Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jan 2003, 03:30 (Ref:488986)   #1
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
US F1 television

Does Speed Channel have the 2003 season broadcast rights ? They have been pretty quiet about the whole matter; but their F3000 telecasts seem to imply they will/do. Does anybody know ?
Old 29 Jan 2003, 04:07 (Ref:489011)   #2
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will have to endure the annual wait! Remember in 2001 we did not find out we would get f1 till 48 hours before the Melbourne race!

Its the usual money bantering and bargening between FOX and Bernie!!
Old 29 Jan 2003, 04:10 (Ref:489015)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I sure hope Speed gets it, because otherwise, I'll be stuck watching James Allen on the itv feed again
Old 29 Jan 2003, 05:19 (Ref:489036)   #4
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
I sure hope Speed gets it, because otherwise, I'll be stuck watching James Allen on the itv feed again
Us Americans dont have that luxury. Im sure Speed will renew its F1 contract but if they didnt there would be NO US coverage except for maybe 2 races on ABC.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 05:39 (Ref:489049)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but at this point I really don't care if they renew or not.

They didn't renew the same-day WRC coverage, I _still_ haven't see anything from the Monte Carlo rally! So maybe they're going totally NASCAR.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 06:09 (Ref:489053)   #6
JonesF1
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Yeah, but at this point I really don't care if they renew or not.

They didn't renew the same-day WRC coverage, I _still_ haven't see anything from the Monte Carlo rally! So maybe they're going totally NASCAR.
You dont care? Without Speed there is no F1 coverage. I, like many people, need my hot dose of F1 every 2 weeks. Bad coverage, delayed coverage, whatever. Its a shame though about WRC and Speed is already the NASCAR Channel.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 07:05 (Ref:489082)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

*shrugs* Yeah, I honestly don't care... I'm boycotting until Spa's back on the calendar... Was just the last straw for me.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 11:32 (Ref:489301)   #8
RaceFreak
Racer

my intuituion sez that F1's TV numbers in the US were not that good. About half way thru the season many lost interest. Unless a TV package becomes reasonably available, (and the series becomes more competitive) F1 is dead in the US market. No numbers for support, just intuition.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 14:50 (Ref:489478)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

It's not the TV package, it's the product.

Formula Eccelstone has almost zero appeal here... Motorsport in the US is driven largely by the appeal of the drivers, and Michael Schumacher's pretty much the antethis of drivers popular here, who have to be accessible, lively, personable, and need to really love what they're doing for a living.

The A-1 Ring debacle was just revolting to an audience which believes sports shouldn't be politicised.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 29 Jan 2003 at 14:57.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 15:17 (Ref:489510)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
and Michael Schumacher's pretty much the antethis of drivers popular here, who have to be accessible, lively, personable, and need to really love what they're doing for a living.

Come on Lee, you can say what you will about Schumi's personality, but to suggest that he doesn't love what he is doing for a living is a bit extreme. There is no one more dedicated to staying on top than Michael.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 15:58 (Ref:489555)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Racers in the US are a different breed to those in F1. In F1 they are either like businessmen or spoilt rich boys. It does not appeal to people who are used to drivers that consistently tell the fans how much they appreciate them. NASCAR drivers (as much as I dislike the sport) do show passion yet they still act like good ol boys. They share a lot in common with the people that watch the sport. They act like the people next door. In F1 they act like they are above all else.
Then MS screwing up the US race only made matters worse. Its not the hard core F1 fans that are being lost its the potential fans. When we are gone they need to be the ones to keep the sport alive. If Americans feel that the drivers are arrogant enough to manipulate the sport they will not watch.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 16:04 (Ref:489563)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Come on Lee, you can say what you will about Schumi's personality, but to suggest that he doesn't love what he is doing for a living is a bit extreme. There is no one more dedicated to staying on top than Michael.
He loves winning, sure, but I'd say racing's debatable... I don't want to make this a Schumi bash thread, but the cheating, intentional collisions, and political maneuvering say to me that he doesn't get any enjoyment from racing someone hard and clean.

And things he's gotten away with in F1 would earn you a severe arse-kicking in really any series over here, and rightly so.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 16:26 (Ref:489589)   #13
RaceFreak
Racer

All true. If F1 were televised live, on all access TV (not cable) I'm not sure it would gain any more public support than it has now (which is to say - not much). The 'zenith of technical development' card doesn't out-play the lack of passing issue. It's simply too much of a parade with the same teams finishing in all-too-predictable order. The majority of US fans are not members of the hard-core, as we here on this list are. They could care less about the subtlties we revel in. They want to see photo finishes after 500 miles, in places they can relate to. (Suzuka ? Ostereich Ring ?) OK....they are debatably less sophisticated than their European counterparts, but a powerfully numerous, affluent audience none the less.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 16:34 (Ref:489597)   #14
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
On the other hand, I don't think American fans would mind watching the parade if at least there was an American driver. Surely, there must be an American capable of competatively driving an F1 car!
Old 29 Jan 2003, 16:41 (Ref:489599)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

They didn't watch when Eddie Cheever was in, or even when Michael Andretti was!

And yes, there are Americans who could drive Formula 1 competitively: Bryan Herta (unemployed), Phil Giebler (Spanish F3), Paul Edwards (TWS with Red Bull), and youngster A.J. Allmendinger, who dominated the Barber Dodge Pro Series last year in his first season of pro competition... EVER... Looks to be the hottest thing on four wheels right now.

