Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

View Poll Results: Which NASCAR series, if any, will race at COTA?
Nationwide 2 15.38%
Truck 1 7.69%
K&N Pro 1 7.69%
None at all 9 69.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Jun 2012, 04:47 (Ref:3097571)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
NASCAR Circuit of the Americas

http://www.statesman.com/sports/nasc...f-1908506.html

I can see this happening for the Nationwide or Truck series, or maybe even the K&N Pro Series West. Since I'm just right next door to Austin, this would be a dream come true for me! What do you think about the opportunities here?
Old 28 Jun 2012, 17:06 (Ref:3099499)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Slightly off the topic but still waiting to see a race there before I can decide if I like the circuit.

And I don't think any will race there with races already in Fort Worth. I don't know, but I do know everything is hotter in Texas, to include the women.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3099507)   #3
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say that part of Texas sees better weather than the likes of Loudon come Chase time, if you get my drift.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3099656)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I don't think those sharp hairpins will make a good show with stock cars.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 00:22 (Ref:3099676)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Instag8or View Post
I say that part of Texas sees better weather than the likes of Loudon come Chase time, if you get my drift.
Plenty of other places do too. As discussed in other threads, I don't think they'll add a road course to the Cup schedule without taking one away; doesn't seem likely ATM. They also won't add a race in Texas without taking one away IMHO; that ain't happening on Bruton's watch.

Maybe a lower series race, eventually, but I don't see it in the next two years; could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Like the hairpin at Montreal? I'm not convinced that the track will be good for anything until I hear engine noises and judge for myself.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 29 Jun 2012 at 00:31.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 06:48 (Ref:3099722)   #6
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Depends on your opinion of "a good show", as Turn 11 at Sears Point provides lots of passing, blocking, and punting, which many NASCAR fans might consider "a good show", if of course TNT/FOX/ESPN knew "how" to show a race.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3099838)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Sears Point has much shorter straights than Austin.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3099864)   #8
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, and with those stock cars being heavyweight with little downforce to navigate sharp corner, it's gonna be a big pileup that the France family will blame Tilke for designing Austin as a "piece of crap".

Speaking of Austin, since when did V8 Supercars became a stock car series, hmm...
Old 30 Jun 2012, 23:29 (Ref:3100316)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I bet that stock cars run better at road courses with long straights and long, fast corners, like Watkins Glen and Road America. Argentine circuits are like that.
Old 2 Jul 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3100835)   #10
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would sure beat another uninspiring 1.5 Mile oval like the Craptucky Speedway.
Old 2 Jul 2012, 22:02 (Ref:3101085)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a quiet deal with Austin bosses and Bernie to snub the France clan. Personally, I'm unconvinced that Austin is the credible business proposition it seems on paper.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 07:15 (Ref:3101170)   #12
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a quiet deal with Austin bosses and Bernie to snub the France clan.
Ohh, so Mr. Bernie doesn't like NASCAR because they always turn left most of the time, not to mention those redneck fans!

Still, I think the France family should go to other markets, as well as going global instead of sticking it to North America.

And seriously, if V8 Supercars is branded as a stock car series, why not both of them stage a race together.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 03:14 (Ref:3102686)   #13
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Ohh, so Mr. Bernie doesn't like NASCAR because they always turn left most of the time, not to mention those redneck fans!

Still, I think the France family should go to other markets, as well as going global instead of sticking it to North America.

And seriously, if V8 Supercars is branded as a stock car series, why not both of them stage a race together.
I don't know what to say about "redneck fans". I'm a NASCAR fan, and I am not a redneck. It's like saying all blondes are dumb. Oh, well, yeah, they kind of are... Anyway...

But I do agree with the second part of your statement. Pull an IndyCar and go global and road race more often.

I brand V8 Supercars a stock car series. Only Holden and Ford... same cars... really?
Old 6 Jul 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3102881)   #14
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I don't know what to say about "redneck fans". I'm a NASCAR fan, and I am not a redneck. It's like saying all blondes are dumb. Oh, well, yeah, they kind of are... Anyway...

But I do agree with the second part of your statement. Pull an IndyCar and go global and road race more often.

I brand V8 Supercars a stock car series. Only Holden and Ford... same cars... really?
Yeah, even their CotF is becoming more like a silhouette car from the inside with no components from the road car version other than the engine.

