Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 May 2022, 20:46 (Ref:4109477)   #2726
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't believe Channel 4 haven't got the highlights programme up on 4OD yet! What a way to lose revenue and, most importantly of course, also shaft the viewers.
Old 9 May 2022, 23:36 (Ref:4109484)   #2727
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I also felt use of the helicopter was restricted, especially given aircraft towing banners circling the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Was it a safety thing, or that they helicopter shots would inadvertently give the banners more eyeballs than they deserved so they decided to not use them? Was the banners just commercial ads or political?

Richard
Looking back at FR24 during the build up to and through the race, it looked to be a relatively small, restricted zone, around the venue. In addition to the banner towing aircraft, there was also a Dade County police helicopter, pulling similar sized circles.

If I was to guess, I'd say the local ATC may have given the TV Helicopter a restricted "block of airspace" to work in, and so limited the types of shots.
For example, It would make it difficult for the type of shot we see regularly in F1 where the pilot takes a big sweep away from the circuit and then "runs in" picking up speed, to time a tracking shot down a straight, or through sweeping corners ... possible but perhaps not freely available to the director compared to other circuits, where the helicopter has a larger operating area around the venue.

I don't think the content of the banners was factor, as they were operating outside that zone, and to be read, it would have needed a cameraman to specifically zoom in on them.
Old 10 May 2022, 00:47 (Ref:4109487)   #2728
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I knew the name... man was he awful......
On a good day he could pull out a decent result.
Old 10 May 2022, 02:43 (Ref:4109490)   #2729
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Looking back at FR24 during the build up to and through the race, it looked to be a relatively small, restricted zone, around the venue. In addition to the banner towing aircraft, there was also a Dade County police helicopter, pulling similar sized circles.

If I was to guess, I'd say the local ATC may have given the TV Helicopter a restricted "block of airspace" to work in, and so limited the types of shots.
For example, It would make it difficult for the type of shot we see regularly in F1 where the pilot takes a big sweep away from the circuit and then "runs in" picking up speed, to time a tracking shot down a straight, or through sweeping corners ... possible but perhaps not freely available to the director compared to other circuits, where the helicopter has a larger operating area around the venue.

I don't think the content of the banners was factor, as they were operating outside that zone, and to be read, it would have needed a cameraman to specifically zoom in on them.
Interesting. I did look at an online site that allows a replay of ADS-B data from aircraft and I can see 3x banner aircraft early in the day much closer to the track and then eventually two Miami Dade police aircraft (one helicopter and one plane) running orbits around about where the banner aircraft were earlier and then I can see the broadcast helicopter (looks like it was a contract helicopter for aerial media out of Georgia) running over the circuit, but inside the orbits of the police aircraft. The track for the broadcast helicopter was pretty tight over the circuit. So maybe they didn't have much room to use as you say.

Miami Dade Police Airplane

Miami Dade Police Helicopter

F1 Helicopter

Richard
Old 10 May 2022, 05:32 (Ref:4109498)   #2730
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Can't believe Channel 4 haven't got the highlights programme up on 4OD yet! What a way to lose revenue and, most importantly of course, also shaft the viewers.
It's there now - but I emailed C4 yesterday to ask where it was!
Old 10 May 2022, 07:35 (Ref:4109501)   #2731
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why don't they use drones which are able to maintain a much lower altitude, therefore not interfering with any other craft, such as the police?
Old 10 May 2022, 09:44 (Ref:4109510)   #2732
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Why don't they use drones which are able to maintain a much lower altitude, therefore not interfering with any other craft, such as the police?
There are lots of local laws surrounding drone use around events, even broadcast drones. Local ATC would still have to allocate a block of airspace.

