Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 9 Sep 2006, 02:02 (Ref:1705625)   #26
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did you see the South Africa one? To be honest I think they need a new livery, last year's one was a bit of a mess.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1709152)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/54246

Actually, it's not as bad as I first thought. From the side it'll be nice. But a direct frontal shot and we may as well be looking at Team China.

I loved last years livery, it stood out.
Old 7 May 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2195878)   #28
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So.... "Powered By Ferrari" on all the merchandise..... I won't be buying a hat!
Old 7 May 2008, 10:51 (Ref:2195897)   #29
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A2 Brutus?

I can't think of the circuits particularly but do recall seeing several A1GP races where the cars lacked power. Dunno about 200 hp more, but they do need a lift IMO.

Last edited by Last2LiftOff; 7 May 2008 at 10:59.
Old 7 May 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2195901)   #30
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually I think the power boost will make it interesting, they could have done with SOMETHING for Brands last weekend. Must admit it was lacklustre, I would have thought that a lot of teams would have just been "going for it" as they don't need the cars again......
Old 7 May 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2195902)   #31
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah Magnet, in a few spots around Brands.
Old 7 May 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2196100)   #32
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
Actually I think the power boost will make it interesting, they could have done with SOMETHING for Brands last weekend. Must admit it was lacklustre, I would have thought that a lot of teams would have just been "going for it" as they don't need the cars again......
IMO there was nothing lacklustre to it!

If you call both Adam Carroll and Phillipe Alberquerk (Sorry cant Spell) going into and around Hawthorn Side by Side then I think you may have been in the wrong spot.
Old 7 May 2008, 14:46 (Ref:2196104)   #33
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
actually being there, and standing at Surtees, seeing the cars on the TV literally look like they're trundling towards the corner and then to actually 'see' the car live infront of me, it is surprising just how much the TV coverage at times doesn't give much of an impression of the cars real speed.

Trust me, they're plenty fast enough to make it interesting and sufficiently ineffective aero-wise to make overtaking half-possible.

Standing at the top of Druids and watching the cars power up from Paddock is mighty impressive too, as is the exhaust note.

I hope they've learnt what works about A1, and don't bin that in pursuit of producing a car that laps 5 seconds a lap quicker...i'm sure they won't...
Old 7 May 2008, 14:54 (Ref:2196111)   #34
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
IMO there was nothing lacklustre to it!
I should have added "compared to the previous 2 years"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
If you call both Adam Carroll and Phillipe Alberquerk (Sorry cant Spell) going into and around Hawthorn Side by Side then I think you may have been in the wrong spot.
And after Adam Carroll had to go in for a new front wing the whole feature race just got considerably less interesting.
Old 7 May 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2196135)   #35
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider
actually being there, and standing at Surtees, seeing the cars on the TV literally look like they're trundling towards the corner and then to actually 'see' the car live infront of me, it is surprising just how much the TV coverage at times doesn't give much of an impression of the cars real speed.

Trust me, they're plenty fast enough to make it interesting and sufficiently ineffective aero-wise to make overtaking half-possible.

Standing at the top of Druids and watching the cars power up from Paddock is mighty impressive too, as is the exhaust note.

I hope they've learnt what works about A1, and don't bin that in pursuit of producing a car that laps 5 seconds a lap quicker...i'm sure they won't...

Agree wholeheartedly.

I think they may have realized that they need afew more low down cameras which do tend to recreate the "Speed" That is easier to do at Brands as you in some places do not have 300yds of gravel.

IMO with the more and more over the top safety measures this even affects TV coverage as low down close camera spots just can't be in place and the resulting high up zoomed shots can make the cars "Look Pedestrian"

This year they got it "Spot On" for the camera at Westfield which gave some great shots of the cars oversteering on the exit over the "Bump".

Last edited by Paddockman; 7 May 2008 at 15:21.
Old 7 May 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2196141)   #36
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any concrete ideas on what the cars for next year could be? There are more than a few DP-01s running around after Champcar folded, I know turbo V8 but they might be able to squeeze a Ferrari or something else in it. Fairly clean cars with underbody aero supposedly for better overtaking chances and a fairly advanced chassis (at least from what the OW guys here have been claiming)
Old 7 May 2008, 15:58 (Ref:2196167)   #37
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
Any concrete ideas on what the cars for next year could be? There are more than a few DP-01s running around after Champcar folded, I know turbo V8 but they might be able to squeeze a Ferrari or something else in it. Fairly clean cars with underbody aero supposedly for better overtaking chances and a fairly advanced chassis (at least from what the OW guys here have been claiming)
I think it's all new/similar to the old one with ideas nicked from Ferrari F1 machinery.
Old 8 May 2008, 21:01 (Ref:2197184)   #38
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In an article on autosport http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67209 Panis says he's thinking of testing for Team France.

