Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Dec 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1788137)   #1
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bourdais to test for Toro Roso

www.pitpass.com Reports three day test for Seb at Jerez.
NH says OK!
Old 11 Dec 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1788140)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news for Bourdais. I'm sure he'll do all he can to impress, and I'm sure he will!
Old 11 Dec 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1788143)   #3
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Speed to Champcar?!
Old 11 Dec 2006, 17:37 (Ref:1788148)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Possibly. Wouldn't mind that!
Old 11 Dec 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1788154)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having Speed and Rahal in CC's top team would make some people pretty happy.
Though I am sure some would still be disgruntled
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 12 Dec 2006, 00:36 (Ref:1788507)   #6
nciko1
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
nciko1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Bourdais committed to NH for '07? Just trying to figure out what happens if he is in fact offered a Toro Rosso seat.

Nick
Old 12 Dec 2006, 01:34 (Ref:1788537)   #7
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's simple really. NH and Red Bull get together and decide how much Bourdais' contract is worth in Champ Car for '07. Some money changes hands and bingo Torro Rosso has a driver. Another alternative is that NH keeps his contract (it may have options I don't know about) and in essence rents Bourdais to Torro Rosso. In the event he does well the value of those option years, if any, goes up. If he sucks in F1 they get him back at previously negotiated terms.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 01:47 (Ref:1788541)   #8
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am very happy for Bourdais. I'd be also equally pleased if it meant Scott Speed entter CCWS.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 02:05 (Ref:1788550)   #9
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... I don't think that Bourdais feels like running the next years at the back of the field...
Old 12 Dec 2006, 02:30 (Ref:1788559)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think we have the cart before the horse here. Before anyone engineers a swap of Speed for Bourdais, keep in mind that Red Bull is supporting moving AJ (a Red Bull driver) to NASCAR leaving CC behind. I do not think that for Red Bull there is an upside to that (swapping Bourdais for Speed) as Bernie does want an American in F1.

Further, Bourdais has siad, repeatedly, he wants a competetive ride in F1 nor does he want a test drive. That being said, test drives are at times paid for to get a driver some exposure. Perhaps this is the case - Bourdais is trying to get his foot in the door the best way he can.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1788789)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Before anyone engineers a swap of Speed for Bourdais, keep in mind that Red Bull is supporting moving AJ (a Red Bull driver) to NASCAR leaving CC behind.
Yet also sponsoring a CC and FA team.

That said the current situation isnt making a whole heap of sense at the moment.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1788931)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
It isn't but Torro Rosso do have potential, who knows that could be a good team long term, and I'm sure with how much Seb wants to make it into Formula 1, its worth it. Only he knows that...
Old 12 Dec 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1788994)   #13
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As mentioned in the F1 thread, if he does indeed go well in this test, bag a drive and outperform his team-mate then with DC on a one-year deal the potential for a seriously competitive drive in 08 with RBR could be on the cards...
Old 12 Dec 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1789041)   #14
norman-normal
Veteran

Toro Rosso is conducting the test, but it may be for a Red bull seat. That would be a better fit and would make more sense. IMO
Old 12 Dec 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1789146)   #15
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Torro Rosso is also looking for a pay driver. But they are giving SB a serious look it appears. SB will have to think hard, he would be running for his 4th consecutive championship in an entirely new ride. Some things he must chew on if he is offered a seat.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 01:37 (Ref:1789444)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
RBR is set with Webber and Coulthard. It is Toro Rosso that is not set with Speed and Liuzzi having occupied the seats last season.

If SB can scare up some cash, who knows?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 01:46 (Ref:1789448)   #17
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would hope that Seabass, as much as I am not a fan of him personally, would not have to resort to buying his way into F1.

Here's hoping a good test sparks some more interest in him
Old 13 Dec 2006, 03:20 (Ref:1789504)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
RBR is set with Webber and Coulthard.
This is DC's final year of the current contract, is it not ?
Old 13 Dec 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1789701)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I believe that it may be, however, he is not retiring before this season and SB says he wants no part of a test role. Further, DC still is driving well so he could well continue beyond 2007.

It would appear then, that the only race seats in play are the Toro Rosso seats.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1789782)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

A test role that leads to an F1 drive is something SB said he would be interested in though
Old 13 Dec 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1789985)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems quiet often that CC drivers have exit clauses in their contracts, I've read several times that Bourdais has such a clause if he were to receive an F1 race drive. Bourdais has stated that he doesn't want to be a tester, but it sounds like he be one if there was a gaurentied race drive after a year.

While Bourdais is an incredible talent, he doesn't exactly have much more to accomplish in this series. He has had little difficulty in winning his three titles. At least if he was consistantly challanged as he was by AJ at points in 2006, he would have a reason to stay in CC. At this point if he was offered a "B" or "C" F1 team seat, I wouldn't blame him for taking it. IMO a few years ago it would only have made sense if he had an "A" team offer. At this point I'm not sure that he's an asset to CC. He's not a popular figure and he steamrolls over everyone else.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1790017)   #22
norman-normal
Veteran

Compared to F-1, Champ Cars are much more a drivers car, this will become much more evident in April when Las Vegas initiates the first standing start for Champ Cars.

It will be interesting to see if Seb has a reaction.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1790064)   #23
norman-normal
Veteran

Todays test Jerez: Liuzzi 1:21.843
Bourdais 1:22.521
Old 13 Dec 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1790103)   #24
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1st day. If he is still slower by the 3rd day- Hasta la vista. That is also why Marco does not have a fair shot with just one day. Now if Marco is really fast!!!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1790183)   #25
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't worry about Marco, as long as Honda loves him he will get plenty of days

Bourdais did a good job for a first day