Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Mar 2020, 15:16 (Ref:3962327)   #726
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
So there I was, towelling myself down in the gym changing room when who should walk in but Peter Baldwin. Didn't realise he was a local.
Haven,t seen him for many years .He had a rolling road at Wests Garage Cambridge , then moved on to a garage at Wimpole? , south of Cambridge .
Last I heard he had finished with that one , but might be helping out at another rolling road business which had places at Cambridge & Lincoln .
Old 8 Mar 2020, 15:23 (Ref:3962328)   #727
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll ask next time I see him.
Old 8 Mar 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3962330)   #728
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Haven,t seen him for many years .He had a rolling road at Wests Garage Cambridge , then moved on to a garage at Wimpole? , south of Cambridge .
Last I heard he had finished with that one , but might be helping out at another rolling road business which had places at Cambridge & Lincoln .

Just been thinking . It was 1984 when he did a rolling road set up on my Gp A RS 2000 , which was when I first met him .

Doesn,t time fly .
Old 8 Mar 2020, 16:12 (Ref:3962333)   #729
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Delta will know where Pete is doing his tuning now. Supposedly ‘part time’ but not at the previous location.
Old 8 Mar 2020, 17:57 (Ref:3962349)   #730
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Delta will know where Pete is doing his tuning now. Supposedly ‘part time’ but not at the previous location.
Pete Baldwin must surely be getting on a bit now - he was racing Minis when I was still at school!
Old 8 Mar 2020, 18:47 (Ref:3962360)   #731
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes but we still share a grid occasionally.
Old 8 Mar 2020, 20:20 (Ref:3962368)   #732
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Pete in the Gym . Yes late 70’s now but just the greatest engine tuner I know .We call him God . You turn up at the rolling road with engine all over place and Pete rest his hands on the carbs and the engine is as sweet as a nut . He helps out at Jon Lee rolling road couple of days a week. He still races with Graham Churchill in Historic’s and will run his Miglia for right driver with a budget . To sum up a really top bloke .
Old 8 Mar 2020, 21:37 (Ref:3962380)   #733
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup top bloke.
Old 9 Mar 2020, 11:21 (Ref:3962447)   #734
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'll second that, he's successfully set up a fair few of my engines that headed north, so have spoken to him on the phone many a time.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 11:01 (Ref:3962724)   #735
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last years info was that Peter was working out of Regency Autos', Cambridge

01223 324050 and going strong.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 11:33 (Ref:3962729)   #736
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko View Post
Last years info was that Peter was working out of Regency Autos', Cambridge

01223 324050 and going strong.
...but as Delta said above, he's now at Jon Lee's (Lynx in Wellingborough).
Old 10 Mar 2020, 12:05 (Ref:3962736)   #737
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I am considering turning mine into a 'rally' car so I might actually use it, then sell the road car and waste it on another rickenbacker or a LAmbretta

trouble is it seems like a waste of time trouble and money to do anything to it having just repaired/restored and got it bang on the money as far as legality and weight/performance are concerned.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 08:30 (Ref:3962975)   #738
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rolling road, then a great breakfast Iain. Good days🤗
Old 11 Mar 2020, 12:02 (Ref:3963027)   #739
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Rolling road, then a great breakfast Iain. Good days🤗
It was always slap up dinner at Little Chef Tel."happy days".Ah man I can see those blackberry pancakes now. Mallory tomorrow but sadly the cafe is not what it used to be.Castle Combe is in the lead with that.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 12:05 (Ref:3963028)   #740
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Team Delta are testing a young up and coming new driver.,"if we can get him to fit the car". Also an"well past it racing driver ".Should be good day.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3963085)   #741
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Team Delta are testing a young up and coming new driver.,"if we can get him to fit the car". Also an"well past it racing driver ".Should be good day.
Did I hear my name ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Mar 2020, 16:18 (Ref:3963088)   #742
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry they didn't keep you at Cirque du Soleil, Gordon……
Old 11 Mar 2020, 16:43 (Ref:3963093)   #743
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I am considering turning mine into a 'rally' car so I might actually use it, then sell the road car and waste it on another rickenbacker or a LAmbretta
Might a Rickenbacker awaiting a truss rod repair be of interest?
(does have some history, ex-Gary Glitter band!!).
Old 11 Mar 2020, 17:12 (Ref:3963100)   #744
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Sorry they didn't keep you at Cirque du Soleil, Gordon……
Actually we didn't go in the end being of a certain age, also my wife hasn't been too well since we came back from Spain and didn't fancy mixing with a few thousand people on the train/bus and of course in the hall itself in the current situation ! However I was actually given the tickets by a friend for making a video for him in Ireland last year and they went instead so they weren't wasted.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Mar 2020, 18:52 (Ref:3963118)   #745
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Coming race meetings in France

