Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 May 2003, 23:01 (Ref:606385)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Little Al

OK, simple question: just how good is Al Unser Jr.? Two-times CART champion, three-times winner of the Daytona 24 Hours, IROC champion, winner of the Indy 500... Lucky or good? Or both? Also, how good is he now?

For what it's worth, my (uneducated) view is that in the late '80s and early '90s, he was very good indeed. Now, I think he's still got some speed. With a top team in the IRL - if Penske took him back, say - I think he'd have a tilt at the title, as the speed on ovals is still largely there. But, in his forties, I don't think he has what it takes to drag a team like Kelley to the very top of the IRL.

Thoughts?
Old 21 May 2003, 23:07 (Ref:606391)   #2
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was unstapable in the 80's. Now he just doesn't have it to compete for championships. I can't really say how he is doing over there, but it was more than just the uncompetative Penske car he was driving that keeped him from doing well the last couple of years in Champ Cars.
Old 21 May 2003, 23:28 (Ref:606404)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should this not be in the IRL forum? Who cares about Al Uuser Jr.!
Old 21 May 2003, 23:28 (Ref:606405)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little Al's carrying a ton of baggage that I don't think he can shed and he has to, to get back to the top. Could he? Yes. Will he? No.
Old 21 May 2003, 23:29 (Ref:606406)   #5
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was a really good driver back then. I think his downfall was his lifestyle. Excesive drinking, never interested in conditioning, etc eroded his skills at too young an age. Penske dropped him for that very reason. He's well over the hill now even though he's not physically that old.
Old 21 May 2003, 23:30 (Ref:606407)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well, he was in CART/Indy Cars for fifteen years; this is his fourth in the IRL. So I put it here.

I would say anyone interested in US open-wheel racing cares about Little Al.
Old 21 May 2003, 23:43 (Ref:606416)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was pretty good once. He was always better than Mikey when they were in CART. But his hedonism destroyed his talent as a driver, he's useless now.
Old 21 May 2003, 23:47 (Ref:606419)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Unser Jr. is NOT IN CART annymore! I am interested in US OW racing....it's called CART! Until both series unite or one of them folds, then this thread should be moved to the IRL forum.
Old 22 May 2003, 02:32 (Ref:606462)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree, he made a name for himself in Cart, as did many other drivers, thus it's a valid topic here.

I'm not sure how you end up with a name like "little" though...lol.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 May 2003, 02:52 (Ref:606467)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple, really; if your daddy is well known and your name is the same as his, in the South you are known as either "Junior" or "Little [Daddy's Name]".

Personally I think he should have retired about five years ago, while he was still a pretty good driver.
Old 22 May 2003, 03:24 (Ref:606472)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, if his name was 'John Smith'....or 'Little Jon', he'd be history long ago.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 May 2003, 04:16 (Ref:606479)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Always was, and still is, one of my all-time favourite drivers. I wish him all the luck in the world, and if Vasser doesn't win on Sunday, then I'll be rooting for Little Al. Besides, if you were to meet him, he's a heckuva nice guy.
Old 22 May 2003, 05:10 (Ref:606486)   #13
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's ****. Hasn't done much in the IRL as compared to his early to mid 90s form in CART.
Old 22 May 2003, 08:39 (Ref:606563)   #14
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately his career appears to be in decline, he was certainly a good driver in his day though.
Old 22 May 2003, 09:06 (Ref:606588)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
His career has been in a rapid decline since around 1997.
Old 22 May 2003, 09:38 (Ref:606615)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The bigger question is whether the sport has improved their drug detection, and whether there is really a zero tolerance rule in place or not

At a road race called Targa Tasmania that concluded last weekend, a codriver was disqualified from the event for blowing into a breathyalyser at 3 times the limit

Little Al admits he used cocaine, pot, drinking etc etc and not a thing is done
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 May 2003, 10:04 (Ref:606634)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think Tomas Enge could tell you how stringent drug tests are...
Old 22 May 2003, 11:38 (Ref:606704)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe less stringent in the US. All the same, Al Jr has made an effort to clean up his act, even voluntarily missing races last year so he could go into rehab.

His lifestyle has probably had a negative effect on his career's downward trajectory, but in fairness by the late 90s he'd reached an age where it becomes harder to be competitive on road/street courses, especialyl as Penske were really struggling. Who knows how he may've done alongsdie De Ferran in 2000?

However, I don't think he's as good, even on ovals, as the CART defectees and young blood. His day has passed, and I think he'll be doing well to place top 10 in the championship. It's not as if he was doing well when the competition was mainly from guys like Lazier, Sharp and Boat.

None of this shoudl take away form how good he was at his peak. He was capable of rescuing a great drive out of nowhere and was always moving up through the order on raceday. His relatively poor qualifying hindered him a bit though.

And this should go in the IRL forum, as he's an IRL man now, and we're talking about his current ability as much as his past skill. A similar thread about Montoya would go in the F1 forum, no questions asked. Should be the same here.
Old 22 May 2003, 12:34 (Ref:606775)   #19
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Little Al was almost never the fastest racer on the track. He did not garner that many poles. He did however run at the front, run the most consistent lap times, run just as fast on old tires as new ones, and had excellent racing strategy. I think that his lifestyle caught him out in this day of ultra-fit athletic race car drivers. He was from the old school of hard drinking and smoking drivers. Its impossible these days to get away with that behavior.
Never forget #99
Old 22 May 2003, 16:09 (Ref:607008)   #20
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I didn't see him for most of his prime as I only started watching CART regularly in '96, but can remember some races in 94 when Mansell was there, and Al Jr. was very impressive back then.

BTW: Didn't most of his wins come on road/street courses?
Old 22 May 2003, 18:09 (Ref:607102)   #21
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed Raven, he was the better road racer in the rivalry between himself and the younger Andretti. Michael was more successful on ovals. Although I've always disliked Unser Jr., he would have been the better choice for McLaren in 1993.
Old 22 May 2003, 18:39 (Ref:607122)   #22
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little Al was good a long time ago. he drank away most of the years he could have still been decent. now he's no good and he's certainly no role model.
Old 22 May 2003, 21:32 (Ref:607237)   #23
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Jr. should do a Al Sr. and just run the
longer distance stuff.
Old 23 May 2003, 16:55 (Ref:608101)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Always was, and still is, one of my all-time favourite drivers. I wish him all the luck in the world, and if Vasser doesn't win on Sunday, then I'll be rooting for Little Al. Besides, if you were to meet him, he's a heckuva nice guy.
I met him or tried to at the 1998 Molson Indy Toronto. He was attended by a "handler" who told me sharply to "take a signed photo and move along."

Which I did. I gave the signed photo to one of my suppliers who was thereafter my devoted slave.