Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Mar 2014, 01:13 (Ref:3374193)   #401
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
It's never going to happen.

At an F1 event FOM have total control over track coverage and world feed from the first Green Light on a Friday morning of which ever categories first practice through to the end of the interviews after Grand Prix Podium., and also issue the passes to the National broadcasters for their paddock camera crews.

They would never relinquish control to another series, you only have to look at Australia where the V8s didn't get coverage unless the local broadcaster bought it from FOM. Even at that it would be coverage directed by the FOM tv director not regular one from that series.
Oh I know it's never going to happen, I was just thinking if it ever were, the state of IndyCar broadcasting would be a major issue.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 09:13 (Ref:3374293)   #402
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grands Prix of Crimea
Old 3 Mar 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3374339)   #403
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Grands Prix of Crimea
The pit crews already have (Nomex) Balaclavas.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 07:01 (Ref:3375218)   #404
Tony Vandervell
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tony Vandervell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie talking up the likelihood of an Azerbaijani GP: http://grandprix247.com/2014/03/05/f...ely-to-happen/

Okay, so which circuits get dumped to accommodate Baku, New Jersey (if it ever happens), and the potential return of Mexico City to the calendar?

Last edited by Tony Vandervell; 5 Mar 2014 at 07:19.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 09:51 (Ref:3375289)   #405
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vandervell View Post
Okay, so which circuits get dumped to accommodate Baku?
It will be the German GP.
Yes, Azerbaijan GP to replace the German GP in 2016.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3375294)   #406
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like an old Bernie tactic to get money out of the German Government or car industry but I suspect they might not want to play ball due to some activities in the German courts.

Joe Saward has something to say on the subject as well.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/...e-right-races/
Old 5 Mar 2014, 17:09 (Ref:3375410)   #407
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
More Long Beach possible going to F1 stories:

Orange County Register: “Could Formula One race return to Long Beach?” http://www.ocregister.com/articles/l...each-race.html

Long Beach Press-Telegram: “Long Beach Formula One race could be costly” http://www.presstelegram.com/events/...ould-be-costly

(Both stories came out before the Long Beach City Council met in closed session yesterday.)
Old 5 Mar 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3375477)   #408
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vandervell View Post
Bernie talking up the likelihood of an Azerbaijani GP: http://grandprix247.com/2014/03/05/f...ely-to-happen/

Okay, so which circuits get dumped to accommodate Baku, New Jersey (if it ever happens), and the potential return of Mexico City to the calendar?
An Azerbaijani GP? What's the point, other than lining Bernie's pockets?
Old 5 Mar 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3375485)   #409
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect that Bernie is letting out the stories about a GP in Azerbaijan and/or Long Beach are being used as pawns. The idea is to get more money from the German GP organisers by saying he has que of possible replacements. However he will have to be careful how deals with the German's as he has a little court case coming up and it could end up biteing him some where sore.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3375503)   #410
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
An Azerbaijani GP? What's the point, other than lining Bernie's pockets?
no point other than that.

Long Beach would be cool but i dont see it happening. cynical but perhaps f1 is the pawn in this as the Indy pitch will sound reasonable by comparison to what F1 expects and ultimately the city council will think they are getting a steal with Indy.

anyways at the end of the day i just want F1 to go to places where the people who live there actually want it and can afford to attend in person.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3375534)   #411
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Per Robin Miller, the Long Beach City Council has put off making a decision on how to proceed. More here.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 23:45 (Ref:3375565)   #412
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
He told the people od Melbourne twenty was his desirable figure. They are discussing and settling on a figure for renewal in Melbourne now....

Suddenly there is rumour of race on in Azerbaijan, another prospect of a trip back to Long Beach...already in Sochi, (who just sent troops into Ukraine... ) and Mexico and New Jersey are on the calendar for 2015... along with India returning and Korea wanting to...

That's six venues looking to scrap over one spot to make it 20 for next year or 2016...two if Sochi falls over due to military trouble in the Ukraine (other side of the Black Sea).

Does F1 need all this..? No
Do the teams want races there?
is it beneficial to the sport?
Does Bernie want to create an impression of people desperate to run an F1 race? Yes.
Are there FIA provisions that may count some of these places out? Yes.

