Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Sep 2019, 06:58 (Ref:3925339)   #76
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The right winner, class act Leclerc.

Albon was great value in his last stint! The move on Riccardo and the one on Checo!!
Old 2 Sep 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3925350)   #77
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Fans appear to have brought backpacks full of smoke bombs this weekend. Particularly the Dutch.

I am curious what the official stance is on those types of devices at the circuits? I believe here in the US they are banned at events like this by the organizers. Do they inspect what fans bring inside the gates at European events?

Richard
You mustn’t have watched much Moto GP in the last 20 years.The Rossi hoards have masses of it .In 2017 at Assen you could tell where he was on the track at some stages by the smoke.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3925359)   #78
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Fans appear to have brought backpacks full of smoke bombs this weekend. Particularly the Dutch.

I am curious what the official stance is on those types of devices at the circuits? I believe here in the US they are banned at events like this by the organizers. Do they inspect what fans bring inside the gates at European events?

Richard
I have been curious about that too. I occasionally use orange smoke canisters for emergency helicopter landing sites and they get seriously hot. Not the sort of thing you want in the middle of a tightly-packed and excitable crowd.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3925360)   #79
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They are Verstappen fans, why would you think they are excitable?
Old 2 Sep 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3925362)   #80
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
They are Verstappen fans, why would you think they are excitable?
I'll admit I didn't think "excitable" was an adjective I'd ever use about the Dutch.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3925363)   #81
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Richard
It's some years since I attended a major international event but at Le Mans this year we were checked for glass containers and they were removed to be destroyed. There were some very "relaxed" security guards later in the day.

So it does seem a bit strange that these smoke "bombs" are permitted.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 14:30 (Ref:3925410)   #82
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not sure why the Security is so lax at the races but surely smoke bombs should never be allowed in. What happens if that smoke drifts across the track and causes an accident, Surely they the security should step into the stands and stop this sort of thing before someone gets hurt.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3925418)   #83
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
On a different note, was this the weekend when Ferrari finally hammered the nail into Vettel's coffin? They started the season with Binotto stating that Vettel was the number one and team strategy would favour him. That's what happened in the early races and it cost Ferrari points. This time around they had clearly nailed their colours to the Leclerc mast. (Prediction: Vettel will retire at the end of this year.)

The comparison with McLaren in 2007 is interesting.

Ferrari have a highly rated 4x world champion who was designated No1 at the beginning of the year.
McLaren had a highly rated 2x world champion who believed he was No1 even though the team said nothing.

The Ferrari young pretender has generally outclassed his more senior teammate in qualifying and races.
The McLaren young pretender was a match or more-than a match for his more senior teammate on many occasions.

The Ferrari senior driver has made frequent mistakes while trying to keep up with his junior teammate and now seems to have conceded defeat.
The McLaren senior driver threw his teddies all around the garage and did his utmost to put down his junior teammate.

Just past halfway through the season the junior Ferrari driver has more poles, more race wins and nearly as many points as his senior teammate, despite the early season favouritism.
By the end of the season the two McLaren drivers finished on exactly equal points. Having taken points off each other throughout the year, this let another driver through to win the championship by one point.

Well, that's my take on it. Others may see it differently.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 23:34 (Ref:3925484)   #84
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are we sure the smoke is real and not some digital addition like the crowd noise and car sounds?

Im pretty sure i heard one of the cars make the jump to hyperspace.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 00:36 (Ref:3925492)   #85
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Not sure why the Security is so lax at the races but surely smoke bombs should never be allowed in. What happens if that smoke drifts across the track and causes an accident, Surely they the security should step into the stands and stop this sort of thing before someone gets hurt.
Beyond the potential to create direct problems with the track such as smoke blowing across the circuit from the stands, or even fans throwing devices onto the track (I am surprised that hasn't happened yet), I am surprised that incendiary devices of significant quantity are allowed into public events like this. Especially those that allow large and compact crowds. Regular "bombs" can easily be disguised as "smoke bombs".

I know my line of thinking can be thought of as being a killjoy, but Europe is not immune to bombings and terrorist acts. I would think that trying something at an event that is broadcast live across the world would be a significant target. And apparently one in which security is quite lax, or practices feel good "security theater" (casual or inconsistent gate inspections).

I don't want to derail this thread with what is in effect, off topic content. So I will try to make this my last comment on the topic.

