Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2001, 09:15 (Ref:97155)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika career over ore not ?

What do you think about Mika his career ?

I know he had some bad luck this year allready but dont you think that this season is the season to mutch for Mika ? For me it is looking more and more like what happend to Damon Hill moving up to minor teams and have no succes anymore. The domination of McLaren is almost over again and I think it is time to stop for Mika on his top. This year is his last year of his top I am 75% sure of it. If you think something else let me know it

Ren
Old 27 May 2001, 12:40 (Ref:97238)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Enough of bad luck.

Go home Mika.
Old 27 May 2001, 13:06 (Ref:97245)   #3
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

We haven't even been half way thru 2001 and you are already ready to write Mika off? No, No, No, Mika has just had a baby and take it from me it is hard to stay as focused on all the other things in your life when parenthood is thrust upon you.Or he could just be having a bad year. We haven't seen the last of Mika by a long shot.
Old 27 May 2001, 14:00 (Ref:97257)   #4
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think after today we CAN write him off this season. (driveshaft btw) I can't see him winning another WDC.
Old 27 May 2001, 14:20 (Ref:97273)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that every time a driver starts to have a bit of bad luck people say that they are no good, and should quit F1. This forum has had similar comments towards, well, almost every driver that had a string of bad luck! Most recently Villeneuve, Coulthard, Barichello, Irvine, and now Hakkinen...

I remind you guys that Mika was catching TGW when he retired.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 May 2001, 14:29 (Ref:97281)   #6
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problems have largely not been his faulf. He may not look as sharp but he's still got plenty left.

However, in so far as this season is concerned, he might as well be in the accounting office.
Old 27 May 2001, 14:44 (Ref:97285)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't write him of for his talent or speed, but you have to believe that these repeated DNF's are effecting his motivation. On certain days, compared to his past determination, he seems less motivated. that was not the case this past weekend. But undoubtedly, once a driver's luck turns, (yeah I know, Mr. Dennis holds no truck with "luck"), his career can spiral downward. There will come a time when hakkinen will ask if the risk and pressure are worth the aggravation. And I still contend, its coming sooner rather than later.
Old 27 May 2001, 14:45 (Ref:97287)   #8
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just trying to remember something Mika said earlier this week about him now "racing for fun". I gather Erja has also said that Mika is now going to drive to help DC. I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the Erja quote as one of my forum members posted it to me. But, why should he give up? Why should he turn his back on the team now after all they've done for him and vice versa? Surely he'll want to stick by them in the way they've supported him. He knows the world drivers title has gone - but he also knows that Ron's main concern is the Constructors title. Mika's been around long enough to know what the aims of the boss are - and he'll do all he can to get that back to Woking.
Meanwhile somebody needs to have a look at the software in those McLarens and find out what on earth is going wrong every week.

I'll be back later when I've poked my nose into a few other places...

Kind regards

Suzy

P.S. My smillies DID show up in the end - I am learing all the time. Thanks very much folks.
Old 27 May 2001, 15:02 (Ref:97299)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No Alan. I'm not writing Mika off. I just posted it while I was seeing retiring from the race.
With half season to go, his teammate 2nd close in the points, and Mika with just 4 points, I don't think he could make a U turn in this situation.

Enjoy the view and help DC. That's all.
Old 27 May 2001, 15:07 (Ref:97303)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't believe Mika has lost any of his talent - but I do think his title challenge for this season is dead and buried. It's a shame, but he's too far behind now to get himself in contention. I don't think he's going to have another season like 1998 where he looks convincingly dominant. It might be best for him to cut his losses and call it a day at the end of 2001.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 May 2001, 23:43 (Ref:97533)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Mika - Get while the getting is good

As usual EERO you have grabbed the thoughts from my head and made sense of them (a difficult thing to do )

Mika is still very fast, and IMO, still better than David. But why should he bother. The car is letting him down, and with a new baby, you don't need to many failures like Melbourne for the thought to cross your mind "Why am I doing this? Do I need the money? No. Do I need to prove anything? 2 WDC - err No. Could I be hurt? Yes."

