Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Oct 2003, 03:10 (Ref:752857)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Television for Next Year

Here's something I've just read on ChampWeb, which seems to confirm that CART may well be on CBS/Spike/MTV next year...

The following is a comment on SV's message board, from Jim Liberatore (SV's president):

"Let me add here that the rumors are true, CART has been looking around and we agree that makes a lot of sense for them. We have encouraged them for a year to "think outside the box" and tough times call for drastic measures, and they are really trying to jump tart the series. That is why this makes a lot of sense.

CART currently reaches their hard core fan on Speed, which has not been a huge number of viewerss. By moving to Spike or MTV, CART realizes the core will find them/follow them, and by being on a network like that, maybe attract some new viewers.

CART on Speed was always a mystery that not only did it bring in small audiences, but smaller than any other racing we carried, which just does not make any sense. Part of this I am convinced is the age old Neilsen issues but that simply "is what it is". I think moving to a stage that includes a whole lot of people who have never seen CART and may now see it, is a great idea. Plus, Spike is in about 20 million more homes than Speed.

I have no idea what the plan for Qualifying may be, but that may be one of things CART elects to give up to try soemthing new. Trans Am is another issue I am not sure how they will deal with.

None of this is final and we are kind of out of the loop of late."
Old 16 Oct 2003, 04:00 (Ref:752868)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
"We are kind of out of the loop of late" speaks volumes.

Last edited by macdaddy; 16 Oct 2003 at 04:01.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 05:16 (Ref:752884)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info, Macdaddy! It looks like 10 races will be on CBS and I think the other 5 - 8 races will be on Spike!? Then again, there might be a connection between MotoRock and MTV? MTV seems like a strange station to watch a CART race....at least Spike TV is a channel that is geared (no pun intended) towards men. What do you guys think?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 16:23 (Ref:753431)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know. I hope there is better treatment in Eurosport for us European fans...
Old 16 Oct 2003, 16:48 (Ref:753451)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I think changing networks will be a good thing - for the reasons that Mr.Liberatore pointed out. "Spike is in about 20 million more homes than Speed." I had never heard of Spike, and certainly didn't think that it was in my cable lineup, until just the other night when I was watching a program on - Spike!

What's most important is that the race broadcasts are well-advertised. For the entire week leading up to the event. Is Spike owned by (or affiliated with) CBS? It would be awesome if CBS would run plugs for the races on the other two networks.

And in a perfect world, CART wouldn't need to buy their own airtime. But, with ratings the way they are, perhaps this is unavoidable for the time-being.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 18:30 (Ref:753535)   #6
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which begs the question, would it be worse to be pre-empted by Trucks or by Slamball?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 18:39 (Ref:753541)   #7
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, the concept is 8-9 races on CBS, 5-6 races on SpikeTV and 2 races on MTV... the Las Vegas race will most probably be on MTV thanks to the planned U2 concert by MotoRock, another MotoRock extravaganza/race combo will be the other MTV race... still have no clue if SpikeTV will run pre-race shows and qualifying... one thing for sure is that Lingner will stay on as CART's race production company... sorry to say, but next year's commentating crew will be a complete farce (in all likelyhood) - we won't see Speed's faces anymore...

For the last two months I've been trying like crazy to get some answer from Speed regarding their future with CART... most CART fans didn't approve of me pressing the issue and are not too happy with Speed being gone next year... finally, yesterday Jim Liberatore broke down and corfirmed this... I symphatize with him and the situation, but "such is life" - CART must see greener pastures - Speed ratings sucked, new and improved CART is coming next year ?!

zerO
Old 16 Oct 2003, 20:42 (Ref:753674)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
Actually, the concept is 8-9 races on CBS, 5-6 races on SpikeTV and 2 races on MTV
Hi zerO,

Where did you hear that?.....Is it already set in stone?.......Do you have a link?

Last edited by Dov; 16 Oct 2003 at 20:43.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 21:18 (Ref:753707)   #9
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess it won't change for us -- same old no-pregame/pre-empt for birdwatching TSN. Probably better than trying to find somebody with MTV in this country....

Sigh.

keke
Old 16 Oct 2003, 21:20 (Ref:753710)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Given their popularity in Canada, perhaps CART can work something out with MuchMusic (or MuchMoreMusic) to carry the MTV broadcasts? Especially if they're heavily-tied with MotoRock.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 21:58 (Ref:753753)   #11
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Off topic, but here it is...........

From Autosport.com:

Bridgestone to extend Champ Car deal

Subscribe to Autosport Professional for the latest industry news

Japanese tyre manufacturer Bridgestone is expected to remain as the sole supplier to CART's US-based Champ Car World Series in 2004. "We fully intend to continue to supply CART in at least the same status as this year," said a Bridgestone spokesman. "At this moment, the final details are under negotiation."
Old 16 Oct 2003, 22:05 (Ref:753762)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I was (am still am) surprised that your original thread on the same subject didn't get covered, Dov. I feel it was a major announcement.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=45062
Old 16 Oct 2003, 22:40 (Ref:753815)   #13
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Hi zerO,

.......Do you have a link?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 22:57 (Ref:753828)   #14
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, Macdaddy!.....I was also VERY surprised, me thinks it was a major announcement too. I thought for sure people in this forum would want to discuss what side of the fence they stood on...........