Richard
Old 3 Sep 2019, 00:40 (Ref:3925493)   #86
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's blummin' annoying when you are nearby and it stops you seeing the track.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 02:39 (Ref:3925688)   #87
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So obviously the LH at/after Radillon wasn't a corner that they were bothering about enforcing all-wheels-off? Quite an enjoyable race.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 11:33 (Ref:3925761)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Do we know for certain that track limits were being imposed on that section (the left side)? Wouldn’t be first time there’s been an exemption. (Recent 24hrs, for instance.)
Old 4 Sep 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3925764)   #89
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Do we know for certain that track limits were being imposed on that section (the left side)? Wouldn’t be first time there’s been an exemption. (Recent 24hrs, for instance.)
A release indicated that it was going to be enforced.

Masi: 'A laptime achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track and cutting behind the apex of Turn 4, as judged by the detection loop in this location, will be invalidated by the stewards. On the third occasion of a driver cutting behind the apex of Turn 4 during the race, he will be shown a black and white flag, any further cutting will then be reported to the stewards. Each time any car cuts behind the apex, teams will be informed via the official messaging system.'
Old 4 Sep 2019, 11:53 (Ref:3925768)   #90
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
A release indicated that it was going to be enforced.

Masi: 'A laptime achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track and cutting behind the apex of Turn 4, as judged by the detection loop in this location, will be invalidated by the stewards. On the third occasion of a driver cutting behind the apex of Turn 4 during the race, he will be shown a black and white flag, any further cutting will then be reported to the stewards. Each time any car cuts behind the apex, teams will be informed via the official messaging system.'
Thanks, so no action for first and second transgressions, and warning flag after third. I’m not that bothered that I’m going to watch replays to see if any driver got warned.......
Old 4 Sep 2019, 12:14 (Ref:3925773)   #91
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks, so no action for first and second transgressions, and warning flag after third.
Yes - it seems that the main concern was about lap times being set during Q, rather than gaining an advantage during the race.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 12:25 (Ref:3925778)   #92
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yup, it’s the same at club level nowadays. Main concern is qualifying time, or consistently cutting a corner (or corners) during the race. Again, usually a warning before penalty applied!
Old 4 Sep 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3925833)   #93
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So glad Leclerc finally got his first win. Apart from that brief trip across the runoff, he was faultless and I understand how hard it was to get that maiden win after his friend Hubert’s death less than 24 hours before. It’s a credit to everyone that they managed to race in difficult circumstances

Albon, let’s see how he goes when he qualifies at the front, he was impressive. Shame Max and Kimi had that coming together though. Gasly actually looked better in that STR than he did at RBR

Shame for Norris to lose what would have been his best result on the last lap and what a shame Giovinazzi made that mistake on the last lap after that impressive drive
Old 6 Sep 2019, 12:00 (Ref:3926189)   #94
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Thanks, so no action for first and second transgressions, and warning flag after third. I’m not that bothered that I’m going to watch replays to see if any driver got warned.......
As it transpires, one driver did receive a black/white flag for exceeding track limits repeatedly - Pierre Gasly.

Black and White Flag to be used more.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3926204)   #95
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
As it transpires, one driver did receive a black/white flag for exceeding track limits repeatedly - Pierre Gasly.

Black and White Flag to be used more.
Thanks. I am surprised it’s not been used for several seasons. Certainly has at lower levels! Not acknowledged by every driver, of course......
Old 6 Sep 2019, 17:44 (Ref:3926242)   #96
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So it’s now going to be an official yellow card according to Masi
Old 7 Sep 2019, 01:01 (Ref:3926286)   #97
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Thanks. I am surprised it’s not been used for several seasons. Certainly has at lower levels! Not acknowledged by every driver, of course......
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Makes sense given his background with Supercars where it's been used for some years now quite effectively. Better to give drivers a warning on some things when it's getting close to "the edge" and managing the situation rather than penalising or addressing with drivers at the next race.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 06:54 (Ref:3926307)   #98
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It's a bit disappointing that they have chosen to refer to the flag as a 'yellow card'.

It's a black and white flag, which indicates a warning. No need to refer to it as a different colour (officially or otherwise).

True fans and casual fans alike will know what it means, without having to refer to a feature of other sports. It's been in existence for quite a while now, just not used very much.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3926329)   #99
S griffin
Veteran

No one else has a problem with referring to it as a yellow card though
Old 7 Sep 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3926335)   #100
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
No one else has a problem with referring to it as a yellow card though
That's fine - each to their own. Can you be certain though that no one else has a problem, or just that you are not aware of anyone?

I'm just of the mindset that, historically there has been no need to refer to it as a yellow card so why start doing so now?