either rich guys or regular people who were able, like Lysen, to get a budget to drive.

That was the budget was for last year, imagine this year then. Of course, where they have to spend they are equal, for fees, tyres and such. But when it comes to tests and R&D like you say, then it is a big issue. For a privateer it is hard to keep up with bigger teams.

Besides, then why is Grönholm, Loeb, Hansen etc. talking about high costs? Why is ERX so popular? Why are there so few teams in WRX? Perhaps I over exaggerated, but still, the costs have risen very quickly since the start of WRX. The costs of what rallycross used to be is cheap money now.