Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Oct 2006, 00:01 (Ref:1734641)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Super Best Friends?

Why is the Super Aguri F1 team called this by Steve Matchett, anyone have any insightful insight(lol) into this comment?
Old 11 Oct 2006, 01:49 (Ref:1734675)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
beauces Super Aguri is a stupid name. Also, Honda helped SA get started. SA in turn gave Sato a seat, which saved some face in Japan where they weren't too impressed that Rubens had taken Sato's seat.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1734700)   #3
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Because Aguri Suzuki thought if he made it 'Super' it would go faster.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Oct 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1734956)   #4
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expect Stupid Aguri to be MUCH quicker next year, honda 007 chassis may put them ahead of Spyker, Torro Rosso and Williams.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1734962)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Honda chassis may put the team ahead of Spyker and Torro Rosso but I would be very suprised if it put them ahead of Williams. The Williams has shown a good turn of speed this year in qualifying with Webber getting 6th place in qualifying for Hungary and Rosberg qualifying 10th for the Japaneese GP. They just need to work out how to get the cars to the end of the race, and inside the points.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1735156)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams could be in a terminal downward spiral though, much as I hope I'm wrong.

I think the point Matchett is making is that they are largely a Honda B team, set up to keep Taku in F1 for purely marketing/financial reasons.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1735176)   #7
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their was an episode of South Park about the super best friends pretty long stretch tho.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1735197)   #8
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, he couldn't actually use the phrase "Superfriends" (remember that really cheesy cartoon with loads of superheroes teaming up), so that was the closest thing I guess.

I always prefer saying the name with my arms crossed in an X shape, usually followed by "Form of.....car"
Old 11 Oct 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1735281)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
personally i thought it was just Mr. Matchett and Mr. Hobbs taking a dig a Japanese culture in the vein of some type of take off on Japanese toys/marketing like mega morphing power rangers or super happy fun times etc.
i thought it rather clever, but i have a way of missing the point about things like this
Old 11 Oct 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1735338)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Their was an episode of South Park about the super best friends pretty long stretch tho.
That's what sprung to my mind too...I wouldn't be surprised actually!
Old 11 Oct 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1735348)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
The Honda chassis may put the team ahead of Spyker and Torro Rosso but I would be very suprised if it put them ahead of Williams.
Torro Rosso could be ahead of more teams than you might think,next year.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 16:09 (Ref:1735352)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They could be sharing up to date cars with RBR if all is cleared. Four Newey designs on one grid, oh my god.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1735367)   #13
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
They could be sharing up to date cars with RBR if all is cleared. Four Newey designs on one grid, oh my god.
I forgot about that, ohhhhh, its quite exciting, 4 Newey designed cars, 2 with Ferrari power and 2 with Renault.

If Stupid Aguri get more support from Honda i would be suppirsed at see Antony Davidson at least racing against the Willaiams, and Sato colliding with them occasionally.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1735494)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The name is totally ridiculous, I love the sarcasm of the Speed Team. Varsha and Hobbes are just as relentless.

I've always called them Super Duper Aguri.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1735703)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well if they dropped the "Super" part of the name, I think that Aguri Formula1 sounds quite good.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 00:01 (Ref:1735704)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why cant they just call themselves 'Honda 2'
Old 12 Oct 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1736343)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I like Super Aguri as a name. It is fun, in some strange way. It is very Japanese in its use of words and that just gives the team an even more Japanese character for me.

But yes, it is ridiculous.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1736402)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I like Super Aguri as a name. It is fun, in some strange way. It is very Japanese in its use of words and that just gives the team an even more Japanese character for me.

I can see the "Engrish" language sweatshirts now:

SUPER AGURI Formula 1
TEAM

World Cup Championship Motors Sport Bowling League

Let's be Friends, Okay
Old 12 Oct 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1736645)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Well at least it makes more sense than "Body feels EXIT" a single from a former member of "SUPER MONKEY'S", a band of JPop (??) I fear to say...
Old 12 Oct 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1736667)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only one who likes Super Aguri as a name?

After all, there have been way worse names in F1 history.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1736669)   #21
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I personally love the name, way better than something like Ligier or Larousse, lol.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1737137)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
Am I the only one who likes Super Aguri as a name?
Hello, I'm here!

It's a nice name. Better than Onyx-Moneytron.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1737147)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's wrong with that one ???
Old 13 Oct 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1737384)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrea Moda was a ridiculous name for a team... but like the Monteverdi or Midland organisations, it was an exisiting name for a business...

I prefer Super Aguri because it gives a twist to the traditional name... it is usually Williams, McLaren, it's not Super Williams...
Old 13 Oct 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1737396)   #25
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
it's not Super Williams...
Now that's funny!