More importantly for this thread, he adds that he thinks the new car is 8 or 9 seconds quicker than the current one.

That can't be that far off F1 pace? Based on the qualification times from Sepang, that would put them about 2-3 seconds off F1 pole times.

Incidentally, whilst looking that stat up, Wikipedia claims that the pole position time for A1's race in Shanghai was faster than F1's. Was the track used the same?
Old 8 May 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2197197)   #39
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, A1GP uses a shorter version of that track.
Old 8 May 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2197219)   #40
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new car from what all the rummors have hear about, i think should be in Champcar DP-01 performance territory

the DP-01 was around 6 to 7 seconds quicker than the faster euroboss car at Zolder last year, just for take a reference...
Old 12 May 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2199855)   #41
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've just put a pic of the new car up on the homepage of our site along with more info. It will test this week in England
Old 12 May 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2199872)   #42
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAD drawing (907 kb):

http://www.newspress.co.uk/LINKS/120...120508a1gp.jpg
Old 12 May 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2199890)   #43
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I've just put a pic of the new car up on the homepage of our site along with more info. It will test this week in England
Can we have a link please?
Old 12 May 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2199923)   #44
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
www.racecar-engineering.com
Old 12 May 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2200001)   #45
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bye Bye A1

I knew they were basing it off the F2004 but i'd hoped they'd make it unique enough to be exciting. They haven't. It looks just like a pigging GP2 car. I still don't see what's wrong with the current chassis, other than Ferrari didn't design it...

Now it's just like every other flipping single seater :/
Old 12 May 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2200018)   #46
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Doesn't have to look unique as long as there's interesting racing.
Old 12 May 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2200044)   #47
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it's just a CAD image, but i was expecting to see some 'A1' elements to the car, and I'm quite surprised it is just a F2004 on the face of it.

Having said that, if it provides good, competitive racing, i won't care and let's be honest, it's a good looking car...now, will Team Italy be bold and run the Ferrari all in red!?
Old 12 May 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2200091)   #48
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Don't think A1 will let them
Old 12 May 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2200155)   #49
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider
I know it's just a CAD image, but i was expecting to see some 'A1' elements to the car, and I'm quite surprised it is just a F2004 on the face of it.

Having said that, if it provides good, competitive racing, i won't care and let's be honest, it's a good looking car...now, will Team Italy be bold and run the Ferrari all in red!?
I´m agreed with you, i think all i can say is that the car has the Ferrari DNA all over, no question about, very nice looks, not as "unusual" a the Lola and for sure it should go as hell...

I know some critics will say is a smaller 2004 Ferrari F1...think this way...for people like me a fan of champcar for many years, after lose the great DP-01 this car is heaven in all ways compared to the Indycar crapwagon sleds...

This car indeed is a great step forward for the series, well done A1GP...cannot wait to see it go around the Autodromo with sweet Ferrari music...

Last edited by Net-Ranger; 12 May 2008 at 14:04.
Old 12 May 2008, 15:34 (Ref:2200235)   #50
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey, that's everything that's wrong with single seaters. Defaced by winglets and bargeboards. UGLY.

And of course it'll be quite out of step with where F1 is next year - so it'll look even more old-fashioned.

The Lola was at least distinctive-looking - it didn't have to be cutting-edge so could afford to look different. This is just identikit early-2000s F1.

But did any of us expect any different after they said it'd be based on the F1-2004?

As an aside I'd love to see that gorgeous DP-01 revived and used somewhere else, because I thought it was one of the best-looking single seaters of recent years. I hold out hopes that the next-generation IRL rules (with slightly more emphasis on street and road circuits) will favour something like DP-01 rather than the rather chunky and ungainly oval-oriented bruisers they have now.

(Mmmm. Judd KVs in DP-01s as a 'British Formula Two'? Never happen, but wouldn't it be fantastic - that'd clear the earwax and wake you up in meetings, unlike F3! )