Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2004, 10:54 (Ref:983674)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why Dixon, Why?!?!?!?!?!?

This morning I've read reports all over the place that Scott Dixon has signed a 3-year deal to stay with Ganassi in the IRL. While we don't know if there is an 'out' clause should an F1 opportunity arise for Dixon, I still can't figure out why he would be giving up on the F1 option right now...:confused:

Maybe Williams has already told him a race drive next year won't happen. Were there any other teams interested in Dixon? I don't recall hearing about it. But he has already been the IRL champion, and although he hasn't yet won the Indy 500, isn't F1 a bigger deal to him than that one race?

Anyway, as I was pondering all this, an interesting (albeit FAR FETCHED ) thought came to mind... what if Ganassi was considering an F1 team? I know, I know. But if there was anyone in the US that would consider it, he would be among the top candidates. Won championships in CART and the IRL, has a competitive NASCAR operation, has plenty of money and lots of high-profile US sponsors, and the guy is a racer. Maybe with Max's rules proposals, he might actually consider entering F1 with customer equipment...

OK, I know that's kind of la-la land talk, but an interesting thought...

Old 26 May 2004, 10:57 (Ref:983679)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Disappointing news, certainly. I would have liked to have seen Dixon in one of the Williams' next season. But perhaps Chip is offering big money. I suppose Dixon's still young; nicer for him, I guess, to come to Formula 1 in 2007 (to Ferrari..?) with a couple of IRL titles and maybe an Indy 500 win. But, as I say, disappointing.
Old 26 May 2004, 10:59 (Ref:983682)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this means we'll never see Dixon in F1.
Old 26 May 2004, 11:57 (Ref:983752)   #4
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, so I think it's unlikely that he'll ever be in F1. From the reports and rumours at the time of his tests, it really didn't sound like Williams thought he impressed enough. The Barcelona tests in particular (irrespective of weather or tech problems) were the deciding factor. Also, there was an interview in F1 Racing mag recently where Frank Williams mentioned Scott and his particular choice of words made it clear that he wasn't an option for 2005.

I think he's made the right decision, he doesn't have the sponsor support to make him an option for most of the F1 teams. He can have a pretty comfortable life with his IRL racing and the Indy 500 is still a pretty big race in the US, so it's something to aim for.
Old 26 May 2004, 13:08 (Ref:983829)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's signed long-term to Ganassi, but it says nothing about which championship he'll race in. It's quite possible that he'll be switched to NASCAR or even F1 in a couple of years, or that there is an F1 clause in case soemone else become interested.

Remember that the IRL is expanding into running road courses next year,s o he'll ahve further chance to show his credentials. the series can only grow and grow, and it might be better to win ther ethan fail elsewhere, especially as he should ahve 10-15 years left at the top.
Old 26 May 2004, 13:13 (Ref:983840)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyways, as Chip did with JPM, shopuld a new great chance arise in the future, he'll certainly be released.
Old 26 May 2004, 13:49 (Ref:983874)   #7
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/149732-2613-188.html

Don't worry, there is some flexibility!
Old 26 May 2004, 15:22 (Ref:984002)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I think this means we'll never see Dixon in F1.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Anyways, as Chip did with JPM, shopuld a new great chance arise in the future, he'll certainly be released.
Chip had no choice but to release Juan Pablo, he was contracted to Williams.
Old 26 May 2004, 17:13 (Ref:984127)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have said it many times, I don't think Dixon is the best canidate to join Williams and I don't think he's the best canidate of those participating in IRL or CART. Frankly I'm glad this announcement came up because I'm tired of reading posts on it. I never understood why there was so much fan enthusiasm for him to come to F1.
Old 26 May 2004, 18:06 (Ref:984198)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't imagine that driving in circles would be good training for F1; but in the long run, I daresay Dixon decided to be pragmatic and gamble a very large, certain paycheque against serious injury for a few more Oval years, then on to sports cars or wherever else Chip decides to send him. A sensible choice, if you don't mind the risk.
Old 26 May 2004, 18:33 (Ref:984234)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Dixon would make a good F1 driver. He is methodical in approach and fast on the track. In that he reminds me of Ralf Schumacher and Alain Prost. No flash, no smack running, just out there doing the job and winning.

However, its easy to see that the top teams in F1 are not looking for methodical and fast drivers. They are looking for the next M. Schumacher or Ayrton Senna. No time to develop talent, no time for acclimatization, must win today.
Never forget #99
Old 26 May 2004, 19:23 (Ref:984270)   #12
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I think Montoya's overrated, don't get me started on Dixon.....
Old 26 May 2004, 19:28 (Ref:984274)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
According to TV news here last night he has an out clause for an F1 drive.......he'll be there.
Old 26 May 2004, 19:32 (Ref:984278)   #14
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I think this dashes his hopes for an F1 drive next season, if he maintains his current form, there's no ruling him out for future F1 drives, he is only 23 after all!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 26 May 2004, 20:10 (Ref:984329)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He didn't do well at the tests and with Toyota already saying there was no interest, I think he pretty much had no choice. Of course there is an out clause for F1, I'm sure most drivers have those, but will it ever be used, I doubt it. Dixon has the perception in this business that he is not strong on road courses and his results in lights and cart show that. I know he did well in FHolden, but that's not exactly top flight(And I'm not knocking FHolden at all).

