Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Dec 2006, 02:56 (Ref:1801602)   #251
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At last check Lola would build a new Lola champcar for $650,000.

For what you get from Panoz compared to the cost of other cars I think it is very reasonable.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1801790)   #252
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Keep in mind....

Dispute the content of the post, and do not attack the poster....

I don't want to have to warn people or sanction anyone on this....

Keep it clean and above board in your responses...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Dec 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1801800)   #253
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Any idea, mountainstar, what is included in the Lola roller vs the Panoz?

Historically, Lola has always been pricey. I remember back in the day their sports racers were always more expensive than the competition - not that they were bad cars - Carl Haas has been involved for so long I wonder how much of the "cost" was his markup as importer.

The Panoz is a direct sale with no middle man, correct?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1801819)   #254
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, true that Haas' markup on chassis and parts made team accountants wince for years.

But I don't think it's a direct sale for the DP-01 to teams from Panoz. It seems it goes through CC and some have mentioned that CC has a leasing deal in place for 'em. I doubt that CC is going to make much of a profit off of them, if any, but it seems very likely that CC had to guarantee Panoz "X" number of car sales itself in order for Panoz to take on the project.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1801830)   #255
NoGuts-NoGlory
Rookie

Canada
Canada
NoGuts-NoGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
John, true that Haas' markup on chassis and parts made team accountants wince for years.

...but it seems very likely that CC had to guarantee Panoz "X" number of car sales itself in order for Panoz to take on the project.
This is poppycock and nothing more than hapless negative conjecture on your part indycool. There would have been no minimum car order guarantee on the part of CC to land the deal at all. Getting the CC contract was a huge windfall for Panoz/ Elan Motorsports period and there were other Firms that would have loved to have secured the CC contract. Non the least of which was Lola! The number of cars needed to run a racing series is self evident to anyone in the business, but like the automotive industry in general, the real money and profits are generated over the long term through exclusive supply of parts necessary to sustain a racing series. Not the initial order # for rolling cars ordered.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1801853)   #256
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is not so negative in my opinion. Do you think that Panoz and Lola would have been as eager to completely resdesign a chasis if they were not going to be the sole provider? So it is a guarntee in a way in my opinion. On the note of delivering the 35 other chasis, I remain optomisitc although Panoz was late on the first order of ten deliverred. Remember they were tentatively schedule for end of November. Happy New Year
Old 30 Dec 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1801902)   #257
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, it definitely is not poppycock that Haas added a considerable markup on the Lola parts - he always has. One of the initial concerns when this was put out to bid so to speak was that Haas would get mad and go away if he could not be "sole supplier" as he was for the old chassis. That markup paid for a lot of cigars!

I can't speak specifically to the Panoz deal but I do know that when you are asking someone to construct something as a special order, you have to guarantee them a minimum purchase. Yes, this is a good opportunity for Panoz, but they also would want to be able to recoup their fixed costs in tooling for the chassis/tub, suspension bits, body work etc. Very little of the car is going to be "off the shelf" or have any use anywhere else.

Speculating that this is the case is not being negative at all - it is just sound business. If I were a potential supplier I would want to be sure I was going to at least break even.

Don't forget, all discussion of the long term viability of the series aside, CC could decide to add suppliers or even change the car dramatically in the relative near term. There is no guarantee that Panoz will be the sole supplier in perpetuity.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 22:48 (Ref:1801981)   #258
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's "negative" about it? "Negative" for who?

The Panoz guy's quote before the cars were delivered said "subject to payment." Do you think that each team brought a check to the truck driver? They were delivered to CC HQ. CC awarded the deal and commissioned the cars solely to Panoz.

Just a business deal.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1802228)   #259
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinthestreets
On the note of delivering the 35 other chasis, I remain optomisitc although Panoz was late on the first order of ten deliverred. Remember they were tentatively schedule for end of November. Happy New Year
I would have been surprised if they were early. Anytime you start production of a new product you have to expect production issues. Especially when it is something as complex as a racing car. The car was only until recently still being developed, so new templates and production methods were still being introduced as well. Among other things. Once the first batch comes off the line the rate of production usually increases.
We'll all see our favorite teams roll off in Vegas.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 31 Dec 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1802230)   #260
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Actually it makes sense if CC is going to be leasing the cars to the teams or at least making them available for lease that the cars would be delivered to CC's headquarters. CC would contract with Panoz, pay them, then lease or sell outright to Newman/Haas or whomever. Then that income would allow them to recoup their investment.

Although it would be neat to see someone hand the driver a Cashier's Check for $200 and whatever thousand for delivery of: "Racecar, Panoz DP-01 - Quantity: One."

And yes, I agree that the production/delivery seems on track. As enemy-ace note these are complex vehicles. You just can't slap them together and sort it out later - they need to be right from the factory. As they get familiar with their own processes I am sure the subsequent batches of cars will arrive in a more rapid manner.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 31 Dec 2006 at 14:54.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1802237)   #261
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will the teams be able to put their own winglets on the cars which I think Newman/haas did? evolving the car to an extent?
Old 31 Dec 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1802259)   #262
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is an interesting question Luke. To what extent can modifications or additions be made?
Old 31 Dec 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1802264)   #263
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be wrong (not the first time) but I seem to recall that no changes would be allowed. To me that is wrong probably because I was always playing with winglets,bodywork, revising airflow ducting and other little tweaks. Some worked some didn't but it was always a challenge, especially without a wind tunnel.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1802326)   #264
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be like GP2 - you can change the setup, but only with the parts provided