Dont want to spoil the Dix Mille Tours thread and thank Mike for his comprehension. Matter of fact, yesterday the official promoter was confirming Albi, first meeting of our national season. Today, this meeting is confirmed again and only the dates have change, moved from April to July. You all know HVM, those people are serious, they welcome foreigners two or three times a year during Motor's Cups. They just obey to the instances.

What is the health situation here? Honestly, I dont know! Seems our gov' didn't take the threaten too seriously and now they have to cure instead of preventing. Will this affect -infect?- other meetings, no one can say. At least some Froggies are learning they have to wash their hands… sometimes!

Last edited by Gerard C; 11 Mar 2020 at 18:58.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 18:57 (Ref:3963119)   #746
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place

As said with Joe, tout commence et tout finit en chansons we like to say. Just an example of this world turning mad. My gran parents who suffered two conflicts use to stock, just in case. Mum did too. What kind of stuff? Oil, salt, sugar and many pasta. Now see what people are stocking? Toilet paper! In what respect will it be useful if they have no food? Oui, c'est la merde!
Old 11 Mar 2020, 19:09 (Ref:3963121)   #747
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A quick visit to our local small supermarket this evening. A lady 3 places ahead of me in the payment queue had 2 packs of spaghetti/linguine and 2 packs of fusilli/penne.

She was advised that she could only buy 3 packs of pasta.

I later asked what was restricted, apart from pasta.

Toilet rolls, Kitchen rolls, hand cleansers and most cleaning materials.

So far drinking products seem to be unaffected.

Also cigarettes.

There were a more than usual pizzas on the shelves and many more than usual in the cheap "must use by today" chilled unit at reduced price.

I assume pizza (made who knows where) is considered an Italian Risk whereas pasta, likely made in Italy, is not.

We live in strange times.
Old 11 Mar 2020, 19:47 (Ref:3963132)   #748
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
We live in strange times Sure! We have to change some habits. For instance, reading beyond the lines one could think you can safely make love but no kiss…
Wahoo, a lot of training for my home "work"! See you morrow!
Old 12 Mar 2020, 02:14 (Ref:3963230)   #749
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
We live in strange times Sure! We have to change some habits. For instance, reading beyond the lines one could think you can safely make love but no kiss…
Wahoo, a lot of training for my home "work"! See you morrow!
Hehehe we have been told no 'social contact' (with outsiders).... Handshakes, cheek-kisses, hugs, the normal greetings ingrained in our culture are all a no-no. Instead we are told to elbow bump! (That is the official word at the Grand Prix where traditional greeting forms are I read somewhere officially banned!)
Old 12 Mar 2020, 07:05 (Ref:3963273)   #750
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Elbow bump??? Tu es fou de prendre autant de risques, arrête moi ça tout de suite! Never with a French at least, cose we're told to caugh in our elbow! Je pense que vous avez été infectés par des théories venues de bonnes soeurs bolchéviques!
Those are not enough decadent greetings, lets learn Harlem style or better bring the twist back! Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoPDNGOD9Y
And if you really want a clean show, what about a… soap opéra?