Edwards and Allmendinger are probably the best talent we've produced in several decades. If Red Bull actually does give Paul a shot at the big time, maybe he'll get something accomplished.

More's the pity that he and Giebler never got so much as a glance from a Champcar team, who let a _lot_ of talent slip between their fingers in favor of F1 washouts like Christian Fittipaldi (and no, I don't count Zanardi in that category) and hopeless pay drivers. I really hope Allmendinger doesn't suffer the same fate.

It's pretty damn arrogant of us Yanks to assume foreign teams will hire our drivers when our own teams won't take a chance on them!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 29 Jan 2003 at 16:51.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 17:45 (Ref:489669)   #16
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that Speed gets F1 again for two reasons. It allows me to keep watching the race when TSN (they play the ITV feed) is on commercials. Peter Windsor's pre-race reports are also worth watching. Speed does need to do something about the announcers. The american, Rick Debrul (I don't think I spelled that right!), starts every sentence with "The question is, will" Hasn't someone told him yet how annoying it is to listen to him. Why isn't Bob Varsha still involved with F1. I have enjoyed watching the F3000 races with him commentating. I do feel sorry for the americans that don't get the option of where to watch F1 on TV.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 17:52 (Ref:489677)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
IMHO, Rick Debrul is far more insightful and entertaining that James Allen.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 18:17 (Ref:489706)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
The US is opens it borders to everyone but closes its mind to everything. We have our own series here, we dont promote worldwide racing. I dont know how much of the US racing series are shown in Europe either. There are many series here to satisfy almost every need. Most of them are not manufactured. CART which is known worldwide IMO is one of the worst series here.
For F1 to be more accepted I think it has to change. If Ford had the "balls" to create a Ford team with at least one American driver and an American crew it would do loads for F1 here. In reality that effort would be expensive and more than likely fail. I expect F1 to be mediocre at best for a long time.

Rick D. may not be the best but its an attempt to bring in another point of view. He seems to be there more to ask the questions that people not familiar with F1 might ask. He does not annoy me that much.

Last edited by neilap; 29 Jan 2003 at 18:21.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 18:36 (Ref:489731)   #19
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Rick D. may not be the best but its an attempt to bring in another point of view. He seems to be there more to ask the questions that people not familiar with F1 might ask. He does not annoy me that much."

I don't mind him explaining things, but from Australia to Japan it was the same thing coming out of his mouth. David Hobbs on the other hand seemed to inventing new words and sounds every race. Sometimes he gets a little confused about what's going on (a bit like Murray Walker), but at least he is entertaining to listen to.

How about opinions on Steve Matchett? His knowledge adds a lot to the coverage.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 19:57 (Ref:489802)   #20
JonesF1
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
If Ford had the "balls" to create a Ford team with at least one American driver and an American crew it would do loads for F1 here. In reality that effort would be expensive and more than likely fail. I expect F1 to be mediocre at best for a long time.
Ive been saying this since I started watching F1. The Jaguar Joke needs to end. I know Ford has its debt but why go half way? Either pay the $250 million it takes to win or get out completly. A Ford team with a rejuvinated Cosworth would be so sweet but itll never happen.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:03 (Ref:489810)   #21
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I agree... Ford has been around F1 for so long, they owe it to themselves to do this right - with lots of American money, and an American driver. Would do wonders for the sport, especially if another US track could be added.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:33 (Ref:489842)   #22
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
NASCAR drivers (as much as I dislike the sport) do show passion yet they still act like good ol boys. They share a lot in common with the people that watch the sport. They act like the people next door.
This is true. An acquaintance of mine in North Carolina lives just down the street from Tony Stewart, and has played poker with him on a few occasions, and he reports that Mr. Stewart is a very likeable fellow away from the track, but no less competitive!
Old 29 Jan 2003, 21:13 (Ref:489877)   #23
Majik
Rookie

Majik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He loves winning, sure, but I'd say racing's debatable... I don't want to make this a Schumi bash thread, but the cheating, intentional collisions, and political maneuvering say to me that he doesn't get any enjoyment from racing someone hard and clean.

And things he's gotten away with in F1 would earn you a severe arse-kicking in really any series over here, and rightly so.

Oh dear .... another one that doesn't know what they are talking about.
Lee, get you facts right before you go posting on the net.

Michael Schumacher is one of the greatest racing drivers Formula 1 has ever seem, up there with Senna and Fangio. to say that he doesn't enjoy racing, just shows that you don't know much about F1 at all. His love for racing is still so strong, he debates about retiring at the end of 2004 when his contract is up.

Take five minutes and read about the man, then maybe you'll understand a little that motavates him, and see that your statement above is completely untrue.

5 times world champion, were not going to see that kind of talent from anyone else on the current F1 grid, Michael has done more for Formula 1 since his rookie year of 91 than most.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 21:13 (Ref:489879)   #24
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
IMHO, Rick Debrul is far more insightful and entertaining that James Allen.
Moldy bread would be more insightful and entertaining than James Allen.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 05:47 (Ref:490195)   #25
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like watching Speed coverage because they include the last practice and the post race interviews. I like David Hobbs ,Peter Windsor and Steve Matchett .They often add lots of inside info and views. OTOH TSN's coverage is getting shorter and Vic Rautner is HOPELESS...