Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 15 Apr 2004, 08:45 (Ref:940172)   #1
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dixon injured at first testing day

Scott Dixon was injured and hospitalised after a crash during the first testing session at Motegi.
Fortunately it semms not to be too serious, however he didn't take part to the second session.

Has anyone more detailed info about?
Old 15 Apr 2004, 09:40 (Ref:940213)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dixon was transported by helicopter to Dokkyo University Hospital for precautionary X-rays on his left ankle. His status for qualifying will be determined today.

"I’m not sure what happened exactly," he said. "The car just went around on me. I thought there might have been something on the track and Tomas seemed to have had a problem in the same spot. My left ankle is a bit sore from the contact with the wall but the doctors are taking some precautionary X-rays just to be certain. I’m not too worried about it."
- from Indyracing.com

Dosen't sound like anything too bad. Hopefully he'll still get to race

Last edited by Down F0rce; 15 Apr 2004 at 09:41.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 09:44 (Ref:940219)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's the full crash report from the IndyCar website;

Quote:
Injury update

Four cars made contact with the wall in Turn 4 – the wide end of the egg-shaped track – and two drivers were transported by helicopter to Dokkyo University Hospital for X-rays.

Defending IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon and Tomas Scheckter made contact with the wall in separate incidents -- within three seconds of each other -- in the first session. There was heavy damage to the left side of both cars.

Dixon has a hairline (non-displaced) fracture on the tip of the left fibula in the ankle. He will be re-evaluated before the morning practice session.

“I’m not sure what happened exactly,” said Dixon, driver of the No. 1 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Panoz G Force/Toyota/Firestone who was fifth quick in the first session (27.4175 seconds; 199.581 mph).

“The car just went around on me. I thought there might have been something on the track and Tomas seemed to have had a problem in the same spot. My left ankle is a bit sore from the contact with the wall but the doctors are taking some precautionary X-rays just to be certain. I’m not too worried about it.”

Scheckter was checked in the infield care center and took 11 laps in his backup car in the second session.

“They called for the yellow when I was in three and I was on the brakes immediately,” said Scheckter, driver of the No. 4 Pennzoil Panther Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone. “I was just sideways, sideways, sideways. I have no clue what happened. Maybe it was because I was braking because of the yellow and there was something on the track.”

Sam Hornish Jr. and Tora Takagi made contact with the wall late in the second session in separate incidents. Takagi was transported to Dokkyo University Hospital for X-rays to his neck and back. His status for qualifying will be determined today. Hornish was cleared at the infield medical center.

I'm glad there haven't been any serious injuries, and 2004 still looks better - injury-wise - than 2003 did at the same point into the season.

Last edited by rustyfan; 15 Apr 2004 at 09:48.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 09:51 (Ref:940226)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's always a fracture, albeit very small, though.
best wishes to Scott for a quick recovery!
Old 15 Apr 2004, 09:59 (Ref:940239)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
It's always a fracture, albeit very small, though.
best wishes to Scott for a quick recovery!
Obviously, but with 'just' a hairline fracture he might even be able to drive and it shouldn't require surgery either.

Race car drivers are a tough breed, so I think Scott will get behind the wheel again if he feels comfortable and if he's cleared. I mean, Richard Petty once drove several races with a broken neck(!) back in the 70's. Not that they would have let him had he told anyone of course..

Not to mention MotoGP riders have on numerous occasions raced with broken fingers, broken wrists, ankles etc. Then again, those guys are truly crazy...
Old 15 Apr 2004, 10:02 (Ref:940242)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They need to get the SAFER barrier at Motegi...that would have prevented this minor mishap. Hopefully Scott and Tora will still be able to race. Scott probably will. Need more info on Tora though..
Old 15 Apr 2004, 10:29 (Ref:940261)   #7
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
They need to get the SAFER barrier at Motegi...that would have prevented this minor mishap.

Unless the IRL puts some pressure on Motegi to get the SAFER barrier added, I'm afraid it might take a lot longer than it would have had the track been located in the US.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 11:02 (Ref:940295)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Obviously, but with 'just' a hairline fracture he might even be able to drive and it shouldn't require surgery either.
It can be, the only risk is that his ankle may get swollen and slowen foot reaction on the pedals
Old 15 Apr 2004, 23:19 (Ref:941010)   #9
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, Scotty hasn't had the best of luck at Motegi.
Thanks for the update...I've been busy and away from the computer (egads! ), so I'm getting the scoop from practice 1 right now.

Poor Tomas I'm glad that wasn't anything serious.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 00:27 (Ref:941042)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hearing that Tora, was momentarily unconcious, and due to the possibility of a concussion, he will not race according to IRL rules. His back and neck are fine though. Thats got to be a big disappointment to the hometown fans, and me, since he's in my top 5, but better to be safe.

Also there is alot of talk about the track being very dirty. It was a windy day with alot of dust blowing around. This apparently is the only race of the year run there, but you would think it would be in top shape.

Your right MLM, poor Tomas, again a victim through no fault of his own! Good to see you back on the computer, I mean, you act as though you have something better to do!

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Apr 2004, 01:17 (Ref:941058)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
sounds like a crazy day at Motegi.

I hope all drivers are OK and are able to race , But I to think the rules about being knocked state you are not allowed to race that weekend so Tora may not be making the field in his home race
Old 16 Apr 2004, 07:08 (Ref:941177)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
sounds like a crazy day at Motegi.

I hope all drivers are OK and are able to race , But I to think the rules about being knocked state you are not allowed to race that weekend so Tora may not be making the field in his home race
Champ Car has the same policy (or at least had in the past, when they actually did a fair amount of racing on ovals).
Old 16 Apr 2004, 07:31 (Ref:941205)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tora has qualified and will race
Old 16 Apr 2004, 21:54 (Ref:942162)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Great news for Tora , and me as I picked him in my fantasy 5 this weekend thinking he's a long shot on his home track
Old 17 Apr 2004, 09:51 (Ref:942420)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both Scott and Tora raced, and put in good showings. Being able to drive injured is a major factor for anyone hoping to be a champion in a series like this. My respect for Scott has increased further.