Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Jul 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1669124)   #51
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
TBH about the paddle shifting, didn't Ferrari bring that in in 1990ish? I know everyone likes manual but atleast its semi automatic and its hardly new technolgy...
That isn't the point.

A manual shift just was another one of those things that marked champcars out as "mens" cars. Especially in the days of higher power outputs.

It is a shame to see paddle shift, but it won't ruin anything much.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1669130)   #52
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport.com has some beautiful pictures especially from the side.

I liked how they curved the nose downward from the cockpit. In the original artist rendering it was a straight line to the tip of the nose if I recall. I also like the lines around the cockpit and engine cowling. Just a stunning car. It's the best looking single seat car I've ever seen.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1669132)   #53
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paddle shifting is the way of the future. Even road cars are headed that way. I was just sitting in a Lambo gallardo and 2 different ferraris and they all had paddle shifters.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1669153)   #54
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
That isn't the point.

A manual shift just was another one of those things that marked champcars out as "mens" cars. Especially in the days of higher power outputs.

It is a shame to see paddle shift, but it won't ruin anything much.
I can understand why people prefer shifting with a stick, so do I. But the new car is part of OWRS' new future and they should have some and I say some new technology.
But the point is and as mountainstair said, its the way of the future.

Last edited by luke; 31 Jul 2006 at 18:25.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1669160)   #55
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we did everything by the way of the future, well.......it'd be pretty horrible.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1669335)   #56
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
If we did everything by the way of the future, well.......it'd be pretty horrible.

If we did the opposite, it would look like a model A Ford
Old 31 Jul 2006, 23:27 (Ref:1669470)   #57
Shotteh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Harrow, London
Shotteh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current stick shift system is a foot-to-the-floor whilst shifting sequential system, pull back to change up and push forward to change down, so in that respect its not exactly much more different to a paddle shift, it just looks manlier.

Having said that, I'm sure the gear changes will no doubt be somewhat faster with the new gearbox.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1670642)   #58
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does having paddle shifts vs the sequential system significantly increase driver reaction times?
Old 2 Aug 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1670756)   #59
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it's for America, and they can't seem to get American's into the seats, maybe the idea of the paddle shift is to convince them it's a column shifter - but not with P R N D 1 2 on it.

Thanks to software, I'm sure it could do it!!

I would just LOVE to see more of America's top drivers in both Champcar and IRL.

Like knowsley, I feel that the move to the paddle shift is a move away from driver skill. Flat shift technology takes it away from the driver. Unless they have a "random missed gear program" in the software to add spice and make up for it!

Raised nose - well that's aerodynamics for you.

Bring back multi-manufacturers for both chassis and engine, and make them stock blocks again!

I'll draw the line at bringing back of front engined indy specials though!!

Rob.
(stirring as usual)
Old 2 Aug 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1670888)   #60
Shotteh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Harrow, London
Shotteh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
Does having paddle shifts vs the sequential system significantly increase driver reaction times?
Well I suppose it does slightly, if the car gets away from the driver when he has two hands on the wheel, he will be quicker and in a better position to sort it out, whereas if he only has one hand on the wheel then its slightly harder to correct efficiently.

Also just to clarify, you can't miss a gear with the current gearboxes, so if you want real skill back you need to introduce a good old fashioned H-pattern. \o/
Old 2 Aug 2006, 12:41 (Ref:1670898)   #61
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No difference between a Paddle shift SMG and a floor shift SMG. The shift signal occurs as soon as the electrical connection is made. Paddle shifter may be slightly faster as driver doesn't have to take his hand from the wheel. Still takes about 75 milliseconds from when the shift signal is sent to when gear change actually takes place. The VW DSG by comaprison takes only about 17 milliseconds to upshift, downshifts are similiar to SMG shift time
Old 6 Aug 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1674948)   #62
Prospeked
Rookie

Prospeked should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What will happen to all the current race cars? There might be a few good hill climb cars for sale at the right price!@!@##
Old 6 Aug 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1675732)   #63
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have any of the Champcar drivers tested in the Panoz yet? If so i wonder what all of their opinions are on it (like how different the car rides, etc.)
Old 6 Aug 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1675787)   #64
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nope but I'm sure soon as there isn't many races in september and October. I guess they can't untill they get the cars in November. First batch that is. So they will be testing them in the off season.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1676310)   #65
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Roberto Moreno is doing the testing at road atlanta.
Old 15 Aug 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1683320)   #66
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Car on track. Right now.

edit: fuel cell issues, car will run tomorrow.

Last edited by paul-collins; 15 Aug 2006 at 18:01.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Aug 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1685070)   #67
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news and/or photos of Moreno in action?
Old 17 Aug 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1685091)   #68
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not so far; the fuel cell had to come from California, and so they couldn't get the car ready for yesterday. Today they should be on track, but my source hadn't heard anything before 9 am - and I won't be able to get any info until tonight, now.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Aug 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1685119)   #69
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Paul, you work for Racecar or Racer magazine don't you?
Old 17 Aug 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1685141)   #70
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Nope.

You're not confusing me with Sam (ss_collins) of Race Car Engineering are you?

-Bill James
Old 17 Aug 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1685162)   #71
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Must be. I always got you two mixed up LOL...
Old 17 Aug 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1685455)   #72
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Later this month there shall be a substantial test schedule at Sebring.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1689125)   #73
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Credit to 'Knocker69' who posted this at CW/CCF:

Old 22 Aug 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1689137)   #74
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmmNIIICCEEE!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 22 Aug 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1689185)   #75
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's enough to leave you breathless.