Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: What network should the V8's be telecasted?
ABC 1/ABC 2/ABC 3 1 2.63%
Network Ten/One HD 26 68.42%
Channel Seven/Seven HD 7 18.42%
Channel Nine/GO! HD 1 2.63%
SBS HD/SBS 2/SBS 3/SBS 4 1 2.63%
Foxtel/Pay TV 2 5.26%
None 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Oct 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2558992)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What network should the V8's be on?

After seeing/hearing/reading people constanly complaining about the level of service that the V8's get on the TV, where should V8's Chairman Cochrane sign upto next? One HD? Go? Stay with Seven?

(Note, I added the ABC network in the poll but it would be highly unlikey to get the V8's due to their rules banning advertising with the exception of in house ads for programs)
Old 11 Oct 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2558999)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
you didnt add Pay TV there , that gets my vote as long as the ads stay out of the actual racing
Old 11 Oct 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2559003)   #3
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obviously ABC -> no ads.

But they are too busy covering lawn bowls, and besides there will be outrage if TC tries to extract his $100m multi year deal from the tax payer!
Old 11 Oct 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2559012)   #4
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
you didnt add Pay TV there , that gets my vote as long as the ads stay out of the actual racing
My bad. The main reason why I didn't include is that most people have only got free to air TV.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2559155)   #5
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
If it went exclusive to Pay TV, that would probably the end for me and the catagory.

I would be interested to see what Seven's new Digital channel will be. They may consign V8s to this channel depending on what the agreement is
Old 11 Oct 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2559275)   #6
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pay tv has a pay to view channel where you obviously pay to watch a program ie wrestling and boxing...

What if Tony C sold it to Pay for View for xxx$ with no add breaks.

I would pay serious money for that.

Other than that this needs to go back to One HD [10] providing the gaAFL doesn't interrupt with the broadcast times.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 11 Oct 2009, 23:42 (Ref:2559312)   #7
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8SC needs to go to a channel that can be proud to have it as it's "Showcase" sport, not 7 with the football or 10.

Personally i'd like to see 9 pick it up, but as said above would like to see the option for those willing to pay for it to head to Pay Tv aswell.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 23:45 (Ref:2559315)   #8
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10, 9,7 will always have commercials... even if it went to OneHD it would still be full of that retard Brad acting like well a retard asking about camera's,phones and beds with his OneHD Technology Report... obviously Hardly Normal must be funding the channel quite a bit.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 00:09 (Ref:2559327)   #9
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not have 2 channels.
delayed coverage full of adverts on a free network
and genuine live, no adverts on payTV.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 00:16 (Ref:2559333)   #10
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doesnt matter who gets the v8s,people will complain still.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 00:21 (Ref:2559335)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Umm, Seven... They paid outrageous money to get V8s - hence the V8s should be on Seven.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 00:28 (Ref:2559338)   #12
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If V8s went to Pay TV in a sole capacity, I would not suddenly fork out 60 bucks a month to watch it, I would simply not watch it. I have talked to alot of people who feel the same way, although a minority do want it to go to Pay TV as they pay for it already anyway.

From a sponsor point of view though, your audience is going to narrow dramatically, wouldn't be as attractive to sponsors I wouldn't have thought.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2559354)   #13
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
happy with 7 ATM.

Better the Devil you know?
Old 12 Oct 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2559367)   #14
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The telecast must never be allowed to go to 9...10 times worse than any other network...

Check out an NRL Game [ie Sunday] and see how they pad out a telecast with adds...and like 7 they pretend they are live when they aren't...

Plus do you want Tracey to do a hatchet job on one of your own commentators the night before Bathurst...[ala Mathew Johns & Ben Ikin]

As Gus Gould would say... no no no no no...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2559380)   #15
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None of the networks that have shown the v8s (10 and 7) actually make the program that goes to air, that is all done in house and will be the same no matter who wins the rights to broadcast it... Also as above, people will always b!tch and moan, it is the Aussie way
Old 12 Oct 2009, 02:29 (Ref:2559401)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As mentioned, these days V8TV do their own TV coverage, the network showing the races (in this case Channel 7) just buys the footage and presses play to air it. This will not change no matter what network is showing the racing, hence there will no real difference between networks.

Channel 9 would be no good, they have NRL games every Sunday for 30-odd weeks of the year.

