Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3777483)   #51
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
I’m genuinely interested, in your opinion what have Kelly Holmes, Mo Farah, Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins, Jessica Ennis, Tony McCoy, Malcolm campbell, Seagrave, Patrick Head, Matthew Pinsent, Grainger, Andy Murray and Ben Ainsle done out of the sporting field that has contributed to the world so they are worthy of a Knighthood?
That is a very good question. Have any of the above been involved in charity work? It's not uncommon for sports men and women to use their status to promote charitable causes, something that could be rewarded with an honour.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3777484)   #52
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That is a very good question. Have any of the above been involved in charity work? It's not uncommon for sports men and women to use their status to promote charitable causes, something that could be rewarded with an honour.
Not sure but I do know Lewis is involved with Unicef, Great ormand Street, Children of Africa and another I can’t remember...also does a lot with kids at karting centres in the past...oh and auctions himself off at the Dicaprio Auction the last few years
Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3777491)   #53
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I think those knighted should have made some exception contribution to the world. What's Hamilton really done?
http://www.lewishamilton.com/category/giving-back/
Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3777492)   #54
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kelly Holmes - founded the Dame Kelly Holmes trust
Mo Farah - Mo Farah Foundation, donates a huge amount to charity
Chris Hoy - UNICEF Ambassador
Bradley Wiggins - couldn't find anything on a very short Google
Jessica Ennis - Sporting and Hospital charities
Tony McCoy - couldn't find anything
Malcolm Campbell - couldn't find anything, but he died half a century ago, and isn't relevant

I stopped at this point as I think it gets the point across. Most generally have been involved in charity work. But it isn't a prerequisite. Lewis does do quite a bit though. Let's not pretend that just because he has silly glasses and goes all emo every-so-often that he doesn't.

Patrick Head is a little different, as engineering and science Knighthoods tend to be more about services to the STEM industry. We have a shortage of STEM qualified people in the British population, so things like Head and Dyson are Knighted, not because the product they make is life changing (we'd all still be fine without a Dyson vacuum cleaner), but because they inspire others to take up studying and careers in important, but understaffed industries.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3777493)   #55
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do people really care this much about a title that doesn't really mean anything anymore since the end of the empire?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3777494)   #56
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Do people really care this much about a title that doesn't really mean anything anymore since the end of the empire?
How dare people like a bit fun and tradition in their lives.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3777495)   #57
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's fun about it, though?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:50 (Ref:3777497)   #58
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Come on. Why would it not be fun? A lot of people really enjoy the Royal Family stuff. A lot of people enjoy it, and like seeing their sporting idols recognised. People turn out in their thousands to see the Royals.

Just because you don't find it fun, it doesn't mean others don't. Personally I find football (the European version, not the American version) a pretty disgusting sport overall, and cannot find even the slightest bit of pleasure from it. I'm not going to ask why people take pleasure from watching hooligans shepherd a bag of leather into an outdoor cupboard though. They enjoy it, I'm not going to post asking for clarification on why.

If it's as meaningless as people say, what's the problem with Lewis getting it?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3777498)   #59
ASCII Man
Veteran

I asked a question, don't act like I just insulted your mother.
That kind of stuff just seems bizarre to me.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3777499)   #60
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Come on. Why would it not be fun? A lot of people really enjoy the Royal Family stuff. A lot of people enjoy it, and like seeing their sporting idols recognised. People turn out in their thousands to see the Royals.

Just because you don't find it fun, it doesn't mean others don't. Personally I find football (the European version, not the American version) a pretty disgusting sport overall, and cannot find even the slightest bit of pleasure from it. I'm not going to ask why people take pleasure from watching hooligans shepherd a bag of leather into an outdoor cupboard though. They enjoy it, I'm not going to post asking for clarification on why.

If it's as meaningless as people say, what's the problem with Lewis getting it?
I have similar feelings about football, but must say that your description of the game is now my favourite!
Old 30 Oct 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3777501)   #61
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I don't think I did act you like insulted my mother. But what kind of responses were you looking for?

You asked if people cared (evidently they do, as the tradition continues, and we're 4 pages into this thread here). When it was said, yes, people like fun and tradition, you asked what's fun about it. How can anyone answer that question, in any context? Fun is different to different people. Tradition to a lot of people is fun. You could argue it's a form of patriotism, and a link to history, etc.

The football example may have seemed harsh, but it's a good way of getting the point across here. It's probably the most popular sport in the world, and I don't like it. Some people love the royal family stuff. It's not my cup of tea, but it's harmless fun. And if it brings joy to peoples lives, then who am I to question that?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 14:30 (Ref:3777505)   #62
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Kelly Holmes - founded the Dame Kelly Holmes trust
Mo Farah - Mo Farah Foundation, donates a huge amount to charity
Chris Hoy - UNICEF Ambassador
Bradley Wiggins - couldn't find anything on a very short Google
Jessica Ennis - Sporting and Hospital charities
Tony McCoy - couldn't find anything
Malcolm Campbell - couldn't find anything, but he died half a century ago, and isn't relevant

I stopped at this point as I think it gets the point across. Most generally have been involved in charity work. But it isn't a prerequisite. Lewis does do quite a bit though. Let's not pretend that just because he has silly glasses and goes all emo every-so-often that he doesn't.
Thanks you've proven my point.