Oh, and I'm sorry for hating the rednecks.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3102912)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Rednecks? Whether English Lord or Texan redneck, whether Sheikh or nomad, whether prince or pauper Bernie doesn't discriminate, he'll take their money just the same. They are all just paying punters to him.

NASCAR has the American heart in a way that F1 can only dream of. Now that's a problem that won't be lost on Eccelstone.
Old 7 Jul 2012, 17:12 (Ref:3103371)   #16
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Yeah, even their CotF is becoming more like a silhouette car from the inside with no components from the road car version other than the engine.

Oh, and I'm sorry for hating the rednecks.
Would you stop bringing a negative attitude to this thread, please?
Old 7 Jul 2012, 17:37 (Ref:3103378)   #17
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Would you stop bringing a negative attitude to this thread, please?
Okay, I will not gonna touch that sensitive issue.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3103972)   #18
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you need to do a bit more research
Old 10 Jul 2012, 06:22 (Ref:3104462)   #19
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City
NASCAR has the American heart in a way that F1 can only dream of.
Based on the NASCAR (not rants from non-NASCAR sites) articles I've read in recent years, it's more like "had the American heart". The articles indicted that viewership is still strong but declining amongst younger demographics. Older fans will die off in time, and fewer younger ones are going to be taking their places. Once the bulk of the older fans are gone, NASCAR will be a fading shadow of its former success.

Also, while figures are still strong, if one looks at say Daytona 500 viewership figures of the past thirty years versus the population of the US, as a percentage of the populace NASCAR viewership is quite a bit lower than in the past. For example, if a certain race has a typical viewership of 10 million now, 10 million viewers fifteen years from now is actually a decline if the population is 20% higher (or whatever increase).

In short, NASCAR doesn't have American hearts quite like it once did, and that is worse with every passing day.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 12:19 (Ref:3104595)   #20
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
I think you need to do a bit more research
Well, sorry about that...

But still, if they want to get more viewers, they should have at least six road courses with two staging it outside of the United States. Or, convince Mr. Toyoda to re-profile Fuji Speedway into an oval course where they could stage a race there.

Of course, I'm not gonna buy it when stock cars race at Austin. The fact that the cars are heavier might not cooperate when they tackle tighter turns.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3104677)   #21
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Well, sorry about that...

But still, if they want to get more viewers, they should have at least six road courses with two staging it outside of the United States. Or, convince Mr. Toyoda to re-profile Fuji Speedway into an oval course where they could stage a race there.

Of course, I'm not gonna buy it when stock cars race at Austin. The fact that the cars are heavier might not cooperate when they tackle tighter turns.
Like the hairpin at Montreal?
Old 10 Jul 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3104768)   #22
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
Based on the NASCAR (not rants from non-NASCAR sites) articles I've read in recent years, it's more like "had the American heart". The articles indicted that viewership is still strong but declining amongst younger demographics. Older fans will die off in time, and fewer younger ones are going to be taking their places. Once the bulk of the older fans are gone, NASCAR will be a fading shadow of its former success.

Also, while figures are still strong, if one looks at say Daytona 500 viewership figures of the past thirty years versus the population of the US, as a percentage of the populace NASCAR viewership is quite a bit lower than in the past. For example, if a certain race has a typical viewership of 10 million now, 10 million viewers fifteen years from now is actually a decline if the population is 20% higher (or whatever increase).

In short, NASCAR doesn't have American hearts quite like it once did, and that is worse with every passing day.
Well, yeah, when those banks fell, recession hit, NASCAR beat a hasty retreat looking alot less fashionable in the current climate for those reasons and others including the reasons you point out.

However for F1 to even take a small chip out of the NASCAR colossus, they'll need an American driver regularly winning in a Ferrari or some other leading team and even then.... These new American F1 events are all very good on paper but they are harder to make work in the act. Particularly as Bernie likes dispatching headache-inducing invoices with plenty of zeros.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3104800)   #23
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No. If Cup goes anywhere else it should be to Iowa, damnit.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3105372)   #24
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
No. If Cup goes anywhere else it should be to Iowa, damnit.
Uh... sayWUT?!
Old 16 Jul 2012, 04:50 (Ref:3106906)   #25
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
COTA just released their July update pics. They are looking absolutely gorgeous!