F1 these days is so specialized and so much more sophisticated than any other series that IN MOST CASES I really think you need to start as a F1 test driver to learn the ropes.

I agree though that he is still young and things can change fast so you never know.

Also his managers and investors probably are looking to recoup their investment(and rightfully so). So when ganassi offered a fat 3 year deal, they probably bit his hand off. No point in going to Williams at this time for 500k a year and no certain future. Maybe later
Old 26 May 2004, 20:54 (Ref:984392)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While it would have been nice to see an IRL driver go on to F1, for Scotts sake I'm glad this matter is settled. The whole F1 thing seemed to be a distraction for him this year. Both his IRL effort and his IROC effort haven't been up to par IMO, and the last thing you need when driving on high-speed ovals, are distractions.

Danica Patrick
Old 26 May 2004, 21:11 (Ref:984411)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by mountainstar
He didn't do well at the tests
That wasn't the impression I got. The feedback I read about suggested that Dixon had adapted very quickly to the singular demands of an F1 car and that the Williams personnel found the speed of his acclimatisation impressive.
Old 26 May 2004, 21:20 (Ref:984423)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
That wasn't the impression I got. The feedback I read about suggested that Dixon had adapted very quickly to the singular demands of an F1 car and that the Williams personnel found the speed of his acclimatisation impressive.
Yes I heard all of the PR speak too, but my knowledge is that he didn't do well.
Old 26 May 2004, 21:34 (Ref:984441)   #19
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading between the lines, I also had the impression that the tests didn't go as well for Scott as both sides might have hoped. There was an expectation after the first test (Paul Ricard?) that he'd really show his worth at Barcelona, a more useful track for evaluating drivers than Ricard is. It didn't seem to work out, though, irrespective of any technical or weather-related problems he might have had. I remember an article with some comments from Scott on his disappointment about how things had gone.

There are many examples over the past 5 years of drivers testing F1 cars and being able to lap within, say, 1 second of a regular tester. The difficult part, of course, is the last few percentage points of performance. Reading between the lines in the comments from people like Sam Michael and Frank Williams, it didn't sound like Scott Dixon was quite on that level.

However, I'm sure that this won't stop Autosport expecting him to jump into one of the Williams seats at a moments notice .
Old 27 May 2004, 09:28 (Ref:984861)   #20
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Williams drive is definitely off,thats from Dixon himself on TV here tonight.Would seem to suggest there isnt actually a seat there for him,Montoya not leaving and Webber joining he hardly wants to turn up just to be the bum boy.
Maybe he's No 1 driver for a Ganassi-Toyota F1 Team soon to be announced?.
Old 27 May 2004, 09:33 (Ref:984866)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I also think that he did a good job with the time he had in the car.

Those who say he didn't, where is your source from? Williams said: "he has an F1 future"
If not in 2005, then maybe next.

However i think that Williams have bottled it by not going for him. The way i reads the quotes was that they were actually bit surprised that he went so well so early?!

I'm massively disappointed as i really do think he's a star in the making, but Williams reckons it's going for experience next year. I guess that's why Scott isn't getting a seat.
Old 27 May 2004, 09:49 (Ref:984885)   #22
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt it's to do with his performance, but I will guess that WIlliams know that they require two new drivers next season, and would rather have two solid pilots on-board, rather than gamble on a guy who may have proved 'solid' but not neccessarily exceptional form.

I believe it'll be Webber and possibly Pizzonia/Fisi...? I can't see the sense in plumping for JV tho, he's had his time, so go for the Aussie, and then for either Pizz or Fisi. Personally I'd go for the Italian - I think he'd be very quick and solid...
Old 27 May 2004, 10:13 (Ref:984908)   #23
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dixon's goal has always been F1. Nothing else. Right from when he was racing karts. Perhaps Williams are being conservative because they have to take on two new drivers next season, perhaps they want drivers with F1 experience. Perhaps if one of the current Williams drivers was staying on, Dixon might have a better chance. Perhaps he might still be in with a shot at a seat anyway?

From what I've read, the team were both suprised and impressed with both his speed and feedback.

I reckon Dixon's covering his bases. His contract with Ganassi expires at the end of the year. Why risk losing a seat with the top IRL team for an F1 ride that may or may not materialise. I bet there is a clause that allows him out of the contract if an F1 seat comes up. And Ganassi may even make a few bucks from it. Its in Ganassi's best interest to sign Dixon again, so he doesn't go to another IRL team if the F1 thing doesn't happen.

Chip Ganassi and Frank Williams have a good relationship, and of course Toyota run an F1 team, and supply the donk which sits behind Dixon.

I think they're both securing their futures, and Ganassi is unlikely to block Dixon from making a move to F1 if a seat should come up.

For those of us who follow his career, I wouldn't count out Dixon being in F1 soon.
Old 27 May 2004, 18:42 (Ref:985353)   #24
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rather disapointing, but he's taken the pragmatic approach by resigning with TCG and guaranteeing his future. Just hope his insurance policy is up to date for the roundy roundy stuff coz he's already broken and cracked a few bones in his limited time in the IRL; maybe by securing his future he'll concentrate a bit harder on the racing.
Old 27 May 2004, 21:01 (Ref:985462)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Maybe he's No 1 driver for a Ganassi-Toyota F1 Team soon to be announced?.
Now that's a bit of a stretch.