So Lewis has achieved a massive amount, has given a large amount back, similar to the others above..but some still feel he isn't worthy of a knighthood. Not sure what else he needs to do tbh!

And I'm not saying by doing these things he has an automatic right, but Lewis certainly doesn't fall short of others that have received the highest honour
Old 30 Oct 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3777506)   #63
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
What's fun about it, though?
It doesn't have to be fun, is still an important part of British Culture, and while it has been questioned whether Hamilton deserves - it is possible worth a look at what The Honours System is for...

'The honours system recognises people who have: made achievements in public life [...] They’ll usually have made life better for other people or be outstanding at what they do. [...] The person must still be actively involved in what you’re nominating them for. [...] Honours are given to people involved in fields including: [...] sport'

Nowhere in the nomination requirements does it say that someone must be making life better for others, or involved in social/charitable work. (Although it can help)

From the list previously, the reason given for their highest honours are:
Kelly Holmes - DBE for 'Services to Athletics'
Mo Farah - Knight Bachelor for 'Services to Athletics'
Chris Hoy - Knight Bachelor for 'Services to Sport'
Bradley Wiggins - Knight Bachelor for 'Services to Cycling'
Jessica Ennis-Hill - DBE for 'Services to Athletics'
Tony McCoy - Knight Bachelor for 'Services to Horse Racing'
Malcolm Campbell - Knighthood for 'Distinguished Achievements'

Given Hamilton's achievements, he clearly meets the requirements, regardless of whether he does charitable work or not.

When 11 of the 12 players from the Ashes series were awarded MBE's in 2005. When the entire 2003 Rugby World Cup Squad were awarded to or promoted within the order (including a knighthood) - did they all have to prove their charitable or off-field credentials?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3777508)   #64
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Thanks you've proven my point.

So Lewis has achieved a massive amount, has given a large amount back, similar to the others above..but some still feel he isn't worthy of a knighthood. Not sure what else he needs to do tbh!

And I'm not saying by doing these things he has an automatic right, but Lewis certainly doesn't fall short of others that have received the highest honour
I can't say I disagree with that.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 15:01 (Ref:3777511)   #65
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He is out standing in his field.

That should be enough?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3777513)   #66
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
does residency play a part in this? or rather residency status outside of a commonwealth nation?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 15:06 (Ref:3777514)   #67
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
does residency play a part in this? or rather residency status outside of a commonwealth nation?
It can be applied for those living anywhere.

https://www.gov.uk/honours/nominate-abroad

You can nominate someone for an honour if they live or work abroad and they’ve made achievements in either:

the UK and their achievement has a significant international element to it
another country
Old 30 Oct 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3777515)   #68
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
And I wish that he would stay there!
Old 30 Oct 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3777516)   #69
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Some people love the royal family stuff. It's not my cup of tea, but it's harmless fun. And if it brings joy to peoples lives, then who am I to question that?
Besides which they are responsible for billions of pounds of business/exports for the UK. Her Maj, in particular, is one of the UK's best ambassadors for trade that we have.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 15:23 (Ref:3777519)   #70
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
To be fair to ASCII Man, he wasn't asking if they are financially worth having, just if the title is something people care about. The debate about whether they are worth having isn't really for this thread as it'd take over drastically. I'm taking the 'harmless fun' stance, as as soon as you do a little search for what the Royals bring to the economy, the numbers swing wildly to a positive of £1bn, to a negative of £300m, depending on what flavour of spin you like with your morning coffee. It seems impossible to unpick it as the amount of bias involved makes the Riccardo v Verstappen thread look fair and balanced. So I'll stick with 'harmless fun'.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3777524)   #71
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It can be applied for those living anywhere.

https://www.gov.uk/honours/nominate-abroad

You can nominate someone for an honour if they live or work abroad and they’ve made achievements in either:

the UK and their achievement has a significant international element to it
another country
thanks for the response.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3777525)   #72
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

That should be enough?
Why aren't farmers getting knighthoods then!?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3777527)   #73
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Why aren't farmers getting knighthoods then!?
Because they're not outstanding - the scarecrows are out standing in their fields.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3777529)   #74
ASCII Man
Veteran

Hm, Sir Scarecrow. I like that.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 16:28 (Ref:3777535)   #75
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knighthood for being one of three drivers lucky enough to race the most dominant car in F1 history? Seems fair enough.
Closed Thread