Also memories are long of the drone crashing during the skiing event a few years back, that just missed the skier. Imagine a drone failing and crashing either into the crowd, or onto onto the track in front of a car doing 200+ mph
Old 10 May 2022, 09:49 (Ref:4109511)   #2733
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Exactly my thoughts at the time too.
Me too. I actually felt embarrassed for the guy.....
Old 10 May 2022, 09:50 (Ref:4109512)   #2734
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
No doubt, but not the point I was making.....
Old 11 May 2022, 15:35 (Ref:4109671)   #2735
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
In a good day - that were many in Transam - he blew everyone away. Did OK in UK FF1600 aswell
Old 21 May 2022, 16:19 (Ref:4110814)   #2736
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Quote:
There are lots of local laws surrounding drone use around events, even broadcast drones. Local ATC would still have to allocate a block of airspace.

Also memories are long of the drone crashing during the skiing event a few years back, that just missed the skier. Imagine a drone failing and crashing either into the crowd, or onto onto the track in front of a car doing 200+ mph
Really surprised to see that FOM were using a drone in the coverage in Spain this weekend.
Interesting that it’s camera appeared to be either fixed or limited movement, and so relied on the movement of the drone.
The result for me was several “sea sick/ vertigo” moments where the drone wobbled in a turn to follow cars as opposed to the camera rotating.
Old 23 May 2022, 07:37 (Ref:4110983)   #2737
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Still, I was pleased to see them use it. The potential for some great shots is clearly there....
Old 23 May 2022, 11:45 (Ref:4111022)   #2738
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I liked the shots from the drone, especially when it banked as the cars were cornering. I hope they use it more often. It would be great at Silverstone, with all that open space.
Old 23 May 2022, 12:17 (Ref:4111032)   #2739
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I liked the shots from the drone, especially when it banked as the cars were cornering. I hope they use it more often. It would be great at Silverstone, with all that open space.
It'll be a very challenging thing to have a commercial-type drone filming at Silverstone, given the enormous number of helicopter movements that take place over the course of a GP weekend. They've definitely used one on the Hamilton Straight before, but kept it below the top of the grandstands for crowd tracking shots (in the main) and not when cars have been on track.

I've been wrong before though!
Old 23 May 2022, 12:23 (Ref:4111035)   #2740
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It'll be a very challenging thing to have a commercial-type drone filming at Silverstone, given the enormous number of helicopter movements that take place over the course of a GP weekend. They've definitely used one on the Hamilton Straight before, but kept it below the top of the grandstands for crowd tracking shots (in the main) and not when cars have been on track.

IIRC, didn't some drivers say that the shadow on the track was distracting?
Old 23 May 2022, 14:04 (Ref:4111043)   #2741
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

If not Silverstone, then Austria I think could be quite spectacular. Paul Ricard is flat, with lots of space but all those coloured lines might induce nausea.
Old 23 May 2022, 17:38 (Ref:4111075)   #2742
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Oh please!….
Old 24 May 2022, 11:44 (Ref:4111141)   #2743
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's potential in this drone. If it were smoother, it could track the cars through a sequence of corners and allow you to watch their relative lines and pace in a similar way to an onboard, but it needs to be more stable. It reminded me a bit of that sort of tracking shot you get at Silverstone, but with more utility.

On a different note, I'm very happy with Alex Jacques. Now he's bedded into the role, I find him very good - knowledge-wise, unobtrusiveness (contrary to what we sometimes said at the beginning) and just generally a good Ben Edwards-esque replacement. He might not be Ben Edwards for some people, but I find he does a fine job and reminds me of him.
Old 24 May 2022, 12:48 (Ref:4111145)   #2744
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I searched and can't find any reports on this. Where did you hear this? Given the altitude they were shown flying at, I think it would be hard to imagine they would even notice. I think the helicopter would be much more distracting... if distracting at all.

Quote:
Really surprised to see that FOM were using a drone in the coverage in Spain this weekend.
Interesting that it’s camera appeared to be either fixed or limited movement, and so relied on the movement of the drone.
The result for me was several “sea sick/ vertigo” moments where the drone wobbled in a turn to follow cars as opposed to the camera rotating.
I am also surprised they are not using a gimbled camera. I would think a four axis gimble would remove most of the vertigo moments. Particularly the rolling banking maneuvers. I wonder if there is an issue with finding a combo that is...

