Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Mar 2005, 00:00 (Ref:1260296)   #26
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantom

I don't think installing bridges are that big a deal. Most airports have stairtrucks and other equipment for exactly that purpose. Besides, tracks look better with a bridge or two.
The problem with having the pits on the inside is that then there could be stands set up which would block the view of most of the race track. Or with out stands the transporters would do the same thing.

The long straight would probably to fast for the cars to run safely. Isn't that why they put in the Festival turn in Portland many years ago. And yes I hear they are removing it. The first Vancouver layout had a chicane put in on the back stretch to slow the cars down.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1260334)   #27
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Removing the festival turns at Portland? Why? I actually enjoyed it as it always made for a very eventful turn 1, and was a good passing opportunity. There's not much else at for passing zones at Portland.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 03:26 (Ref:1260361)   #28
Mantom
Rookie

United States
Mantom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonBoy
The problem with having the pits on the inside is that then there could be stands set up which would block the view of most of the race track. Or with out stands the transporters would do the same thing.
Just because you put pits on the inside doesn't mean you have to put stands there too.

Leaving the grandstands on the outside would give the fans a better view of the frontstraight where all the action occurs, PLUS, they get a clean line of sight to the pits to get a better feel for the action. If I were attending, I'd rather be closer to the front straight than the pits. Pits only see action a few laps per race.

Under the current configuration, fans will have to squint to see the cars on the front stretch. The fuel tanks and other gear will block fans' view of the pit action too. Gee, good value for the money.

Quote:
The long straight would probably to fast for the cars to run safely. Isn't that why they put in the Festival turn in Portland many years ago. And yes I hear they are removing it. The first Vancouver layout had a chicane put in on the back stretch to slow the cars down.
An extended straight wouldn't be any longer than at Long Beach or the other tracks that feature a long front straight. Also remember this is an airport with lots of runoff space.

Last edited by macdaddy; 24 Mar 2005 at 04:33.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1260923)   #29
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonBoy
The long straight would probably to fast for the cars to run safely. Isn't that why they put in the Festival turn in Portland many years ago. And yes I hear they are removing it.
Where did you here Portland was removing the chicane? I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. Some racing series don't use the chicane(you can just go straight) to save on brakes and tire wear. Champcar has talked about not using the chicane just for the first lap before to avoid accidents, but they've never done that, and probably never will. It would be too confusing.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1261158)   #30
Mantom
Rookie

United States
Mantom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjspierx
Where did you here Portland was removing the chicane? I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. Some racing series don't use the chicane(you can just go straight) to save on brakes and tire wear. Champcar has talked about not using the chicane just for the first lap before to avoid accidents, but they've never done that, and probably never will. It would be too confusing.

I just saw a few days ago that Portland is indeed removing the chicances on the front straight. I forgot where I saw it, but Dick Eidswick and Joe Chernlich were both quoted in the article saying it was part of the funded improvements for PIR per the 3-year agreement.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1261179)   #31
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you could find me a link or something, I'd be curious to see it. PIR has a lot of planned of improvements, but nowhere have heard they are removing the chicane. It doesn't make since why they would remove it. The chicane was added as a track improvement, so removing it would not make much since. Especially since the cars don't HAVE to use the chicane, they can just go straight through. Several racing series, and all the motorcylces that race there(I think) simply don't use the chicane. If Champcar didn't want to use the chicane, they could simply not use it, it doesn't make sense to remove it.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1261183)   #32
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the confusion is coming from a line in the article that said "The paving of the Festival Curves..."

They ARE NOT removing the 'festival curves' from the front straight of Portland. What has been changed, is the run-off around the corner. They have removed the deep sandtraps from the inside of the corner,, and replaced it with a paved runoff with Monza style speedbumps (aka undertray wreckers).

From my understanding, the corner is now going to look something like the first chicane at Monza.

