Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 14 Aug 2002, 09:55 (Ref:357533)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Roll cages

any advice please . . . . .

I was going to buy a 6 point bolt in cage for the car Im building, with door bars. as the car is for track only Im now thinking it would be better to weld it in (stiffen the shell) and possibly add a few extra diagonal braces.

given that my budget is, to say the least, small, I figured I could buy a prepared part built weld in cage and fit it my self with a few extras for the same cost as a bolt in affair. (quoted £400 by Safetey devices)

am I mad taking this challenge on? should I stick to a bolt in?

the car is a MK1 Cortina GT for historc saloon racing
Old 16 Aug 2002, 06:17 (Ref:358848)   #2
boyracer
Racer

boyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm... interesting question. Firstly weld in cage is better for safety than bolt in, but still bolt in is quite safe. Also would depend on local regulations. In australia CAMs will allow weld in cages that follow the layout of bolt in cages, however FIA rules state that any weld in cage needs to be homologated (approx $500 in oz) a point that needs to be considered. Haven't had much experience with historics but will rules allow a weld in cage ? (is non original part of car after all).
Other thing is , how well can you weld ? In oz don't think any qualification needed, but still scruitineer inspects car before each race and can fail it if they believe welds are not up to scratch.
Could maybe tack it into positon and have a professional fully weld it afterwards. Most of the cost in a custom rollcage is the time to cut and notch all the tubes correctly, an option at least.
Can't vouch for the safety devices cage but have heard of others of similar type that just about fall into the car they are that easy to put together.
Hope this has helped you out.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:24 (Ref:361224)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
its looking more and more like a bolt in cage to start with . . . .go with the flow so to spaeak . . .at least until I've got a bit more experience and knowledge, I can always weld it in after if I want.

thanks boy racer . . . I think you've pretty much backed up my thoughts and findings ao far.