I'd have no problem's with the championship returning to the ABC though, ad-free as mentioned!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 07:27 (Ref:2559518)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll vote for any channel which doesn't have football.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2559614)   #18
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for pay tv simply because you'd remove the ads, and murphy's law has it that most stuff seems to happen in the ads or just on the return...

It would probably only work if you could aslo get the telecast on FTA. But then that scenario wouldn't exist as both types of tv companies wouldn't pay the big bucks for tv rights as neither would be exclusive.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2559635)   #19
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
I voted for pay tv simply because you'd remove the ads,
Do you have Pay TV?
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2559672)   #20
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Yup.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2559676)   #21
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yup.
You obviously have Foxtel cos sure as hell Austar is overloaded with ads.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2559686)   #22
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Oh no there are ads. And that ****es me off.

But not on live sporting telecasts. You dont get any during the rugby league (minus the half time break), none in the cricket. Hyundai a league gets none, and from memory the gay-fl had none during the gameplay. A1GP didnt have any either.

Its a waste of time anyway. You cant have the v8's just on pay tv. that would be close to suicide. It needs to also be on fta.

Interesting that when i edited the ads out of yesterday's telecast, the average ad time was 3:45 per break. Some were longer. And a couple of times there was a 3:45 ad break, then 1 minute of coverage, then another 3:45 ad break. So over 7 minutes of ads in 9 minutes of tv was pushing it. But you also have to hand it to whoever dictated the coverage that the end of the race went ad free for a seriously long time.

The usual time for ads in the other championship rounds is around 2:45. They sometimes go longer, and often go shorter. This bathurst telecast didn't have any short ads and perhaps this is what put people off the telecast. I dont know if you'd blame 7 for this.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2559692)   #23
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
Quote:
Oh no there are ads. And that ****es me off.

But not on live sporting telecasts. You dont get any during the rugby league (minus the half time break), none in the cricket. Hyundai a league gets none, and from memory the gay-fl had none during the gameplay. A1GP didnt have any either.

Its a waste of time anyway. You cant have the v8's just on pay tv. that would be close to suicide. It needs to also be on fta.

Interesting that when i edited the ads out of yesterday's telecast, the average ad time was 3:45 per break. Some were longer. And a couple of times there was a 3:45 ad break, then 1 minute of coverage, then another 3:45 ad break. So over 7 minutes of ads in 9 minutes of tv was pushing it. But you also have to hand it to whoever dictated the coverage that the end of the race went ad free for a seriously long time.

The usual time for ads in the other championship rounds is around 2:45. They sometimes go longer, and often go shorter. This bathurst telecast didn't have any short ads and perhaps this is what put people off the telecast. I dont know if you'd blame 7 for this.
To be fair the bikes don't have ads either.

I just accept that on Free to Air that is the penalty you are going to pay. If they pay a huge amount for the rights someone has to pay.
If they don't sell the rights for a huge amount you are not going to get the extra cameras etc. Just a sh1t coverage.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2559701)   #24
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
I agree. Seven paid a lot of money for the rights. They have to get that back somehow. Which leads into an interesting theory... free to air is a very clever name for it. You still pay for the coverage, it just isnt as direct as pay tv.

The tv mob buy the rights. This costs. To offset it, they chuck in ads. The companies who advertise pay the tv mob. But this money doesn't come from thin air, the company selling their ad has to pay for the privelidge. So, they up their price on the product or service they are advertising. this is where good ol mr and mrs consumer come in. A portion of what we pay for the product or service goes to the marketing and advertising budget for the originating company.

I'm probably not being Robinson Caruso (now there is a nickname I havent heard mentioned..) in saying this. Just reminding people that this push to keep tv free is clever marketing in itself - as free to air tv aint (really) free.

I reckon the only way a Pay TV thing would work is something like the main event channel. You pay per view, so that you'd only see a round if you want it. A chunk of the money could go to 7 to alleviate any sponsor disenchantment seeing as less would see ads on seven. It would cost a bit, but I'd be prepared for a pay per view thing for bathurst (probably that only). Thats what I was thinking a lot about yesterday...

thats me done on this issue. Now focusing on the grid girls for the gold coast event...
Old 12 Oct 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2559719)   #25
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
What about the old system of if you have a TV installation (antenna), you have to pay a small tax. Then the tax will be given to the networks, meaning less ads.