Edit: Here is the link: http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...5377135583.xml

Last edited by StickShift; 24 Mar 2005 at 23:38.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 23:35 (Ref:1261184)   #33
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
I think thats a fantastic idea myself. So many caution flags are going to be avoided this way from cars spinning or sliding into the gravel and having to be pulled out. Now they can just drive away allow us to watch more RACING and less pace laps.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 04:04 (Ref:1262079)   #34
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Having the paved run-off helps in some respects, but when you have that first lap shunt, it won't matter. You don't stay green with debris scattered in the chicane. Imagine having someone getting a punctiure on lap 2 in the braking zone, spinning, and taking out half a dozen other cars with him. They have had chronic first lap problems at Portland, and I don't know that there has been a contact-free first lap for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza since 1971 ('71 was the last year without the chicanes at Monza).

If they don't run the chicane at Portland, they braking for "Turn 1" would be more significant, and would provide greater scope for passing. Remember, Sebring, Mosport, and Road America have fast first turns, and it is quite possible to pass at all three.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 05:00 (Ref:1262104)   #35
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I can only remember one or two incident-free years with T1 in Cleveland too!
It makes the start all that much more exciting!

(Granted that you've got to be careful with 18 cars, as opposed to 28)

"Portland" wouldn't be "Portland" without that chicane, IMO.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 01:38 (Ref:1272168)   #36
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(sorry for going off-topic again)

in regards to the Portland Festival Corners, I found these pictures floating around the forum:

http://img168.exs.cx/img168/5007/im0020116iw.jpg
http://img168.exs.cx/img168/3898/im0020034pt.jpg

Looks like they haven't done the curbing or 'speed bumps' yet.
Old 7 Apr 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1272346)   #37
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like they will put some color to it, which is nice (as opposed to the "Tilkelized" trend these days with massive non-painted asphalt run-offs make the tracks look like lifeless asphalt jungles).

One tiny problem with removing the gravel trap is that there now is nothing to stop an out-of-control car (due to brake-loss, hung throttle or whatever) from sliding through it. Obviously - and thankfully - this doesn't happen very often (I can only think of a few such incidents at Monza), but it's a risk nontheless.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 02:33 (Ref:1272962)   #38
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Unfortunately, there have been at least two fatalities at Monza as a result of crashes in the various chicanes. Ronnie Peterson (Lotus teammmate to Mario Andretti) was involved in the first turn shunt in 1978 and died of complications from his injuries. A track marshall was felled by flying debris during a first lap mishap at the second chicane in 2000. That accident in 2000 also saw Pedro de las Rosa's Arrows land on top of Rubens Barrichello's Ferrari.

In 1998 or so, didin't Greg Moore get somewhat airborne off the curbing at the Festivals Curves on lap 1?
Old 8 Apr 2005, 06:05 (Ref:1273017)   #39
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I can agree that the second chicane (which had been rebuilt and made tighter for that year) is partly to blame for the accident in 2000 which claimed the life of firefighter Paolo Ghislimberti, I disagree about Ronnie Peterson considering that crash started well before they even reached the chicane.

The two biggest unfortunate factors when it comes to the 1978 Monza race are that the starter didn't wait for the the whole grid to get in position before starting the race, which allowed the cars in the back to get a jump which in turn bunched up the field (which eventually lead to the crash), as well as the fact that Peterson was driving the year-old Lotus 78 which had a weaker front-end protection and more exposed fuel tanks as opposed to his primary car, the Lotus 79, which had been damaged beyond repair in a practice accident.

That the whole accident scene was chaotic, with tons of people getting in the way of the rescue effort, obviously didn't make things any better.
Old 8 Apr 2005, 06:39 (Ref:1273035)   #40
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
We're getting pretty off-topic now.

Any thoughts on the Edmonton circuit?
Old 8 Apr 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1273717)   #41
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it. Hopefully I can experience it first hand.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 23:00 (Ref:1275137)   #42
billkirbywofb
Rookie

billkirbywofb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One reason that the pits are where they are is that with out any obstructions in the infield (except the big screen, jumbotron TVs) you can see the whole track from the main grandstands and grandstands between turn 2 and 9. If the pits were on the inside of the track, the view of the track would be blocked by the relocated grandstands, transporters and hospitality tents. Remember, one advantage of an airport track is being able to see all the action on the track with out buildings, trees and hills blocking your view.