Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 26 May 2002, 00:40 (Ref:296240)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Dixon to Ganassi?

Can anybody here speak Swedish?

"Kenny Bräck får ytterligare en stallkamrat från och med nästa CART-race i Milwaukee (2 juni). Det är nyzeeländaren Scott Dixon som skall köra en tredjebil i Ganassiteamet, sedan Pac West Racing tvingats slå igen i brist på sponsorer. Dixon, som har Stefan ”Lövis” Johansson som manager, var årets CART-rookie ifjol, men har inte haft samma framgångar hittills i år."

I found this by following a link which suggested that Ganassi is expanding to three cars and taking on Scott Dixon, effective next round in Milwaukee. Unfortunately, I've got no idea what that passage says! But if true, it would suggest that PWR is closing its doors. Been trying to find similar news in english, but to no avail...
Old 26 May 2002, 00:41 (Ref:296241)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
PS) The link was to "IB Motorsports".
http://www.ib.se/indexie.lasso
Old 26 May 2002, 00:47 (Ref:296242)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Me again. Just wanted to "gloat" that I just got a new star under my name. Buy me a drink next time you see me.
Old 26 May 2002, 02:21 (Ref:296281)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't read Swedish but it looks as if Stefan Johanssen is Dixon's manager! Maybe he will go to sports cars in his spare time if he can't get another champ car drive?

The Swedish site is interesting -- I saw a story about Petter Solberg, who is Norweigian I think. I wonder if one of the translation programs would be able to make anything of it?
Old 26 May 2002, 02:23 (Ref:296283)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, forgot the beer!
Old 26 May 2002, 09:35 (Ref:296423)   #6
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are now getting reports that CHip Ganassi will sign on Scott Dixon as the third Target Chip Ganassi car for Milwaukee onwards, and PWR will bring Oriol Servia back. We are expecting an announcement shortly
Thats from Champweb.net. So assuming its not just rumour (hopefully not) that puts 20 cars back on the grid.
Old 26 May 2002, 09:38 (Ref:296425)   #7
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
mind you I just read some of Champweb's other rumours and they sounded like ****e
Old 26 May 2002, 09:39 (Ref:296427)   #8
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
and congrat Macdaddy on your 500 posts
Old 26 May 2002, 15:26 (Ref:296673)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It means this:

"Kenny Bräck will have an extra team mate as of the next CART race in Milwaukee (2 June). New Zealander Scott Dixon will drive the third car in the Ganassi team, since Pac West Racing have been forced to close down their operation due to lack of sponsors. Dixon, whose manager is Stefan "Lövis" Johansson, was Rookie of the year in CART last year, but has not enjoyed the same success so far this year."
Old 27 May 2002, 06:43 (Ref:297171)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a real shame for PacWest, who have been a mainstay and loyal contender in CART.
Old 27 May 2002, 09:12 (Ref:297246)   #11
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
from rpm.espn.com........"Dixon lands on his feet quickly
By Robin Miller
ESPN.com

Dixon
In a move guaranteed to keep one of Championship Auto Racing Teams' best young talents in the lineup and 20 cars on the track, Scott Dixon will join Target/Ganassi Racing for the remainder of 2002 -- beginning at Milwaukee next weekend.

Dixon, 21, has spent the first year and three races of his champ car career with PacWest Racing, which became PWR Racing this season and recently dropped its second team with Oriol Servia.

Toyota, which reportedly helps with Dixon's salary and owned two of the Lolas campaigned by PWR, is believed to be instrumental in putting this deal together -- along with CART.

The youngest driver in CART history to win a race (he was 20 years old when he triumphed at Nazareth, Pa. in 2000), Dixon will join Kenny Brack and Bruno Junqueira, who both run Lola/Toyotas.

"We're going to be flat out for a while but Scott is a helluva talent so it will be worth it," said a Ganassi crewman.

PWR Racing, owned by Bruce McCaw and without a major sponsor the past two seasons, is expected to be at Milwaukee with Servia as the team's driver. "

Good to see CART trying to keep the series alive
Old 27 May 2002, 13:31 (Ref:297517)   #12
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats good news, Oriol gets his drive back and Dixon in a better drive

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 27 May 2002, 14:27 (Ref:297554)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Good to see Toyota trying to keep the series alive, too.
Old 27 May 2002, 18:53 (Ref:297790)   #14
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dixon to Ganassi
Servia back to PWR

Good all around I say.
Old 27 May 2002, 19:14 (Ref:297806)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
which number will Dixon be?
Old 27 May 2002, 19:53 (Ref:297835)   #16
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll probably keep #7.
Old 28 May 2002, 03:23 (Ref:298121)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how did this musical chairs come to be? I guess CART officials must have stepped in behind the scenes to put together this deal? So did Ganassi have to pay PWR anything? So why did Servia get the ride back? Was it contractually obliged? I guess PWR couldn't find another paying driver? Was the PWR and Servia split a friendly/happy one? It was definitely sudden?
Old 28 May 2002, 10:18 (Ref:298301)   #18
StuiE
Veteran

Servia was dropped because of PWS's lack of money, not some falling out, and PWR got Servia back because thats who they had before, and they think he is the best for the job

05 - Peter Brock
Old 28 May 2002, 19:28 (Ref:298708)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Oh yeah, you'd better believe Pook stepped in behind the scenes. A big "Thank-you" to Ganassi and Target! But does PWR have the funds to run past Milwaukee? And can Sigma finish out the season? Pook may be dancing this dance again.
Old 30 May 2002, 00:28 (Ref:299945)   #20
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
which number will Dixon be?
Dixon will campaign the number 44. His car will carry Target colors although Target is not funding the effort. Toyota, who already subsidised Dixon's salary at PWR, is behind this effort.
Old 30 May 2002, 09:27 (Ref:300155)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Why would Toyota give Target the credit? I'd think they'd have branded it with the Toyota colors. Off-topic, but a little birdy told me that KOOL pretty much funded Green's Indy effort, but due to the tobacco regs the sponsorship on the car went to 7-11 basically for free. All they have to do is give KOOL more shelf space in their stores.
Old 30 May 2002, 11:17 (Ref:300251)   #22
StuiE
Veteran

but how come Penske got to have the Marlboro sponsership on their car?, or was it a loophole where they had the team name on the car?

05 - Peter Brock
Old 30 May 2002, 11:24 (Ref:300257)   #23
StuiE
Veteran

got it from MaxSport, dont worry about it

05 - Peter Brock
Old 30 May 2002, 11:24 (Ref:300258)   #24
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69
but how come Penske got to have the Marlboro sponsership on their car?, or was it a loophole where they had the team name on the car?
Because Penske no longer competes in CART. The tobacco companies can be in 1 and only 1 race series in the US, and Marlboro picked the IRL, of which the Indy 500 is part of the schedule.

When F1 comes to town, Malboro won't be able to show their logo on the Ferraris because they already sponsored cars in the 500.