1. Fast enough to generally keep up with the cars (outside of small racing drones, aren't they generally, really not that fast?)
2. Has the endurance to stay up long enough to be useful (do you want to be swapping out drones every 20 minutes or so or whatever their battery life is?)
3. Can mount a 3/4 axis gimbled camera system with associated broadcast equipment (heavy?)

Maybe all three together in one package might be a challenge?

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 24 May 2022 at 13:01.
Old 24 May 2022, 13:07 (Ref:4111147)   #2745
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I searched and can't find any reports on this. Where did you hear this? Given the altitude they were shown flying at, I think it would be hard to imagine they would even notice. I think the helicopter would be much more distracting... if distracting at all.
I'm struggling to find where I read this - but I have found the following quote from Silverstone:

"We only ever allow pre-approved drone operators at the Circuit who adhere to a strict accreditation process. Not only is a drone a significant distraction to the drivers on the track, but the circuit has its own heliport and therefore airspace over the venue also has to be taken into consideration, particularly at the Grand Prix when the volume of air traffic is significant.

Silverstone is therefore currently considering its options with regard to drone defence at the British Grand Prix. Regarding the use of nets, I cannot confirm whether this is a method that a drone defender would use.”

I have also read some of the drone crews working with FE teams, and they have certain criteria such as being behind cars for tracking only. They have recognised that the shadow of a drone and the drone itself can cause distractions, so they have to factor all of this in when planning their broadcasts.

Searching for Shadow in relation to F1 comes up with different responses .
Old 24 May 2022, 17:38 (Ref:4111187)   #2746
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I'm struggling to find where I read this - but I have found the following quote from Silverstone:

"We only ever allow pre-approved drone operators at the Circuit who adhere to a strict accreditation process. Not only is a drone a significant distraction to the drivers on the track, but the circuit has its own heliport and therefore airspace over the venue also has to be taken into consideration, particularly at the Grand Prix when the volume of air traffic is significant.

Silverstone is therefore currently considering its options with regard to drone defence at the British Grand Prix. Regarding the use of nets, I cannot confirm whether this is a method that a drone defender would use.”

I have also read some of the drone crews working with FE teams, and they have certain criteria such as being behind cars for tracking only. They have recognised that the shadow of a drone and the drone itself can cause distractions, so they have to factor all of this in when planning their broadcasts.

Searching for Shadow in relation to F1 comes up with different responses .
It sounds like some of the common reasoning as to why circuits don't allow usage of drones. And if you have them down close the the cars, they could be a problem. But I think if used in a similar way as the helicopters it could work.

And yeah... F1 Shadow might bring back unexpected (or expected!) results.

Richard
Old 24 May 2022, 21:02 (Ref:4111204)   #2747
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I believe from the distant glimpse of the drone and dare I say it's shadow, it appeared to be a "simple quad rotor drone", in the style of the DJI Mavic 3 or similar.

To begin to reach the type of coverage that a helicopter mounted fully gimballed camera set up you'd need to be looking for some this DJI Matrice 600 but that is a larger drone to have a low level and would be more visible to drivers.
Old 19 Jun 2022, 07:55 (Ref:4116297)   #2748
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not happy with Sky this morning, Tuned in to watch gthe highlights of quali this morning and half way through they have an advert for sky spot F1 which announces that max and fernado will be on the front row of the grid for the race. What sort of idiot made that mistake, i hope they are asked to see the stewards.
Old 19 Jun 2022, 08:24 (Ref:4116298)   #2749
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I have heard Crofty really challenged Horner on his contradiction regarding the budget cap and porpoising. Anyone see the interview?
Old 19 Jun 2022, 08:46 (Ref:4116300)   #2750
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I have heard Crofty really challenged Horner on his contradiction regarding the budget cap and porpoising. Anyone see the interview?
It was during one of the sessions (Q I think but don't hold me to that). Horner explained the difference quite clearly and made sense, Crofty tried to keep going with it but failed in the logic department.

Horner's point? Porpoising or bouncing is due to car designs that the teams have control over and can change. High inflationary rate is impacted on teams' budgets and is something that they can't influence or control.

Tags
pinks