Bernie would have races in the Niger, Columbia and Ivory Coast if they would pay his bill ($28 million + for Long Beach). CVC wouldn't care as long as the money comes in and there is no bad publicity...
Old 5 Mar 2014, 23:54 (Ref:3375570)   #413
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Per Robin Miller, the Long Beach City Council has put off making a decision on how to proceed. More here.
It doesn't really surprise me. There will have to be modifications to the track and then there's Bernie's sanctioning fee and he's got this law suit in Germany hanging over him. I'd certainly put any decision off for a while.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3375576)   #414
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It doesn't really surprise me. There will have to be modifications to the track and then there's Bernie's sanctioning fee and he's got this law suit in Germany hanging over him. I'd certainly put any decision off for a while.
Financially Long Beach just wont work for California... You'd need up to $100 million for track upgrades, $28 million for the sanctioning fee and the council says it wants no costs for the council that cant be taken back via taxes etc...

Could promoter Pook get people to pay $250 to sit in a bleacher and watch cars go by for two hours on a Sunday afternoon? To fully cover $128 million he'd only need a crowd of 512,000....

Those are the economics of F1. It is no longer a viable promotion and must be supported by public money to underwrite the losses.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3375579)   #415
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Financially Long Beach just wont work for California... You'd need up to $100 million for track upgrades, $28 million for the sanctioning fee and the council says it wants no costs for the council that cant be taken back via taxes etc...

Could promoter Pook get people to pay $250 to sit in a bleacher and watch cars go by for two hours on a Sunday afternoon? To fully cover $128 million he'd only need a crowd of 512,000....

Those are the economics of F1. It is no longer a viable promotion and must be supported by public money to underwrite the losses.
Totally agree with you and I'm from California.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 05:37 (Ref:3375623)   #416
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Mexico and New Jersey are on the calendar for 2015... along with India returning and Korea wanting to....
No Indian GP in 2015.

Ecclestone: "We're going to Azerbaijan.

"The people out there are talking about holding a race in 2015. That may be a bit soon - unless it's at the end of the season, that's a possibility. But 2016 is more likely."
Old 6 Mar 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3375651)   #417
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ecclestone also says that South Korea would return in 2016.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 07:44 (Ref:3375656)   #418
Tony Vandervell
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tony Vandervell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie only said they've been thinking about 2016 for Korea, but unless some magical solution can be found to their lack of spectators & resultant hefty financial loss every time a race is staged, I just can't see F1 returning to Yeongam. Which in a way is a pity as I have a certain fondness for the track, or certainly I prefer it over several of the other recent additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
... at the end of the day i just want F1 to go to places where the people who live there actually want it and can afford to attend in person.
I trust no one who works for Bernie would ever utter such blasphemies....
Old 6 Mar 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3375668)   #419
321Go
Veteran

On the Indian GP, it's a fantastic track layout. Would have to be in my top three or four F1 circuits to be on the calendar in recent years. A favourite among the drivers too. The let down for the GP was it's facilities. An utter fail in my opinion.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3375738)   #420
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Burnies full of crap.

Smoke & mirrors trying to prop up his race fees.

Just like Branson with his publicity stunts, Bernie just opens his mouth and utters rubbish and it gets published!!!

We are all idiots for even responding to it!

If we all just ignored his silly insights he might just end up being recognised as what he really is.

Nothing but an silly 80 year old man.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 11:43 (Ref:3375748)   #421
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
On the Indian GP, it's a fantastic track layout. Would have to be in my top three or four F1 circuits to be on the calendar in recent years. A favourite among the drivers too. The let down for the GP was it's facilities. An utter fail in my opinion.
I would have thought it was let down by the fact Cricket is King in India and F1 just couldn't compete, so now Bernie's looking at Azerbaijan, another country with little or no motorsports heritage, to make a quick buck.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3375909)   #422
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
I would have thought it was let down by the fact Cricket is King in India and F1 just couldn't compete, so now Bernie's looking at Azerbaijan, another country with little or no motorsports heritage, to make a quick buck.
Indian standards in facilities is usually poor because they just don't live with the standards of public health facilities westerners do. Nothing like it. So they are always on the back foot dealing with westerners.

India want the GP back but Bernie's impatient with people who won't pay his fees.
Some of it seems like 'cultural imperialism' but its just his way of dealing with people. The circuit is great but you only have to look at the 'third world history' of dealing with Bernie.
Once upon a time if you had a track he tolerated it but since the late 90's he now wants a palace standard of track and a pile of gold along with it.

His inheritance for the sport will be a legacy of once beautiful circuits throughout the third world, all deserted and unused like mausoleums to an ancient civilisation...
Old 6 Mar 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3375939)   #423
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/...-2014030684354
Old 7 Mar 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3375976)   #424
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
As long 'Nazgûl Racing' beats 'Team Hobbit'.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 01:30 (Ref:3375988)   #425
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post

As long as the money goes into Bernie's bank a/c I guarantee he will give them a GP!