(1)Let's keep the current CART package around....it's been good up till this point....never fix something that already works!

(2)That's terrible news, manufacturers make auto racing more exciting.....the sooner we get rid of the spec tires and engines, the better!

There must have been bigger news to discuss that day, Macdaddy!
Old 16 Oct 2003, 23:30 (Ref:753851)   #15
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
We're in a good mood, are we, Corky?
Old 17 Oct 2003, 01:02 (Ref:753911)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spike use to be TNN. Spike is viable because they have car shows, racing, etc. so atleast some of the target audience is watching. Speed is a very focused audience though. I don't know that 25% more people are automatically going to watch on Spike.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 01:27 (Ref:753934)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything is better Speed IMO... broadcasting on PBS would get more viewers than Speed. Having the CART races on Speed ensures that CART will not get any new fans, and in fact, will lose old ones because they can no longer see the race. Whatever number of households Speed reaches, I bet 90% of them never watch the channel..and of the 10% left, probably only 2% of them are interested in CART enough to watch the race... hence why some races can have more people at them than watching on TV. SpikeTV, MTV, BTV, whatever...would be beter than Speed.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Oct 2003, 03:25 (Ref:753977)   #18
zerO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Hi zerO,

Where did you hear that?.....Is it already set in stone?.......Do you have a link?
Ofcourse, it is not set in stone... all I got is a confirmation of a rumor... and if you'll look at it logistically - the numbers make sense... it doesn't really matter how many races on CBS or haw many on SpikeTV... we cannot expect a less butchered coverage from SpikeTV... reality is that if these networks do not get their act together and present the CART races in a better format than the silly CBS did this year - then what is the point ?!... all we can do is hope for better ?!

In the meantime, there are a couple other points to consider: #1 - suppose CART will land a series title sponsor ??? - and the funny thing is it's about to happen... what does that mean ?... it means that instead of CART paying for their TV programming - someone else will... and when that Santa Claus comes to town - the whole CART programming concept will take on another dimension... that is the major part that is presently lacking...

In the meantime, CART has to live with whatever it has or can get... and this CBS/Spike/MTV deal is the best that they could have gotten... how much better than the current CBS/Speed deal is yet to be seen, but odds are that it will be better - Spike reaches more hoseholds than Speed, and so does MTV !!!

Anyhow, the format presented is 8-9 races on CBS, 5-6 on SpikeTV, and 2 on MTV... no freakin' links - this is called "insider information" or a "rumor" to others - but, it has been confirmed by Jim Liberatore of Speed as being true... whoever wants a link to anything else - they can link themselves with..............

zerO
Old 17 Oct 2003, 14:44 (Ref:754410)   #19
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bridgestone announcement was one of "intention." It said "still under negotiation." That means if the series continues, the cars will have tires.

With all the talk about TV, I have yet to see who's going to pay for it. The time buys cost CART more this year than the total $15 million in operating expenses that OWRS has pledged to put up to run the series.

IMO, I don't think we should get excited about this yet....Liberatore said they're "shopping," but at this point, we don't know if current CART management or OWRS is doing the shopping, or can.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 15:12 (Ref:754436)   #20
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be happy as long as it's on any network that I can watch.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 15:37 (Ref:754469)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
#1 - suppose CART will land a series title sponsor ??? - and the funny thing is it's about to happen...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Oct 2003, 15:46 (Ref:754481)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Here's hoping it's Budweiser!
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:10 (Ref:754507)   #23
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macdaddy, it's rumored to be McDonald's that's being courted. The rumor is McDonald's would get the title sponsorship for free and CART would get huge international promotion out of it. McDonald's is supposed to decide by the end of the month but I'm hearing the deal's pretty lukewarm.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:54 (Ref:754551)   #24
extreme
Rookie

Canada
Edmonton, AB
extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I long for the days when CBC used to rebroadcast the races at midnight. One of the most memorable nights in my life happened after watching the replay of the 99 molson indy toronto.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:47 (Ref:754602)   #25
zerO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Off topic, but here it is...........

From Autosport.com:

Bridgestone to extend Champ Car deal

Subscribe to Autosport Professional for the latest industry news

Japanese tyre manufacturer Bridgestone is expected to remain as the sole supplier to CART's US-based Champ Car World Series in 2004. "We fully intend to continue to supply CART in at least the same status as this year," said a Bridgestone spokesman. "At this moment, the final details are under negotiation."

btw, Bridgestone does more than just supply free rubber ?!?!
zerO