Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Jan 2020, 21:00 (Ref:3949938)   #26
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Woo hoo that’s cheered me up .Two wheels in the air attacking chicane. I was lapping the car in front . That must of been in Qualy as we were P5 overall and P1 in class but the owner asked me to have one more go at trying to get further up the grid . “ I didn’t “.. Never mind only a few more sleeps and South Africa here we come . I’m itching to get back behind the wheel . Thanks for heads up .👍
Old 5 Jan 2020, 21:22 (Ref:3949942)   #27
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thats a great pic Iain. Good luck in SA, and sorry wont be seeing you at PI this year.
Old 12 Jan 2020, 17:43 (Ref:3951232)   #28
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry P View Post
Thanks for the info, have looked and booked as you suggested, managed to get a great couple of single seat positions. Really looking forward to watching these classics around Monaco.
You mentioned that you are hoping to do some photography.
I was in Grandstand K1 at two previous events and there are opportunities. Attached from 2018, taken with an old bridge camera.

Hope you have an enjoyable visit.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1185.jpg   DSCN1236.jpg  
Old 12 Jan 2020, 17:48 (Ref:3951233)   #29
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Woo hoo that’s cheered me up .Two wheels in the air attacking chicane. I was lapping the car in front . That must of been in Qualy as we were P5 overall and P1 in class but the owner asked me to have one more go at trying to get further up the grid . “ I didn’t “.. Never mind only a few more sleeps and South Africa here we come . I’m itching to get back behind the wheel . Thanks for heads up .👍
Not only the lead picture on the ACM website, lead car on the ACM marketing
e-mail I received recently, for the 1500 Euro spectator hospitality package!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Monaco Hitorique hospitality 2020.pdf (1.80 MB, 22 views)
Old 12 Jan 2020, 18:59 (Ref:3951241)   #30
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for heads up Malcomb . Can anyone remove the block that comes up on the photo . It’s a great pic I would love upload . Thanks

Last edited by delta; 12 Jan 2020 at 19:08.
Old 12 Jan 2020, 20:17 (Ref:3951246)   #31
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks for heads up Malcomb . Can anyone remove the block that comes up on the photo . It’s a great pic I would love upload . Thanks
Check your emails Iain.
Old 13 Jan 2020, 06:08 (Ref:3951312)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Sounds like E.B has sorted for you, Boss, but here’s an iPad edit in case....
Attached Thumbnails
D3B1F642-2E59-4301-B5AD-853FF0BCFB7B.jpeg  
Old 13 Jan 2020, 07:06 (Ref:3951317)   #33
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Thanks Chris and Mike .
Old 19 Feb 2020, 23:28 (Ref:3958617)   #34
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry is online here https://acm.mc/en/edition/grand-prix...-2020/entries/

Entry that sticks out is Rene Arnoux in a Ferrari B3.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 10:36 (Ref:3958693)   #35
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also noticed Pastor Maldonado in an earlier category. But certainly not as interesting as the Arnoux/Ferrari combo.
Old 20 Feb 2020, 14:50 (Ref:3958759)   #36
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
wow !

Monaco used to be oversubscribed a few years ago
one entered, crossed fingers and prayed...
they certainly could afford to be very picky

now entries are down significantly

only 19 cars in serie E (early 3 litre F1s), thats very very low
a little more than half full

and 28 cars in serie D (1,5 litre cars) isnt fully booked either
about 4 grid spots not taken up
and out of those 28 cars, one is a Brabham BT2 Ford (Formula Junior chassis), something like that normally would not get even an entry into an HGPCA race

is the bubble bursting in historic racing ??
or is just folks like me growing older and less young blood coming in ?

I enjoyed immensely when I did it
But for me, 4 times was enough

Several pukka F1 drivers entered besides Arnoux
Jonny Carwash (Giovanni Lavaggi)
Alex Caffi

some notable pro drivers
Werner

RuE
Old 20 Feb 2020, 15:16 (Ref:3958764)   #37
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I got dropped to drive Assagai .Guess what they did not get in . Must be the driver .
Old 20 Feb 2020, 17:20 (Ref:3958788)   #38
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I got dropped to drive Assagai .Guess what they did not get in . Must be the driver .
Ian,
I dont think its You......
neither Your winning personality, nor Your individual spelling

It has been said the ACM is trying to make the event purer.
They are supposedly not keen at all on cars that never went there in period if possible.
This seems to be the reason why the South African Grand Prix cars such as the LDS and the Assegai have not been invited.
On the other hand, we have the BT2 which puzzles me... (it has been entered by a Frenchie, that might a clue)

And both the pre war and the sports car grid, again sport stuff that has no connection with Monaco and isnt really a proper representative of its class or the relevant era either, so not pure, more scrape of the barrel

RuE
Old 20 Feb 2020, 17:26 (Ref:3958789)   #39
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Like you Rue . Been lucky to of raced 4 times . Got invite to drive same weekend at Dijon .Much more fun and I can get out on my bike as well .
Old 20 Feb 2020, 18:31 (Ref:3958804)   #40
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
But how do you explain that here are two cars on the official poster, one being the Assegai driven by Iain?
Old 20 Feb 2020, 20:29 (Ref:3958837)   #41
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
But how do you explain that here are two cars on the official poster, one being the Assegai driven by Iain?