Even Mick Doohan came to that conclusion and possibly walked away from 2 more championships (as discussed in GP Bike forum *end of shameless plug*)

Quit while your behind Mika - you don't need the frustration.
Old 28 May 2001, 08:21 (Ref:97682)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Mika is as talented as he ever was. He has been badly let down by the car this year..If it's not launch control,then it's the clutch...etc..etc Simply not his fault...Never count Mika out,he is still better than David..
Old 28 May 2001, 10:08 (Ref:97720)   #13
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2001 looks like his sabbatical year. 2002 is still open to fight.
Old 28 May 2001, 14:15 (Ref:97822)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

If I were Ron, I'd be FURIOUS with him. If I were Mika I'd be furious with Ron!! Yes, the McL is at times a liability in terms of reliability, but if your driver can't be at 100% motivation for the weekend, GET RID OF HIM!! If he isn't giving the best, then what's the point??

BTW, I NOW hear the driveshaft problem was (contrary to what Mika said at the time) down to a bit of a shuftie with the armco. Rumour, I know, but it makes a point.
Old 30 May 2001, 16:08 (Ref:98907)   #15
boyko petrov
Rookie

boyko petrov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are you talking about Mika Hakkinen? Hi is one of the best drivers at the moment in Formula one. There are some team problems and everyone says that this is the end of his career. You can only dream about it!!! Hi will be champion again, and don't forget Spa 2000.........
Old 30 May 2001, 22:34 (Ref:99067)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Welcome Boyko !!!!

Glad you're a Mika's fan.

As I said before, not doubt about his skills. Just think couldn't reverse his situation in such bad luck this season.

But as I said in another thread... and if he wins the next 6 races ?
Old 30 May 2001, 23:30 (Ref:99096)   #17
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's funny how when TGW broke his leg, as a father of (?) two, no one suggested he would retire. It didn't enter the consciousness.

Mika has litterally looked death in the face. If he was to retire it would have been then. He seems to have a supportive wife (an impression)and is as quick as ever in a car that is close to equal best. Why throw the baby out with the bath water because of a downward blip from a few races. Especially as in four of the races he retired due to machine problems not driver error.
Old 30 May 2001, 23:43 (Ref:99102)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Funny isn't it how quickly we tend to dismiss a driver if he has a run of bad luck..That has been the case with Mika this season..He is still a force to be reckoned with, and if what Ron Dennis says is true he has every intention of keeping the same driver line up at McLaren next year..Mika and David the longest partnership in the history of F1 if I am not mistaken?
Old 31 May 2001, 12:47 (Ref:99284)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Agreed.

But somehow bad luck tends to pursue him. There are times in a driver's career that this happens and this is quite hard to overcome within a season.
Old 31 May 2001, 13:45 (Ref:99306)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

Yes, you lot talk about bad luck, but where are the blistering pole times?? The fast, consistent driving that, quite frankly, made DC look silly?? Where's the motivation gone?? Whenever we've seen Mika, he looks unmotivated, tired and not really with it. I dunno, I have my suspicions....
Old 31 May 2001, 22:03 (Ref:99502)   #21
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

4 points after 7 rounds isn't "a little bit of bad luck" !!!
Old 31 May 2001, 22:19 (Ref:99509)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Okay so this is not Mika Hakkinen's year..That said..He will come back next season..I would feel pretty unmotivated if every time I got into the car something went wrong with it..He just drives it..He does not build the thing.. Look at McLaren in testing how many times have they done practice starts 2000 times maybe...We can only imagine the words that came out of David Coulthard's mouth on the grid at Monaco..Ron Dennis is a very shrewd man..He believes in Hakkinen, why all of a sudden don't we????
Old 1 Jun 2001, 06:22 (Ref:99614)   #23
canadianfan
Rookie

canadianfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not much of a MH fan, but gice the man a break. He's set a few fastest lap and has done quite well for qualifying. I thought when you're not doing so well people just forget about you, but not in this case
Old 1 Jun 2001, 09:04 (Ref:99657)   #24
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive got a lot of respect for Mika, but now with Adrian leaving, one would be brave to predict Mika staying another year.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 12:01 (Ref:99715)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Is this Adrian Newey issue really true ?