Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:05 (Ref:367307)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario Joins Board of Directors of CART

LEGENDARY RACER, MARIO ANDRETTI, NAMED TO CHAMPIONSHIP AUTO RACING TEAMS, INC. BOARD OF DIRECTORS

INDIANAPOLIS (August 27, 2002) - Legendary race car driver, Mario Andretti, has been named to the Board of Directors of auto racing sanctioning organization Championship Auto Racing Teams, Inc (NYSE:MPH).

The announcement was made Tuesday in Indianapolis by CART President and CEO, Christopher R. Pook. "Mario Andretti is a true believer in the CART product, and has long been a great ambassador for our sport," said Pook. "Mario has a wealth of experience in racing that will benefit our Board of Directors and management as we continue to refine and implement our business model and marketing platform. We believe that Mario's experience in various forms of motor racing, as well as his business and marketing acumen, will complement the strengths of the other members of the Board of Directors."

Andretti ended a racing career in 1994 that left him standing among the pantheon of motor-racing greats, compiling 52 Champ Car wins over his CART and USAC careers with four season championships. In 1978, he joined Phil Hill as the only American to claim the World Drivers Championship, winning six races enroute to the Formula 1 title. He showed his versatility over his 36-year career by winning fabled endurance races at Sebring and Daytona as well as the Daytona and Indianapolis 500-mile races. His 407 Champ Car starts are the most in the history of the sport, as are his 67 pole positions.

"I am proud and honored to join CART's Board of Directors and hope to assist the current Board in helping CART attain the status that it deserves in motor racing," Andretti said. "While this is a business decision for me and my family, it has always been clear that my heart is in CART and it will be my pleasure to help the series to grow."

Now how will Mikey look if he joins the Invisibles?

Last edited by Liz; 28 Aug 2002 at 11:07.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 15:16 (Ref:367513)   #2
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news! I think it should be 'when' instead of 'if' on Mikey. Curious how he'll spin the change over now?
I think Mario is & has been a great spokesman for CART & with this, & hopefully his new team he's standing up for his convictions. Thanks & God speed Mario!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 16:53 (Ref:367566)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario should be named Honorary President of CART...
Old 28 Aug 2002, 19:20 (Ref:367701)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic news!

Still got some life in her yet!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 19:27 (Ref:367706)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now if they could just get Zanardi involved somehow.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 22:19 (Ref:367806)   #6
pferrf1
Rookie

pferrf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody think that somebody from Ford will end up on the BOD?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 22:56 (Ref:367828)   #7
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could this postion have been given to Mario to try and stop Jr from taking his new team to the Crapwagons ?
Old 28 Aug 2002, 23:38 (Ref:367854)   #8
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe so. It's pretty much a done deal, all Mikey has to do is find the proper spin. He can't really use the 'I'll go where my sponsors want' with KOOL's noninterest in the Invisibles. But Mikey's burnt his bridges, & Pook pretty much showed him the door with his 'Retirement opportunity for aging back-markers' statement. I say, the next few years are going to be rebuilding years for CART, so why not cut the dead wood out, expect to lose a bit of ground, then come back with an all around better product. I for one won't miss him at all.
I feel Mario's Directorship is a briliant move by CART to get him as involved as possible in helping steer the Series forward, & will result in another team owner on the board.

Last edited by Dave S; 28 Aug 2002 at 23:41.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 23:52 (Ref:367863)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What Mario will add to the board, I don't know. But his announcement certainly has put a bit of a positive vibe back into the series, if this thread is any indication.

...so is Mario still going to set up his Newman Haas satelite team?
Old 29 Aug 2002, 00:17 (Ref:367868)   #10
Liz
Veteran

That's the scuttlebutt. But nothing has been said out loud yet.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 00:51 (Ref:367884)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...So who else is on the board of directors?
Old 29 Aug 2002, 05:13 (Ref:367963)   #12
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The CART Board is:

Chris Pook - He's organized a few of races
Mario Andretti - He's driven in a few.
Carl Haas - He's owned a couple of cars and knows a movie star
James Hardyman - Retired CEO of Textron (aerospace) and Emerson Elec.
James Henderson - Retired CEO of Cummins Engine Co.
U.E. "Pat" Patrick - Founding CART Member
Fred Tucker - Retired Deputy CEO of Motorola
Derrick Walker - Team Owner - Ran Penske's operation for awhile too.

Not a bad crew!

Last edited by Flatspot; 29 Aug 2002 at 05:14.