Veeeery good point, Gerard.....
Old 20 Feb 2020, 22:56 (Ref:3958876)   #42
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1962 Jo Schlesser raced a Brabham BT2 chassis BT2-5-62 in Formula Junior. For 1963 a 1500cc Ford engine was fitted and Schlesser competed in several non-championship Formula One races. As far as I'm aware it didn't compete in any World Championship races.

Fast forward to the present day and this BT2 has been rebuilt and appeared in the 2018 Monaco Historic GP as well as some HGPCA races with a 1500cc Ford engine. Now driven by Philippe Bonny I believe it's description is directly above your BT2, Rudolf, on Allen Brown's Old Racing Cars website.
Old 21 Feb 2020, 00:04 (Ref:3958891)   #43
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Monaco 49 years ago.

Some interesting people to be seen and some interesting Health and Safety aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsLLLimG0R4
Old 21 Feb 2020, 13:45 (Ref:3959016)   #44
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
In 1962 Jo Schlesser raced a Brabham BT2 chassis BT2-5-62 in Formula Junior. For 1963 a 1500cc Ford engine was fitted and Schlesser competed in several non-championship Formula One races. As far as I'm aware it didn't compete in any World Championship races.

Fast forward to the present day and this BT2 has been rebuilt and appeared in the 2018 Monaco Historic GP as well as some HGPCA races with a 1500cc Ford engine. Now driven by Philippe Bonny I believe it's description is directly above your BT2, Rudolf, on Allen Brown's Old Racing Cars website.

Thanx for looking that up..
It had to be something like that..

Just for the record, I sold my BT2 a while ago, am back in a 22

Fascinating how things change in historic racing
a friend of mine used to own a Lotus 22 with a similar history to the above BT2
that particular Lotus 22 was fitted with 1500 engine and did some F1 races
HGPCA would not let him in at the time, no way

so my own experiences from 10 years ago are becoming dated and obsolete
thats what growing old is like

in all fairness
to let the BT2 in and not the Assegai is a fascinating decision

thankfully I am not involved anymore

I still marvel at the slim grids at Monaco this year though

I can understand that 3 grids of 3 litre F1 cars are bit hard to fill, especially for the earliest post 66 grid as these cars have little chances to play competitively elsewhere.
Something with a DFV in the back, that needs regular crack testing will always be expensive to run, so not for everybody

I understand the problem with the pre war GP grid as a significant portion of eligble cars sits in the Mercedes Museum and wont see the light of day again. Most Auto Unions from that period were lost in the USSR and the few that survived are too valuable to race. that means that nearly half the cars that actually raced in the 1930ies wont ever be entered. It is great to see some 37A Bugs as they made up a large part of the very early grids in 1929.
Type 51 and 59 Bugs are around, but beeing worth 7 figures apparently in collectors hands, not to be raced in anger. This is how the grids ends up getting filled with Frazer Nashes.

But having less then 30 cars from the 1,5 litre formula at Monaco is really a remarkable change

RuE
Old 21 Feb 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3959025)   #45
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
hmmm....

two cars with an entry for Monaco are beeing offered on Racecarsdirect
ATS HS1 and a Cooper, by the same French seller

wording is a bit hazy as to whether the sale is meant to happen before or after the event

RuE
Old 21 Feb 2020, 16:32 (Ref:3959051)   #46
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes puzzling to say the least… Two ATS are entered, the one you mention should be driven by Ch Perrier. First thought is it will be for sale after the race.
Did you have a look to all the Cooper pics? Iain at wheel?
If you can say "croissants" and "Assegai" in french, the last is for sale!
Old 4 Mar 2020, 10:21 (Ref:3961460)   #47
mawds21
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
mawds21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My missus suggested the same (her dad has a car entered) so we're doing an organised tour with these guys - www.grandprixgrandtours.com. looks pretty cheap, think they're struggling to shift the tickets.

Corona virus probably not helping. wonder how many empty grandstand we'll see on the telly this year
Old 18 Mar 2020, 16:03 (Ref:3965280)   #48
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
this the latest official info from the ACM

its a nearly a week old
which is an eternity nowadays

https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/12/...avirus-threat/

they have started to construct the circuit and for the moment assume that both events, the regular GP and the GP Historique will take place

The F1 GP is near end of May, there might be a slim chance

the Historic GP is two weeks earlier
usually the curtain raiser
Cant see that this will work out

RuE
Old 18 Mar 2020, 17:08 (Ref:3965334)   #49
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Rudernst;3965280]this the latest official info from the ACM

its a nearly a week old
which is an eternity nowadays

https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/12/...avirus-threat/

they have started to construct the circuit and for the moment assume that both events, the regular GP and the GP Historique will take place

The F1 GP is near end of May, there might be a slim chance

the Historic GP is two weeks earlier
usually the curtain raiser
Cant see that this will work

I wonder if they can't run it two weeks before but run the GP could they run it two weeks after?
Old 18 Mar 2020, 17:16 (Ref:3965343)   #50
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Cant see that this will work
All the difference between what they want/ wish and the reality, Rudolf.