Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Aug 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2528449)   #51
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
hmmm, if this is to happen in the future will proof need to be provided that the teams can afford to run it? ie; Give us reasons to let you race, show us proof you will have the funds to race.

This free spot is a wasted opportunity, im sure there are a few teams that missed out on the chance that are a bit peeved now.
Why over complicate things?

Let anyone who wants to races attempt to qualify for the 5 wild card slots.

The fastest 5 start, the rest go home.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2528520)   #52
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Why over complicate things?

Let anyone who wants to races attempt to qualify for the 5 wild card slots.

The fastest 5 start, the rest go home.
Now that is a great idea. That way the teams would have to turn up with the equipment they were going to use. Pay the $10000 entry fee to attend the event to pre-qualify by the nominated due date. Then if you miss out on making the field, you get the entry fee which you paid refunded to you.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 26 Aug 2009, 22:53 (Ref:2528889)   #53
Mr Intolerant
Rookie

Australia
Under your momma's bed!
Mr Intolerant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMr Intolerant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Run what you Brung

Yep best idea ever for getting some of the colour back into Bathurst. No level 1 teams allowed to enter. Bring back some of the personalities and great stories of getting onto the mountain.

Thursday morning 10:00am 40 minute session fastest 3 into the main race and the 12:45 Practice.

Second Chance Draw Thursday arvo 4:00pm another 40 Mins next two into the field Friday morning.

Remainder can either run Fujitsu or go home!

Survival of thet fastest - True motorsport
Old 26 Aug 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2528911)   #54
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Nice idea in an ideal world but impractical unfortunately.

Any team will need to get sponsorship to fund running at Bathurst (even the single car teams have a real 6 figure cost to do the event). To get sponsorship you'd need to be able to tell your sponsor what they are going to get in return. If you can't even guarantee an opportunity to qualify for race, it makes it pretty difficult to convince any business to tip money into you.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 06:10 (Ref:2528997)   #55
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Any team will need to get sponsorship to fund running at Bathurst (even the single car teams have a real 6 figure cost to do the event). To get sponsorship you'd need to be able to tell your sponsor what they are going to get in return. If you can't even guarantee an opportunity to qualify for race, it makes it pretty difficult to convince any business to tip money into you.
I suppose circuit racing in this country has succumbed to the "every child wins a prize" syndrome.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 06:27 (Ref:2529000)   #56
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I suppose circuit racing in this country has succumbed to the "every child wins a prize" syndrome.
Possibly but I think that its more a case of at the top end the teams run (mostly) as viable businesses and have business relationships with sponsors. As in the "knockout" scenario they are attempting to get into a race where they'd be playing for sheep stations then the cost goes up proportionally.

The drivers would still have to qualify within the cutoff percentage and the car would have to survive prac & qualifying so that it could start the race but at least they'd be in the process. Hard enough to deal with a sponsor if the car missed the cut or got totalled in qualifying but virtually impossible to convince a sponsor to tip dollars in when the car effectively has to pre-qualify. It is exactly that type of problem that was one of the main reasons why pre-qualifying didn't last very long when it was part of the series.

Having a knock out of this kind would probably work OK at state racing level where the costs are lower, more self-funding from teams and where they are not racing for sheep stations so it could work in circuit racing, just not at the top level I don't think.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2529102)   #57
Mr Intolerant
Rookie

Australia
Under your momma's bed!
Mr Intolerant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMr Intolerant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Crap! Utter Crap!!!!

The last 6 seats in the main series are SORF funded, as are virtually all the fujitsu seats. Daddy, self funded drivers or sponsors could do contingency deals - $20,000 to show $100,000 to go!!!!

Cash for these guys would come from passion - thats right the thing that VE$A, and apparently you have forgotten. Connected blokes with a dream that will pass the hat around and get the bucks.

If I had any talent,experience or skill I would dead set raise $100K with someone to go blat around the mountain. I may not make the cut but boy do I have a story to tell the grandkids....

"I remember my time one the mountain........."

Dead set you could pull hard at the Knickerbocker just by having a go!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2529143)   #58
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Intolerant View Post
Crap! Utter Crap!!!!

The last 6 seats in the main series are SORF funded, as are virtually all the fujitsu seats. Daddy, self funded drivers or sponsors could do contingency deals - $20,000 to show $100,000 to go!!!!

Cash for these guys would come from passion - thats right the thing that VE$A, and apparently you have forgotten. Connected blokes with a dream that will pass the hat around and get the bucks.

If I had any talent,experience or skill I would dead set raise $100K with someone to go blat around the mountain. I may not make the cut but boy do I have a story to tell the grandkids....

Don't agree with you at all but I won't call what you are saying "utter crap". You may be interested to know that when five or so spots were available to Development Series teams, they were never all taken up due to the exact reasons that I covered - for both the 500km race and Bathurst.

I've worked professionally in motorsport for years so I probably do have a different outlook to you - still VERY passionate (as anyone who works on race teams tends to be) but I understand the business imperatives and the reality of getting funding to go to Bathurst. Even if I agreed with you on the SORF issue, the funding still needs to be raised even if it is from Dad's company and is nowhere near as simple as has been suggested.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2552989)   #59
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Will the teev be kind to this livery?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Oct 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2552991)   #60
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its looks good in that pic, just not sure about the side shot
Old 3 Oct 2009, 03:46 (Ref:2553026)   #61
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats wrong with it GTR? Sponsors certainly stick out
Old 5 Oct 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2554720)   #62
Armageddon
Racer

Australia
Orange NSW
Armageddon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looked fine in the TV for Sandown when it debuted and also during the PI500 when it got coverage. I have actually had a lot of comments on how good it looks on track and TV, so not sure what your concern is GTR?
Old 5 Oct 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2554775)   #63
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Roadways logo does not stand out, the white outline against a black background is not conducive to immediate recognition.

If someone saw it on the teev, they mustn't have blinked, as the car got almost zero coverage...
Old 6 Oct 2009, 00:48 (Ref:2554851)   #64
Armageddon
Racer

Australia
Orange NSW
Armageddon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok then, I know I saw it a few times, sad part being as they where being over taken by other cars and it seemed fine to me.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 01:05 (Ref:2554858)   #65
BAC-013
Rookie

BAC-013 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Roadways car looks great, the sponsors can be picked up well on the TV. As Armageddon said, the car did get abit of coverage but it was when it was being lapped.

As for the Jesus Racing guys, car looked great....

Old 6 Oct 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2554942)   #66
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think Dane (Armageddon) done a nice job on the GMR car. simple but effective, bit like the JD cars.

don't mind the Jesus car.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 07:29 (Ref:2554950)   #67
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, if the #23 ran with the white wheels as per the drawing, it'd look a heck of a lot better...
Old 6 Oct 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2555109)   #68
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Intolerant View Post
Crap! Utter Crap!!!!

Those sort of drivers could enter the Bathurst 12 Hour or the Easter festival to fulfill their need for a blat on the Mountain. The 1000 isn't really the place for it anymore.

Seriously they struggled to get the quality of entry they did. Only three cars, and the third of which the Sieders/Fisher car.

It just bore out the long stated theory that the majority of Fujitsu teams would not support an entry into the 1000, and that without their regular drivers, would struggle to fund it.

The wild card entries are staffed by the drivers who currently sit 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 14th and a Ute racer who did a couple of V8 races last year. None of the top 6 committing to running with their Fujitsu teams.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2556133)   #69
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr Fisher's race car sponsorship must be working.. his posse is stealing the logo from everywhere... Here